• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to find good stout wooden ram rods???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the steel range rod from Kibbler, but once I had it in my hand I wondered why I did. I have a half dozen rods that all would have worked, and even with the plastic muzzle jig I don't like the idea of putting steel down a rifled barrel, though as long as you use it properly it isn't a problem. I agree that brass is a much better option.

Necchi said,
"All b.s aside, Wood rods are for display or for a purist that knows the rod will fail and need replacing many times in the life of his rifle,, just like they did."

I say, Amen, Bro. A search for a perfect wood rod may consume a lifetime. Use wood for show. Get Delrin for actual use. It is unbreakable/safe.

Personally I’ve been using red oak from lowes and Home Depot.

It works just fine, but not great for thinner rods.

A little wood turners hack i picked up.

I sand the rods down to only 150 grit and seal up with a very thin turner’s crazy glue. It makes the rods very hard and durable. Often used on arrows.

A good solid hickory rod, properly used will literally last for ever.
Come on guys, it’s been done this way for hundreds of years.
All of my guns use a .005” undersized ball, with a .020” patch, all loaded with the rod under the gun.
Been doing this over 30 years, and only broken 1 ramrod. Because I didn’t use the rod properly. Didn’t choke up enough.

Has anyone else out there used scraped-down shoots or saplings for ramrods? I have been using the same one, made from a long sparkleberry arrowshaft, on my CVA St. Louis Hawken for over 33 years. The concentric growth ring structure seems to make it exceptionally strong and stiff, with NO grain runoff.
I have not yet had to replace a ramrod on any of my longrifles, but I likely will at least experiment with a scraped-down sparkleberry shoot or persimmon sapling between now and then. I guess if I were out West, I would try some Red Osier dogwood; our native Flowering Dogwood here rarely grows shoots long enough even for arrows.

Personally I’ve been using red oak from lowes and Home Depot.

It works just fine, but not great for thinner rods.

A little wood turners hack i picked up.

I sand the rods down to only 150 grit and seal up with a very thin turner’s crazy glue. It makes the rods very hard and durable. Often used on arrows.

Hickory supplies have been pretty low… to ship a hickory rod isn’t cost effective too. Many Supplies like Cincinnati dowel co No longer supply hickory.

So people are left with what’s available

Has anyone else out there used scraped-down shoots or saplings for ramrods? I have been using the same one, made from a long sparkleberry arrowshaft, on my CVA St. Louis Hawken for over 33 years. The concentric growth ring structure seems to make it exceptionally strong and stiff, with NO grain runoff.
I have not yet had to replace a ramrod on any of my longrifles, but I likely will at least experiment with a scraped-down sparkleberry shoot or persimmon sapling between now and then. I guess if I were out West, I would try some Red Osier dogwood; our native Flowering Dogwood here rarely grows shoots long enough even for arrows.
We had a very good discussion of that very topic here on the forum not too long ago. Here is a link to that thread: Expedient Sapling Ramrod Works Fine

I would agree that the concentric growth rings of a sapling might be stronger than a billet split from a larger log, with better resistance to lateral stresses.

I think persimmon would be a good choice. It is very tough and resilient. I have a persimmon stave I cut two years ago, intending to make a ramrod, but I just haven't gotten around to shaving it down yet. It has a couple of somewhat crooked spots that will need to be straightened also. Lots of people who have never actually done it will tell you how easy that is.

Yaupon (locally pronounced YO-pahn), a species of holly, is common where I live. There are entire groves of it in places where I like to walk. It is not hard to find a straight sapling, but I can't vouch for the strength of the wood. I have a few sticks of yaupon hanging up in my shed. Southeastern natives used yaupon shoots for arrow shafts and, of course, it is also the source for the leaves used in brewing the "black drink." Arrows can take a beating, so it would probably work well enough as a ramrod, especially considering the concentric growth rings and absence of runout.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

If you are using the right patch and ball combination, you won't be breaking ramrods. I have rifles decades old with the original ramrods. One of my guns is around 175 years old, and the ramrod appears original. If you need a short starter, you need to cone the barrel, or use a smaller ball, or thinner patch to fix the problem of hard loading. I don't think I've broke a ramrod from loading in over 30 years.

Yaupon (locally pronounced YO-pahn), a species of holly, is common where I live. There are entire groves of it in places where I like to walk. It is not hard to find a straight sapling, but I can't vouch for the strength of the wood. I have a few sticks of yaupon hanging up in my shed. Southeastern natives used yaupon shoots for arrow shafts and, of course, it is also the source for the leaves used in brewing the "black drink." Arrows can take a beating, so it would probably work well enough as a ramrod, especially considering the concentric growth rings and absence of runout.
Been using yaupon for over 30 years for tipi stakes. I chamfer the flat end. They last a long time if you A: put the pointy end in the ground first and B: drive them with a wood, rawhide or even a (shudder) plastic mallet. They tend to crack or split when mis-hit with a metal hammer.

We had a very good discussion of that very topic here on the forum not too long ago. Here is a link to that thread: Expedient Sapling Ramrod Works Fine

I would agree that the concentric growth rings of a sapling might be stronger than a billet split from a larger log, with better resistance to lateral stresses.

I think persimmon would be a good choice. It is very tough and resilient. I have a persimmon stave I cut two years ago, intending to make a ramrod, but I just haven't gotten around to shaving it down yet. It has a couple of somewhat crooked spots that will need to be straightened also. Lots of people who have never actually done it will tell you how easy that is.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
If you live in yaupon country, we are closer neighbors than I realized... The coastal plain of the Northern Gulf of Mexico is the original heartland of the shrub. I have harvested and seasoned shoots of it, but I have not been able to feel okay with using a sacred plant used for medicine (my community is still pretty traditional about such things) to make weapons...
But, if it WEREN'T in such a category, it definitely would be kick-butt material for both arrows and ramrods!

Hit me up with a PM... we'd probably enjoy hanging out slinging sticks and burning powder!

If you are using the right patch and ball combination, you won't be breaking ramrods. I have rifles decades old with the original ramrods. One of my guns is around 175 years old, and the ramrod appears original. If you need a short starter, you need to cone the barrel, or use a smaller ball, or thinner patch to fix the problem of hard loading. I don't think I've broke a ramrod from loading in over 30 years.

The only times I’ve broke ramrods was when i was making them, turning them in a drill, they got jammed up and snapped.

Never broke one loading.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

One thing i have done for myself and others is make what I’d call a reinforced ramrod.

This generally only works on larger rods.

You can use almost any wood. I’ve done one in walnut and one in ash.

Bore out the dowel with a 1/16-1/8 drill on a lathe in 10-12” sections.

assemble the rod with a 1/16 or 1/8 steel rod that is tempered or use stainless steel.

Epoxy each section, with a 1/8 or larger you can cross pin the metal rod for extra security.

It take a bit of work but what it essentially is, a steel rod that is sleeved with wooden dowels.

Attach the tips.

This generally does not work for smaller rods at 5/16 or less. I’ve never attempted one that skinny.

It takes a bit of work and i woudn’t call it a necessity … but many do need extra pierce of mind that they have the best ramrod they can possibly have in the field.

I broke several hickory rods when I first started.
Then I found the Nearly indestructible rod.
Its a piece of 3/8 all thread, pushed thru a hollow hickory rod, and glued together.
Been using it since 2005, still works great.
Dont know if they even sell them any more.

Its a piece of 3/8 all thread, pushed thru a hollow hickory rod, and glued together.

I made a dozen of those a few years ago.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Old guys know stuff.😁

Where do you find hollow hickory rods 44 inches long?

Back