• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me to decide?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Investarms Gemmer Hawken or Pedersoli Kentucky?

• Investarms Gemmer Hawken

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Pedersoli Kentucky

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
I take it even though Hawkens were around the Kentucky would be a safer option at a rendezvous. šŸ¤”
Depends on event.
Generally a rendezvous is ā€˜pre 1840ā€™ and not super strict. If itā€™s time specifically or place specific that should be spelled out ahead of time.
Personally I like Kentucky better than Hawken. But itā€™s just a matter of taste. Both will serve you well, both are gateway drugs to leave you wanting more

The Investarms Gemmer Hawken has a set trigger. The Pedersoli Kentucky does not. That may be a consideration for you. The Gemmer is 1:60ā€ or 1:66ā€ and the Kentucky is 1:48ā€. Most people tend to think the slower twist is better for PRB. It also may depend on which has the deeper rifling. I have a .50 Investarms Lyman GPR (the predecessor to the Gemmer), and a few Pedersolis. I like them all, but I do like the set triggers more than just the single trigger. I donā€™t think you will go wrong with either.

ā€˜Poet

Investarms makes fine rifles and in my opinion are the equal of Pedersoli. I have
both. For whitetails I use an Investarms carbine(Hawken Style). As was pointed out,
your Traditions should go to the range for a Trial of work-up loads. It is likely all
you need- and you have it now. However, the grass is always greener on the
other side with something new. And it is hard to get too many of these addicting
passion sticks.

The Gemmer in .54 will be hard to beat! The description listed others, a Demick, it's a Dimick Hawken I have a RRA Dimick in .54.
Nit Wit

1:60 twist is what I meant, my typoā€¦oopsā€¦ Oregon law requires .45 or larger for deer and .50 or larger for elk, I have 4 boxes of .50 cal round balls, I suppose I could always recast them to .54 too. Idk, so far Iā€™m more unsure of what I want than when I started this post šŸ™ƒ thanks for your input.
They actually lowered the minimum caliber for deer to 40 (or #1 Buckshot) a couple of years back. Elk is still 50 or better.

Good Luck!

Walt

They actually lowered the minimum caliber for deer to 40 (or #1 Buckshot) a couple of years back. Elk is still 50 or better.

Good Luck!

Walt
Thanks for that, I got this years regulation book but havenā€™t looked in it yet, Iā€™m thinking the 50 would be good enough for elk under 100 yards with a conical. For deer Ill just stick with a round ball.

I don't know that I'd feel comfortable hunting for deer with my 40.

A 50 cal conical should do the job on Elk. The last deer I shot was with a 385-grain Great Plains bullet and 90 grains of Goex. It was complete overkill! Yep, a ball for deer and a conical for Elk should do just fine.

Walt

After all the shipping troubles with the Kentucky, Inflated prices on Pedersolis, and horror storries about post covid Pedersoli fit and finish, I decided to go with the Gemmer after all but in 50 caliber. Muzzle-loaders is about 4 hours away from my house so shipping shouldnt be too long and if theres any issues I can return it. :)

The Gun Works in Springfield Oregon bought the last of the Lyman guns. They may have a GPR.

They don't have them listed on their website. Best to give them a call @ (541) 741-4118

Good Luck,

Walt

P.S.: With the shipping problems I had last year, I'd go pick the Gemmer up!

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky in .45-itā€™s a nicely made, very good quality rifle that I never shoot anymore because of the lack of set triggers and more of a pain to clean, it also beats my face up worse than any other rifle I own. The Pedersoli-made GPR I have is a tack driver but a little heavy with a very tight bore. My Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken is an absolute joy to shoot, easy to clean, and about as enjoyable to look at as any production rifle Iā€™ve found so it gets most of my attention.

First Gemmer hawken didnā€™t survive shipping, waiting for an rma and a replacementā€¦
333249DF-BEFD-43BB-84CC-3BDA0D358B5A.jpeg

Back