• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
My youngest son, received a 36 cal Pietta as a present from a buddy of mine. He turned around and bought a 44 cal for #2 son so they could shoot together.

Then a bunch of stuff happened we won't go into. The bottom line is that I was going to get a black powder revolver to shoot with my sons, and the project fell by the wayside.

I'm looking for suggestions on a first BP revolver. I'd like to stay in the 44-45 cal range. I'd like a reliable gun that's fun to shoot.

Any ideas?

I had a lot of luck with a recently purchased Pietta 1860. Well made and finished, available reasonably.
Most all cap and ball revolvers need handiwork polishing, deburring, etc. . but mine minimally...I only needed to do some stoning and polishing to the hammer face to make it totally reliable. At twenty yards, I am more accurate than with my Smith and Wesson 28...I think the grip and ergonomics go a long way. I think the smaller C+P revolvers are more finicky.

Remington 1858 New Army. I also have most of the Colts, but for a first cap 'n ball revolver, my opinion is the Remmy has a slight edge. As for maker, my opinion is that Uberti has a slight edge (but you pay for it).

https://www.uberti-usa.com/black-powder-revolvers/1858-new-army-revolvers
Agree. A Uberti 1858 Remington has a better chance of being good to go right out of the box than most of the other BP revolvers. Second choice would be a Pietta 1851 Navy to avoid potentially having to deal with the arbor and endshake adjustments on a Uberti 1851.

Remington 1858 New Army. I also have most of the Colts, but for a first cap 'n ball revolver, my opinion is the Remmy has a slight edge. As for maker, my opinion is that Uberti has a slight edge (but you pay for it).

https://www.uberti-usa.com/black-powder-revolvers/1858-new-army-revolvers
I second that suggestion. A Uberti Remington NMA steel frame is my first choice for a first time BP revolver. The two high points are the stronger frame and ease of cylinder removal.

Still too small. ....
No, I don't think so. I have one and the "feel" of the grip is essentially the same as my Colt 1860. Yes, the butt of the grip is still slightly shorter, but the important part - the distance from the trigger to the grip, which is what crimps large hands or fat fingers - is actually a couple millimeters longer on the large-frame Remmy. The only noticeable grip difference between the Remmy and the Colt is that on the Remmy you might only have half a pinky on the grip, which for me, I can deal with.

So, have you actually tried one?

Last edited:
Any ideas?
Yeah. There are 3 frame/grip styles commonly available, (currently)
1851 Colt Navy
1860 Colt Army
1858 Remington New Army
There are other models of army, navy, police,, but they are all based on those 3 common frames.
Now don't jump on me folks, there's lots of collector versions of many replicas out there, these are the most common.
Versions of each are available in both 36 and 44 so that's not an issue,, my point is each of those 3 basic frames have a different feel in your hand when it comes to grip and balance.
Everyone's hands are different. So if at all possible find those 3 frames and handle them, get an idea how they fit and feel in YOUR hand before you make a purchase.
I have a great big club hand, my ring finger is a size 18, but it's the 1851 that fit's me/feels most comfortable to me,,,
Good luck,, if you can, touch'm before ya buy'm. 😇

Last edited:
If you have any experience with modern single action revolvers, the 1858 will be the easiest to learn. The Remington style is pretty much a regular single action that you load from the front and put caps on the back. The Colt is a different critter. It works just fine but it's a little harder to put caps on unless you use a cap holder. And the whole wedge deal holding the barrel onto the front of the frame and cylinder can be a little complicated. I have an older Pietta 1858 that I have been shooting or a while and a brand new (2023) Pietta 1851 Navy .44 that I took out for the first time today. I think the Colt is more "fiddley" if that's a real word. But, the Colt is easier to clean because it falls apart when the wedge is out. If I had to carry one to shoot bad guys the 1858 would win but the Colt is more fun and I think it's prettier. The 1858 is easier to load for me because there is more room around the front of the cylinder. They are both great fun and I'm glad I have both. So, if you are flush, just buy one of each. Good luck to you.

Regarding grip size, I learned to shoot single-action revolvers by curling my little finger under the bottom strap. This keeps your hand from riding up the grip with repetitive shots. It keeps your hand in one place on the grip, which aids consistent shooting. It was my understanding that the Navy-sized grips, including on the Model P unmentionable, were designed and intended to be shot this way. The longer grip frame of the Colt M1860 Army revolver may enable some folks to get all their fingers on it, but you actually lose some stability that way, which may be the reason Colt went back to the Navy-sized grip for the later Model P.

If you feel a revolver’s grip frame is too small for your hands, this technique may be worth a try.

However, the 1860 Colt was a very popular gun on the frontier, and it continued to be issued well into the 1870’s. People must have liked that longer grip. Benteen sent a report to the Ordnance Department stating that the “cylinder spring” (probably the hand spring) of the Remington revolvers frequently got out of order. The chief complaint with the Colt was not really about the revolver, but about the ammunition for it. For their cap and ball revolvers, the troopers were issued paper cartridges that would open up and spill powder when jostled.

Notchy Bob

No, I don't think so. I have one and the "feel" of the grip is essentially the same as my Colt 1860. Yes, the butt of the grip is still slightly shorter, but the important part - the distance from the trigger to the grip, which is what crimps large hands or fat fingers - is actually a couple millimeters longer on the large-frame Remmy. The only noticeable grip difference between the Remmy and the Colt is that on the Remmy you might only have half a pinky on the grip, which for me, I can deal with.

So, have you actually tried one?
Yes, I really did want to like the Remington and for a while I owned an 1875 Remington. That grip was good. The succeeding model, the 1890 was overkill with a very weird grip design, (like they’d heard every complaint about the percussion gun and by God they were gonna fix that problem!) I’ve owned maybe ten of the 1858’s at various times over the years. I’ve kinda lost count. I still have a couple of the Navy caliber 1858’s made by Uberti & Gregorelli for Navy Arms . I also have one Shooters Model that will go to my great granddaughter. She loves it and shoots it well.

My vote goes to an 1860 Army, but handle both the Colts and a Remington, shoot if possible. Ifin I were to have only one it would be my 2nd Model Dragoon. If ya like the Colts and don't mind the weight, one of the four Dragoon Models would be a good choice.

Dixie Gun Works sells a large-frame 1858.
Which offering from Dixie is the "Large-frame" 1858?
Can you provide a link to that special framed revolver to show us?
And provide the specific information that makes it "large" vrs "small"?
Caliber differentials are mute, the frame of a 36 is the same as the frame of a 44 besides skirt,,
Barrel length doesn't matter to the frame,,
So, what is the difference? And which one is it?

Last edited:
How long has the Ruger Old Army been out of production?
20yrs? 25?
15 years actually. Ruger’s son didn’t see the return on investment to produce them because nowadays is all about the pennies, not the customer base. But on the other hand the Colt 1860 has been out of production for 135 years longer than the Ruger and plenty of makers have made repros to fill the nostalgia need. May be in 2108, on the anniversary of the production cessation someone will have the great idea of making a repro of the ROA to honor the best C&B revolver ever produced… and they will all be 5.5”bbl with beveled and deeper chambers, fixed sight, bright Stainless with mother of pearl grips Don’t think many of us will be around to see it, but, day dreaming is free!!

My youngest son, received a 36 cal Pietta as a present from a buddy of mine. He turned around and bought a 44 cal for #2 son so they could shoot together.

Then a bunch of stuff happened we won't go into. The bottom line is that I was going to get a black powder revolver to shoot with my sons, and the project fell by the wayside.

I'm looking for suggestions on a first BP revolver. I'd like to stay in the 44-45 cal range. I'd like a reliable gun that's fun to shoot.

Any ideas?
FIRST -- Go to a shooting club near you and try various pistols before you lay down your hard earned cash.

Which offering from Dixie is the "Large-frame" 1858?
Can you provide a link to that special framed revolver to show us?
And provide the specific information that makes it "large" vrs "small"?
Caliber differentials are mute, the frame of a 36 is the same as the frame of a 44 besides skirt,,
Barrel length doesn't matter to the frame,,
So, what is the difference? And which one is it?
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...odel+Army+Revolver+-+Oversize+frame+and+grips

Back