• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to find good stout wooden ram rods???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you find hollow hickory rods 44 inches long?
They start with a inch or so diameter, then drillem out and rotate the glue soaked all thread in, them widdle down the wood to size.
Even came with a different thread receiver on each end. Fits either size cleaning bits.

Mine is 42 inches long.

Here in France we have no access to any of the good US suppliers of such things so we tend to make our own from Brass, Aluminium or hardwoods available here. Ramin dowell seems to be a good substitute for the more desirable Hickory. There are of course plenty of carbon fibre range rods available, but I do try to be a bit more authentic.

You can find them in kit form as well !

Attachments

• IMG_9849.jpeg
    IMG_9849.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Here in France we have no access to any of the good US suppliers of such things so we tend to make our own from Brass, Aluminium or hardwoods available here. Ramin dowell seems to be a good substitute for the more desirable Hickory. There are of course plenty of carbon fibre range rods available, but I do try to be a bit more authentic.
Ash (genus Fraxinus) makes good ramrods, and I understand there is a lot of it growing in France. If you could get some straight-grained sticks of ash they could be worked into ramrods.

I don't have the reference handy, but I recall reading that some British trade guns were equipped with ash ramrods. I have also read that some of them were fitted with lancewood, which is a tropical hardwood (probably Oxandra lanceolata, West Indian lancewood) well suited for long, slender objects like fishing rods and pool cues. And ramrods, I suppose.

Hickory is widely believed to make the best wooden ramrods, but there are other options.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Are you looking for a locally made ram rod, or a stave to waive your white flag?
Just funnin’ you.
“Lafayette, nous voilà"- Col. Charles E. Stanton.

i have a .40 with a rather long barrel and i want a couple strong, well built ram rods. the original that came with it is perfect but i'm really trying to save it as it matches the rifle exactly with stain and fit. i bought a couple wooden ram rod blanks and finished them out but they are no where near stiff enough to seat a ball in that length of barrel. any recommendations???
Log Cabin Shop , Lodi Ohio .

Ash (genus Fraxinus) makes good ramrods, and I understand there is a lot of it growing in France. If you could get some straight-grained sticks of ash they could be worked into ramrods.

I don't have the reference handy, but I recall reading that some British trade guns were equipped with ash ramrods. I have also read that some of them were fitted with lancewood, which is a tropical hardwood (probably Oxandra lanceolata, West Indian lancewood) well suited for long, slender objects like fishing rods and pool cues. And ramrods, I suppose.

Hickory is widely believed to make the best wooden ramrods, but there are other options.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks, Bob. You are right there is lots of it round here. So much in fact that I have an Ash tree in my yard! Time to strip a bough off it and get working!

i have a .40 with a rather long barrel and i want a couple strong, well built ram rods. the original that came with it is perfect but i'm really trying to save it as it matches the rifle exactly with stain and fit. i bought a couple wooden ram rod blanks and finished them out but they are no where near stiff enough to seat a ball in that length of barrel. any recommendations???

I make my own from planks of Hickory, Ash or White Oak.

Oak makes a fine ramrod.

One trick is to finish your ramrod with a very thin super glue. I penetrates the wood grain deep and seals it up while giving it some elasticity and hardening properties.

Latest posts

Back