• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do i ship a muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to ship a muzzleloader. UPS would not let me ship it to an individual. How do i ship this gun. It is a GPR in the box, disassembled like it comes new.

Yep, USPS.

Just don't write anything on the outside of the box about it being a firearm. They get really pissy about that.

Use the Post Office, I`ve had no problems shipping long guns with the USPS. Ship it insured priority mail. UPS is a PITA with guns. Every person you talk to behind the counter will come up with their own version of the rules. A muzzleloader doesn`t have to ship to an FFL because they are not considered guns by the ATF but try to convince that to an anti gun nut at UPS. I used to ship guns back when I had my FFL and got so tired of argueing the rules with UPS that I just went with USPS for all long guns.

Yep, like everyone else has said, send your muzzleloaders by USPS. You will have to tell them what you are shipping and you will want to insure it but they will give you no problems with shipping a muzzleloader.

I once tried to ship a muzzleloader barrel by UPS. They wouldn't ship it even though their regulations allowed them to do so. I just took it to another UPS store and shipped it as a "precision bored tube". Since I never used any of the dirty words such as "gun part", "gun barrel" or "firearm", they asked no questions and gladly shipped my gun barrel.....uh...I mean "precision bored tube". Even so, I now use only USPS and have no problems.

Billnpatti said:
Yep, like everyone else has said, send your muzzleloaders by USPS. You will have to tell them what you are shipping and you will want to insure it but they will give you no problems with shipping a muzzleloader.

I once tried to ship a muzzleloader barrel by UPS. They wouldn't ship it even though their regulations allowed them to do so. I just took it to another UPS store and shipped it as a "precision bored tube". Since I never used any of the dirty words such as "gun part", "gun barrel" or "firearm", they asked no questions and gladly shipped my gun barrel.....uh...I mean "precision bored tube". Even so, I now use only USPS and have no problems.

usps will never ask what is in the box they could care less. just make sure it is bomb prof and insure against loss because they wont pay if it just gets broke.... ask me how i learned the hardway!

I've received gun shipments by UPS but never shipped by them. I've shipped several MLs by FedEx with no problem whatsoever. Guess it's just where the store is.

Don't be surprised if you get some hassle even at the Post Office. Like any other business, they are run by humans and humans interpret things differently. The first time I took a M/L in the clerk asked what it was (yes, they can and do ask) and when I told her, she told me they could not ship guns. I told her that they could as it was considered an antique firearm. Again she said no. I asked for the Postmaster. He cam out and told me "No". I go home, download the USPS regs concerning the matter, printed it out and back to the PO. They all looked like the little boy that pooped his pants, and took my package. They don't even bother to ask anymore . :surrender:

Its simple you don't offer any info not called for. When they ask if its perishable you say no and nothing else. Its perfectly legal to ship muzzleloaders thru the mail and no liberal anti-gun post office worker needs to know thats whats in the box.

I like using the phrase, machined parts when sending muzzleloaders through the mail.

Many Klatch

I have shipped both UPS and USPS and if its a bolt gun take the bolt out and hammer guns take the hammer off and you can honestly say it is gun parts. Never had a problem.

And if you get caught you are most likely going to be charges with a felony & jail time.

Removing a Bolt from a rifle Does NOT make it legal to ship as a gun part. It is still a rifle that requires a FFL license to ship. If you remove the RECEIVER, then you could ship the rest of it as parts.

Keith Lisle

edmelott said:
Hey guys, trying to ship a muzzleloader. UPS would not let me ship it to an individual. How do i ship this gun. It is a GPR in the box, disassembled like it comes new.

Mail it. No need to mention that its a firearm.

Dan

MeatStick said:
I have shipped both UPS and USPS and if its a bolt gun take the bolt out and hammer guns take the hammer off and you can honestly say it is gun parts. Never had a problem.

This is only legal if shipped to an FFL holder.
If you have a problem it will end your firearms ownership, probably forever. ANY violation of the federal gun laws is a felony and there is little chance of getting rights restored unless things have changed recently.

The part with a serial number IS the FIREARM.
So while you can send any other part the RECEIVER/FRAME is a FIREARM and is regulated as such. Don't matter if its stripped bare. Still a firearm under Federal law.
******** law, but its been in effect since 1968.

Dan

Back