• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which pistol would be used with my rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone. Just finished building a Pedersoli Scout carbine. The Scout Carbine .50 percussion is a “carbine” version of the Pennsylvania Rifle.

I want to build a pistol kit to go with it. So I am curious which model/style would have been commonly carried with this style rifle ?

Look forward to seeing your replies
Thanks

A Pennsylvania Pistol. I just bought one from a fellow member. It is stamped "Pennsylvania 44". This particular one was from Richland Arms Co. Stamped made in Italy, but I see no makers mark. Would be nice to find one in 50 so you could carry one ball. The one I have would match well with a Scout.

A Pennsylvania Pistol. I just bought one from a fellow member. It is stamped "Pennsylvania 44". This particular one was from Richland Arms Co. Stamped made in Italy, but I see no makers mark. Would be nice to find one in 50 so you could carry one ball. The one I have would match well with a Scout.

Thanks Old Hawkeye, I pulled up the older thread showing the pistol. Nice looking pistol. That gives me an idea of what to look for. I like the full stock.

Like you said, something in 50 would be best.

Howdy everyone. Just finished building a Pedersoli Scout carbine. The Scout Carbine .50 percussion is a “carbine” version of the Pennsylvania Rifle.

I want to build a pistol kit to go with it. So I am curious which model/style would have been commonly carried with this style rifle ?

Look forward to seeing your replies
Thanks
Just something to consider: I bought a Pedersoli .50 Kentucky pistol maybe 10 years ago and I found it wasn't exactly .50. I tried loading .50 slugs and unmentionable thingys ( just for the heck of it as that's what my rifle shoots but they wouldn't load.) Also had .490 RB and thin patch. Still no good. Had to go to .480 RB to get it down the barrel and it shoots good. Point being if you plan to use same ammo in both you may want to check bore diameter first before buying. Also, two identical .50's may shoot the same ammo just fine, but some don't. Only shooting will tell.

Just something to consider: I bought a Pedersoli .50 Kentucky pistol maybe 10 years ago and I found it wasn't exactly .50. I tried loading .50 slugs and unmentionable thingys ( just for the heck of it as that's what my rifle shoots but they wouldn't load.) Also had .490 RB and thin patch. Still no good. Had to go to .480 RB to get it down the barrel and it shoots good. Point being if you plan to use same ammo in both you may want to check bore diameter first before buying. Also, two identical .50's may shoot the same ammo just fine, but some don't. Only shooting will tell.

Thank you very much for that great information. Will definitely be checking bore size.

I think I'd be searching around for a Lyman .50 caliber....tough as all get out and shoot good too....

Anything that was available and affordable. Even a large caliber military smoothbore, which is what I would have leaned toward myself if available. Loaded with buckshot most of the time if I frequented dangerous places.
nothing like a load of buckshot delivered at bad breath range says “ Leave me alone ! “.

So I am curious which model/style would have been commonly carried with this style rifle ?
Honestly? There is no historical version of pistol that would compliment a modern replication of a BP rifle that has nothing to do with historical firearms.
Many modern available over the counter rifles and pistols are "traditional" only by the nature of design and don't always follow actual historical configuration/replication of such.
So you see(?), a pistol that would be used with your "style" of rifle correctly doesn't exist.
Don't be dis-heartened with that. Just choose a pistol that you like, and join the rest of us,, trying to enjoy the hobby and resurrecting at least some parts of our forefathers history. 😇

Thanks Old Hawkeye, I pulled up the older thread showing the pistol. Nice looking pistol. That gives me an idea of what to look for. I like the full stock.

Like you said, something in 50 would be best.
Love to be able to have a matching pistol to go along with my mountain rifle:(

Honestly? There is no historical version of pistol that would compliment a modern replication of a BP rifle that has nothing to do with historical firearms.
Many modern available over the counter rifles and pistols are "traditional" only by the nature of design and don't always follow actual historical configuration/replication of such.
So you see(?), a pistol that would be used with your "style" of rifle correctly doesn't exist.
Don't be dis-heartened with that. Just choose a pistol that you like, and join the rest of us,, trying to enjoy the hobby and resurrecting at least some parts of our forefathers history. 😇
Or as @Wizzard1962 is planning to do, accept that the pistol that shoots the same size ball and patch combo is the one that would complement his rifle. Necchi is correct and Pedersoli Scout is generic version of a Pennsylvania rifle with no real historical provenance except for being a full stocked sidelock rifle. Any of the generic Kentucky styled pistols of 50 caliber (that also have a barrel sized for a 0.490 ball) would be suitable.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your wisdom and great advice. I'll start my quest looking for a 50 cal, hopefully full stocked. Will let y,all know what I end up with.

I think I'd be searching around for a Lyman .50 caliber....tough as all get out and shoot good too....
Well you gun is an ‘in the style of’ with out being ‘ copy of ‘ or “ patterned after’ so one can’t assign a date to your gun. However in general it’s an 1800 eastren gun.
The Lyman pistol is made to match the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. A pistol for the west and about thirty years or more after your gun
A Kentucky style pistol would match your gun the best. Also the Harpers Ferry style and you could go with an earlier military.
As stated pistols might even in the same caliber require different ammo

Well you gun is an ‘in the style of’ with out being ‘ copy of ‘ or “ patterned after’ so one can’t assign a date to your gun. However in general it’s an 1800 eastren gun.
The Lyman pistol is made to match the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. A pistol for the west and about thirty years or more after your gun
A Kentucky style pistol would match your gun the best. Also the Harpers Ferry style and you could go with an earlier military.
As stated pistols might even in the same caliber require different ammo

Thanks for the info tenngun, so far I have looked at a few different styles, kentucky being one of them. I have looked at a couple different kits that stated it used a .490 ball. So hopefully stating that, it will shoot the same ball as my rifle.

Thanks again

Back