• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help me to decide?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Investarms Gemmer Hawken or Pedersoli Kentucky?

• Investarms Gemmer Hawken

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Pedersoli Kentucky

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Im looking at two very different percussion rifles, one is a investarms gemmer hawken .50 cal 1-66' twist 9lbs or so , and one is a pedersoli kentucky percussion 50 cal 1-48' twist 6 lbs or so. I plan on only shooting patched round balls, they will be used for hunting season as well a maybe a rendezvous possibly.Heres links to the Inverstarms Gemmer Hawken , and the Pedersoli Kentucky. Im not exactly new to muzzleloading ive shot pistols for fun, a remington 44 army and a kentucky pistol, I have a traditions hawken I built from a kit 10 years ago thats been hanging on the wall but never shot (will be selling soon). Any help on which to decide is greatly appreciated. Poll is also here to vote on. thanks guys.

Last edited:
Make a list of Pros and Cons and pick the winning rifle from that list.

It's impossible for other people to pick a rifle for your hunting/target shooting needs and your body structure/strength.
You’re right :/. Sadly I live no where near a shop to physically check either rifle out.

Both are decent rifles. I didn’t realize the price on the Investarms was that high now, not surprised. With the price between the two relatively close it just depends on what look and feel you prefer.
I take it even though Hawkens were around the Kentucky would be a safer option at a rendezvous. 🤔

If your primary use will be rendezvous, then I might go with the Kentucky. If you hunt big game, go for the Gemmer [which is just the Lyman Great Plains rifle, previously made by Investarms]. I have one of each, but the Kentucky was imported by Euroarms [marked Pedersoli]. I would not want to shoot an Elk load in my Kentucky rifle. Polecat 🦨

If your primary use will be rendezvous, then I might go with the Kentucky. If you hunt big game, go for the Gemmer [which is just the Lyman Great Plains rifle, previously made by Investarms]. I have one of each, but the Kentucky was imported by Euroarms [marked Pedersoli]. I would not want to shoot an Elk load in my Kentucky rifle. Polecat 🦨
Mostly and probably just deer, the option to shoot elk would be nice though, but if it’s not stout enough to handle a huge grain charge…hmm lots to think about…thanks for the input polecat!

Mostly and probably just deer, the option to shoot elk would be nice though, but if it’s not stout enough to handle a huge grain charge…hmm lots to think about…thanks for the input polecat!

If you want the option to hunt elk then go 54. Not that a 50 wouldn't be adequate but 54 is in some cases a legal requirement.

Also note that the Gemmer is 1:60 twist rather than 1:66. Not an issue but in case it's important to you.

If you want the option to hunt elk then go 54. Not that a 50 wouldn't be adequate but 54 is in some cases a legal requirement.

Also note that the Gemmer is 1:60 twist rather than 1:66. Not an issue but in case it's important to you.
1:60 twist is what I meant, my typo…oops… Oregon law requires .45 or larger for deer and .50 or larger for elk, I have 4 boxes of .50 cal round balls, I suppose I could always recast them to .54 too. Idk, so far I’m more unsure of what I want than when I started this post 🙃 thanks for your input.

1:60 twist is what I meant, my typo…oops… Oregon law requires .45 or larger for deer and .50 or larger for elk, I have 4 boxes of .50 cal round balls, I suppose I could always recast them to .54 too. Idk, so far I’m more unsure of what I want than when I started this post 🙃 thanks for your input.
That happens a lot around here. 😂

Being as how I must disclose that I am a member of the Gemmer Muzzle Loading Gun Club, I am inclined to recommend the Gemmer rifle. Of course, @Clanman92 must dismiss my prejudices and chose the rifle that is correct for his needs. If hunting elk is possibly a future hunt then the Gemmer Rifle in 54 caliber. Being heavier, the Gemmer rifle will handle recoil a bit easier than the 6 pound Kentucky rifle. A 50 caliber rifle with a conical bullet might be acceptable for elk hunting, but game laws have to be checked and verified. For deer hunting in dense woods, the lighter Kentucky rifle will be better to carry. For one shot, recoil can be reasonably tolerated. Both rifles have adequate performance specifications to be effective hunting rifles for deer and smaller game and both will have reasonably good on target accuracy.

Of real importance is how these rifles are to be shot. The Gemmer Rifle will have the curved butt plate that is best shot offhand and resting in the pocket between the shoulder and the bicep with rifle across the chest allowing the supporting arm to rest on the chest. Such an offhand rifle can be hard to hold on a rest. The Kentucy rifle with a bit flatter butt plate can be shot from the shoulder using a stance where the shooter faces more toward the target. What style of shooting will be done by Clanman92?

Most Rendezvous have pretty lax restrictions on the rifles used and either should be acceptable by the Rendezvous organizers.

Speaking of Gemmer, I need some help with mine. I have an Investarms Flinter, that I had Bobby Hoyt bore out to .58 smooth and cut to 26 inches. While the lock seems to work well, I was wondering if anyone knows of a Lock or Locks that could replace the original without too much angst & work? I am aware the L&R makes a replacement, but I have been reading many posts recently that the quality for the lock seems to have gone down hill? Any and all recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Gemmer Hoyt Hawken 3.jpg
    Gemmer Hoyt Hawken 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Im looking at two very different percussion rifles, one is a investarms gemmer hawken .50 cal 1-66' twist 9lbs or so , and one is a pedersoli kentucky percussion 50 cal 1-48' twist 6 lbs or so. I plan on only shooting patched round balls, they will be used for hunting season as well a maybe a rendezvous possibly.Heres links to the Inverstarms Gemmer Hawken , and the Pedersoli Kentucky. Im not exactly new to muzzleloading ive shot pistols for fun, a remington 44 army and a kentucky pistol, I have a traditions hawken I built from a kit 10 years ago thats been hanging on the wall but never shot (will be selling soon). Any help on which to decide is greatly appreciated. Poll is also here to vote on. thanks guys.

Im looking at two very different percussion rifles, one is a investarms gemmer hawken .50 cal 1-66' twist 9lbs or so , and one is a pedersoli kentucky percussion 50 cal 1-48' twist 6 lbs or so. I plan on only shooting patched round balls, they will be used for hunting season as well a maybe a rendezvous possibly.Heres links to the Inverstarms Gemmer Hawken , and the Pedersoli Kentucky. Im not exactly new to muzzleloading ive shot pistols for fun, a remington 44 army and a kentucky pistol, I have a traditions hawken I built from a kit 10 years ago thats been hanging on the wall but never shot (will be selling soon). Any help on which to decide is greatly appreciated

. Poll is also here to vote on. thanks guys.

P r iginal,

If the Traditions Hawken you built is a .50, and you are wanting accuracy above anything else in hunting, what leads you to discount that rifle before giving it a try? My CVA (forerunner of Traditions) St. Louis Hawken .50 is still a tack-driver after 35 years of moderate use, and I have never had a problem about it at what few rendezvous events I have attended. I stripped the orangeish stain off it, restained it w/ an 1830's iron nitrate recipe, rubbed several layers of hot linseed oil and powdered soot into it, and finished it off w/ antique dome-head brass tacks. People think it`s a museum piece until they see the adjustable sights.

Just saying you already may have what you want, and don't know it.

I DO have to mention that my barrel twist is 1/48", and I hunt mostly w/ conicals... more reliable when one of our 300+ lb. pineywoods rooters wanders by!

So, of course, spending some time seeing how yours does w/ a PRB would be part of the evaluation of seeing if you already have something that does what you are wanting to do...

Last edited:
Back