• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Rice barrels so I "bit the bullet" and put a deposit on one this morning and will be picking it up next week as I drive through NC.
The barrel is a 32" .45 cal, 1:18 twist. Should be just right for those bigger conicals. First up will be the 340 gr
I-bullet from Accurate Moulds. I'll also be trying my .42 cal paper patched bullets and see what shoots the best.
Guys have any other ideas on what bullets to try?

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Rice barrels so I "bit the bullet" and put a deposit on one this morning and will be picking it up next week as I drive through NC.
The barrel is a 32" .45 cal, 1:18 twist. Should be just right for those bigger conicals. First up will be the 340 gr
I-bullet from Accurate Moulds. I'll also be trying my .42 cal paper patched bullets and see what shoots the best.
.45 caliber, 1-18 twist, try a heavier bullet, that twist should stabilize 500+ grain bullets

please let us know on ACCURACY i think you made the right choice

Well that just about exhausted my mad money. I was going to have one of my Rem 700MLs rebarreled to .45 cal but that is going to be put on hold for a while.

My 1:18 45 cal barrel loves the NEI 500 gn bullet I cast from 1:30 tin:lead. Mine are lubed with "Juniors Lube", never tried paper patch. With a good rest, it gets boring putting those big bullets through one ragged hole at 100 yds.
😊

My 1:18 45 cal barrel loves the NEI 500 gn bullet I cast from 1:30 tin:lead. Mine are lubed with "Juniors Lube", never tried paper patch. With a good rest, it gets boring putting those big bullets through one ragged hole at 100 yds.
😊
1678642760746.png
I'll be trying this bullet too = 500 gr .458" that I'll size down

Kinda new to custom barrels.... actually more or less a virgin on the subject. Is is possible/feasible to order a Rice (or other) custom barrel, install a T/C Hawken breach plug and fit it to a T/C lock and stock? Got a .45 barrel with a ring in it and am considering options. Probably a borderline stupid question.

Kinda new to custom barrels.... actually more or less a virgin on the subject. Is is possible/feasible to order a Rice (or other) custom barrel, install a T/C Hawken breach plug and fit it to a T/C lock and stock? Got a .45 barrel with a ring in it and am considering options. Probably a borderline stupid question.
At $420 for a prepared built drop in you may as well shop for a good used barrel or even a complete rifle! But, using a GM or Colerain barrel you could build up the drop in yourself for a lot less but still not as little as you might pay for a good used tc 45 barrel.

In the event you or anybody for that matter launches a tc drop in build, I suggest that you start the parts collection with the breech plug with threads to match an available barrel. That's the only part that would be hard to find in todays market. No point gathering up a bunch of parts but not being able to get the one that you need to finish it.

At $420 for a prepared built drop in you may as well shop for a good used barrel or even a complete rifle! But, using a GM or Colerain barrel you could build up the drop in yourself for a lot less but still not as little as you might pay for a good used tc 45 barrel.

In the event you or anybody for that matter launches a tc drop in build, I suggest that you start the parts collection with the breech plug with threads to match an available barrel. That's the only part that would be hard to find in todays market. No point gathering up a bunch of parts but not being able to get the one that you need to finish it.
I just received my Rice yesterday and I will likely take it out on its maiden range session on Thursday. I'll let you know if it was worth the extra $$

Lyman 451114. 450 grain flat point grease grooved bullets work well as cast in my rice barrels. Buffalo Arms Company has a pretty good selection of bullets if you want to try a few first. I’ve also sized .457” bullets all the way down to .450 successfully.

lyman 45114
8843CB9D-7E74-4608-AB8B-248D72729B5A.jpeg

I’ve done it both ways. Jason builds a hell of a nice drop in and for right now it was well worth the price of admission. I suspect Colerain would build a drop in too.

Lyman 451114. 450 grain flat point grease grooved bullets work well as cast in my rice barrels. Buffalo Arms Company has a pretty good selection of bullets if you want to try a few first. I’ve also sized .457” bullets all the way down to .450 successfully.

That's a good looking bullet Karma but I'm going to be trying my Accurate Mold 340-i bullet and a paper patched 340 11mm bullet to start out with. I also have some 500 gr cast spire point ones to try.

Back