• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which side to carry possible bag and powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a lefty. I shoot left handed guns. I carry my possibles bag on the right, and my horn on the left. Just easier for me as I can pull gear out with the right hand, pour powder with my left. Have always done that way.

Seeing as your "possibles" bag has nothing to do with firing the next shot, carry it in whichever side it is most out of the way.
For the horn, I prefer mine on the side I shoot from, along with my shot pouch.
This is because I hold the gun to be loaded with the stock heel behind and to the side of my support side foot, using my support side hand and/or arm to hold the gun. This allows me to use my dominant hand to manipulate things from and to the shot pouch and to pour powder.
Some panicky people will keep the horn to the opposite side for fear of a spark or something from the flashhole or pan of a flintlock entering the horn and blowing it up.

I am right handed . I carry my horn and shot bag on my left hand side , firstly to keep the horn away from my pan flash , unfortunately this places my horn next to a right hander if I am shooting in a line . I find I have more control of my rifle if I hold it with my right hand , and have practiced for years to use my left hand for loading .
If you look at the natural curve in a cow horn , you can see that horns can curve in at the tip and lie snug against the body which keeps the horn from snagging on brush etc, or curve out which makes it easier to get to . Placement of the horn strap can also make a difference . So when you buy a horn make sure it curves the way you need it to fit you correctly .

I am a lefty shooting a right handed flintlock. Which side should I carry my possibles bag? Which side for the powder horn?
That is something entirely up to you.

I'm a rifhtie and carry the horn and possibles bag on the right, but my shooting bag is on the left. I carry my horn spout forward, but I've seen some carry spout backwards .
Just enjoy.

.... . So when you buy a horn make sure it curves the way you need it to fit you correctly .

I prefer only the c one curve. Some call these straight horns. This way I can carry wither side comfortably.

I think it is more important to not have the horn hang to low...or to belt it down if it is long.

I am left handed and generally carry my rifle in my left hand while hunting. I carry my bag and horn on my right side so that the rifle is not banging into the bag or horn while walking. Much quieter.

ADK Bigfoot
Same here. When first started BP shooting I tried carrying gun and bag/horn on the same side. It just didn't work for me.

Right hand shooter… Possibles bag on right, knife on left… rifle carried in crook of left arm (if hunting alone). If hunting/walking with someone else, rifle carried on sling or in right hand with muzzle pointed down.

Try loading from each side a couple of times with no loading bench around, the one that feels most natural is the one for you.

Everyone makes this so much more complicated than it needs to be :doh:

I am a lefty shooting a right handed flintlock. Which side should I carry my possibles bag? Which side for the powder horn?
The answer is whichever side is most comfortable, or useful. I'm also a left-handed shooter. When I shoot my rifle, which is built left sided, I wear both horn and bag on the left side. When shooting my French fusil, which, as they were in the 18th century, is right sided, I wear the bag and horn with straps crossing; the bag on the right, and the horn on the left.

First of all, what is a "possibles bag?" Don't call it that. You seem to be serious about muzzleloading, so call it as it is - shooting bag or hunting pouch. Your bag and horn should be on the same side and not dangling too low. The horn should lay on the flap of the bag. Decide whether you want to work with the right hand or left hand during the loading process. That's the side you put your bag on. Another consideration will be the buckle. It goes on the back of the strap.

I shoot from the right shoulder but I can do most everything else with either hand so...

That doesn't answer your question though does it?

First of all, what is a "possibles bag?" Don't call it that. You seem to be serious about muzzleloading, so call it as it is - shooting bag or hunting pouch. Your bag and horn should be on the same side and not dangling too low. The horn should lay on the flap of the bag. Decide whether you want to work with the right hand or left hand during the loading process. That's the side you put your bag on. Another consideration will be the buckle. It goes on the back of the strap.
C'mon, really? Everybody knows what a possibles bag is. Sorry, were not in a HCPC re-enactors rendezvous here, just shooting muzzleloaders. I didnt realize the vocabulary police were here.

I too am lefty shooting right. I carry my bag on left side because it seems the dexterity of left is better. Can find stuff easier plus hold measure, pour from right. If just plinking this is ok but if hunting I use load tubes and carry minimal.

I shoot right handed. My pouch (or cartridge box) is on the right as is the powderhorn (if carried) up as high under my arm as practicable . I load my rifle , fowler or musket on the left side slanted to the rear with the heal resting on the ground or just above in the 18th century military manner.

Been re-enacting, shooting , and building blackpowder muzzleloaders, and making accoutrements since 1974.
How about the terms ball bag or ball pouch, or even belt pouch?
I like my buckle on the front strap in order to hang my touchhole pick and pan brush from it, it is easier to reach, if I need to adjust it.
I agree high and tight with the horn over the flap is good for moving over terrain, etc.
Unless you are portraying a military soldier, or militiaman, there was no standard way to carry your "possibles bag" as illustrated by all these responses.
Be respectful of others opinions and terminology.

For what ever reason I like my left to keep things in. I’m right hand, but keys, pocket knife, shopping receipts all go in left.
when I started ml I put my bag and horn on the left.
when I went to my first shoot I saw all the guys and two girls with bag on right. I switched over right. Took a bit to used to it there.
Paintings from the time are pretty universally right. But that’s a very small percentage of people with bags on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back