• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to start

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDee Flohr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had a wild hair for a long time to own a double barreled combination gun. something about 20 gauge on one barrel and rifled .40 or so on the other, and in flintlock.
It must be a side by side........if we were meant to shoot over/under's we would of been made with our eyes that way. :shocked2:
Guy's, I'm really at a loss where to start. I've searched the web and really haven't come across any good pics of anything like I want. Our local museum has a huge collection of original muzzleloaders, but nothing like I want. I realize a bunch of parts will need to be fabricated, but if I just had some good pics to go off of would be a great start.
Anybody have any ideas, photos, or web sites I can check out?
Thanks in advance.

Fossil Hunter said:
I've had a wild hair for a long time to own a double barreled combination gun. something about 20 gauge on one barrel and rifled .40 or so on the other, and in flintlock.
It must be a side by side........Anybody have any ideas, photos, or web sites I can check out?
Thanks in advance.

From the '72 movie, Jeremiah Johnson, Paints-his-shirt-red has a doublebarrelled rifle that looks to be a rifle-smoothbore combo. Don't know if it's a flinter though
PaintsHisShirtRed.jpg

Check out Doc White's page at whitemuzzleloading.com. I know he once made a double flinter in .45 cal - maybe he'd be willing to make what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a big first chaw to take. There are good books out on creating a double barreled shotgun and that's where I'd start. Look in the books section at Track for example. I think the easiest approach would be to get an old percussion double barrel shotgun and line one of the barrels with a rifled liner.

I've thought about a project like this as well, two things to consider. It is going to be very heavy, especially a double rifle, packing a heavy gun for any length of time, quickly diminishes it's appeal. And generally, any device that serves two purposes, rarely does both well. I use the camping knife with the fork and spoon as an analogy, not good silverware, not a very good knife either.

Savage makes an over and under like that, not a good shotgun too heavy, short, and not a good rifle, too clubby for a single shot 22.

Having said that, a S X S double shotgun flinter interests me.

-Ron

Rich, it would be quite an undertaking but it's not my first rodeo. I have no trouble building parts, I just need to see what I need to build. I thought about lining a barrel as suggested but really want oct. barrels. Sure, it will be heavy, so am I. :shocked2: My main questions are has anyone seen one with oct. barrels? If so, did it have a top and bottom rib or were the barrels joined without them. Also, were they made with same size barrels or were some with different sized? Seems is my memory serves me, I once seen one with different sized barrels but can't remember the logistics of how they were joined.

Some research into the history of the Drilling Rifles (probably mis-spelled) of Germany may be helpful. I don't know if they were always cartridge guns, but they may go back far enough to have been muzzleloaders, and you may well stumble across a Zweiling.

Back