• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

which Leman kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doulos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive been thinking for a while that a leman kit should be my first try at building.Ive been following Joe Yanta's thread.
TOTW says they are one of their easiest kits. Thats what I need.
Which kit do you guys prefer and why
TOTW
TVM
Pecatonica

Their was a thread talking about the TVM kits a couple of weeks ago and it was said that all thought the TVM kit was a little more than the TOW kit, there was a LOT more of the work already done for you.

Robert

Doulos I think a Leman rifle build is a good choice for a first build. In my experience the Northwest trade gun was the easiest build. Of course, I need to exclude the "screwdriver kits" that just require assembly, blueing or browning of the metal and couple coats of the desired stock finish.

I have built several firearms. That ranges from stocking modern bolt actions, "screwdriver kits", a TVM Northwest trade gun, TOTW full stock Hawken, and my current project the TOTW Leman.

My first TOTW took about 6 months to receive all the parts. My fault, I didn't read "in stock"/"on order". This kit I received everything in about 4 days. If you have been reading the other thread, you know there is some debate wether or not the nose cap is correct. The parts are quality, but they need to be finished and fitted. I would think any "kit" you buy will need that.

My experience with TVM is that communication via email or phone has been poor. I can get one email from them and that is it. Never been able to reach them by phone. Thats not the parts TVM but Avance's TVM. There are two TVM's (Manufacturing is parts and kits, Muzzleloading is finsihed arms and kits). I think TVM has a better selection of premium parts. The next build I do will be with a Chamber's lock.

Either company would be a good selection. The difference in price can be made up by having less stock work to be done on the TVM kit. The TOTW kit you will need to cut the butt plate and length of pull. There is a lot of wood to be removed. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

Invest is some new files, drill bits and scrapers. They will make you project go smoother and cleaner. When reading the instructions besure to think through the instruction and visualize the consequences of the instruction. The instructions may not be exactly accurate. You might concider talking to your kit supplier and ask them how authentic and correct they are to original firearms.

I wish you well on project. It's a great way to get away from the TV. I actually think I might have lost a pound or two last month.

Joe :hatsoff:

So basically on the TVM kit all the works is done, you just drill a couple of holes & assemble it & brown the barrel & apply finish to the stock & yer done.. :snore: Wow.... that is sure a challenge....

TVM has a good description of there kits on there websight. Most of the barrel work is done like installing the breech plug and the hole for the drum or touch hole is drilled and tapped.Dove tails are cut, holes drilled for the stakes. TVM are some good people to deal with and will help you with any questions that you might have. Give them a call. Dew

No thanks. I would rather build one, rather than just assemble one. :wink: I am sure it is a good starting place for some, like a GPR kit. :thumbsup:

I am currently building a Leman halfstock in .58cal. I bought all the parts from Pecatonica River. Super peolpe to deal with. This is definately not a screw driver kit. You have to actually work on it. I'm coming along OK, slightly behind schedule for the Nov bear season. But, I think I can have her ready to go in time. I wouldn't buy anything until I at least called Mr Greensides and talked to him. Someday I will post some pics of my Bar rifle. Hopefully with a dead bear in the pic.

Have fun with it.
I've built over 14 of his kits and they can be work but they make an excellent gun if you take your time. :)

Latest posts

Back