• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Champfer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know champfering is a common(?) modification on BP revolver cylinders. I now own four revolvers, all .44, and plan to buy at least one .31 and .36 caliber revolver. I want to make my guns the best they can be, but I'm not sure about champfering cylinders. I've been shooting my 1860 Colt Army (reproduction) for 50 years abd have always watched for the ring of lead to be shaved off of the ball when loading. It makes me think I'm getting the exact right fit of ball to cylinder. Seems like the ring won't be shaved off in a champfered cylinder. Why do I want to champfer my cylinders?

I’ve never chamfered a chamber. I have one revolver that came with a chamfered cylinder and it shoots fine but not exceptionally well. Don’t really believe it accomplishes anything or you can bet I’d be doing it.

The only thing that I personally would be concerned with would be if you have a burr on the chamber mouth and the opening with the burr is smaller in size than the chamber itself. If that was the case you could shave a ring of lead, but the ball would then be smaller than the chamber. Then you could have the balls in the chambers moving forward creating space between the ball and powder, which is bad. Not likely to happen but it can.

Latest posts

Back