• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Flints Produce the Best Spark?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle-loader

32 Cal
Reaction score
We are currently conducting some research regarding muzzleloader flints and we wanted to see what you all thought. What types of agate have you found to produce the best spark and durability?

I've used French and English flints to great satisfaction. Never tried agate. And I'm not inclined to go hunting for them in Kansas, either.

The only agate flints I've tried were sawn. Results were so inconsistent that I gave up long ago, though I kept trying once or twice a decade. Now I just keep a sawn flint in my bag as a reminder to never buy them again.

We are currently conducting some research regarding muzzleloader flints and we wanted to see what you all thought. What types of agate have you found to produce the best spark and durability?
BURGOYNE SPEAKS A.jpg

LD

The couple of sawn agate flints I've tried didn't last long and couldn't be knapped to renew the edge (or if there is a way to sharpen them I don't know what it is). My impression is they're an attempt to produce a completely uniform product that gets used a few times and then tossed. They're fine if you don't shoot much.

Asking that question undoubtedly will produce the most and best sparks. 😄
Actually, the best spark is achieved through a combination of good lock, properly hardened frizzen and a good rock. Decried by some but I have used German sawn flints for decades. They sparked very well for me in a Pete Allen Siler lock and did quite well in others. They also lasted a long-long time. No doubt English black are excellent, I have used them much without complaint.

Waiting on first flintlock to arrive but bought a bag of French amber.
I'm new to the flint game, but I too bought a dozen of the French amber flints.

I use Rich Pierce white flints, English black flints and French amber. Have never tried an agate and have never heard anything positive about them.
Is that the Rich Pierce that's a member here?

Latest posts

Back