• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where can I buy Nodules for knapping Gun Flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two nodules from Dixie several years ago. I had intended to try some knapping, but, as with many of my grand schemes, nothing came of it. There they sit.

You'll get a lot of material with the raw nodules from Dixie, although I expect a lot of it will end up as waste. I will say, their nodules appear to be the "real deal," black flint in large, irregularly shaped lumps partially covered with white chalk.

I still haven't learned to knap, but after researching it some years ago, I uncovered a few resources. You might be better off getting some spalls or shards already broken off the nodule. I would suggest www.goknapping.com as a resource. I've ordered a few odds and ends from them a couple of times. It's a small, family operation with fast response and good customer service. One time, they enclosed a beautifully knapped finished projectile point with my order, as a "thank you" gift.

Good luck with your endeavour!

Notchy Bob

I bought two nodules from Dixie several years ago. I had intended to try some knapping, but, as with many of my grand schemes, nothing came of it. There they sit.

You'll get a lot of material with the raw nodules from Dixie, although I expect a lot of it will end up as waste. I will say, their nodules appear to be the "real deal," black flint in large, irregularly shaped lumps partially covered with white chalk.

I still haven't learned to knap, but after researching it some years ago, I uncovered a few resources. You might be better off getting some spalls or shards already broken off the nodule. I would suggest www.goknapping.com as a resource. I've ordered a few odds and ends from them a couple of times. It's a small, family operation with fast response and good customer service. One time, they enclosed a beautifully knapped finished projectile point with my order, as a "thank you" gift.

Good luck with your endeavour!

Notchy Bob
Thanks for the info @Notchy Bob !

I have chunks of English flint nodules that were dredged up from the bottom of the Delaware river by a dredge. The nodules were part of the ballast from the sailing ships, then they were thrown overboard to make way for the goods being sent back to England.
I have sent some pieces to M. De Land in exchange for some of his chert.
We might be able to work out some kind of deal, Hatchet Jack.

Last edited:
I have chunks of English flint nodules that were dredged up from the bottom of the Delaware river by a dredge. The nodules were part of the ballast from the sailing ships, then they were thrown overboard to make way for the goods being sent back to England.
I have sent some pieces to M. De Land in exchange for some of his chert.
We might be able to work out some kind of deal, Hatchet Jack.
Thank you @ord sgt. I would like to discuss it with Mr De Land. Is he a member of this board? If not perhaps I could PM you to discuss how to contact him?

Yea but where's the fun in that? There's basically 2 or 3 suppliers of decent English flints in the US. Go look and you'll see they are out of stock. Define easier when you can't get them.

Thank you @ord sgt. I would like to discuss it with Mr De Land. Is he a member of this board? If not perhaps I could PM you to discuss how to contact him?
I have several nodules of English flint. Most still have the chalk outer coating. These nodules have been immersed in the Delaware River, near Philadelphia since the 1700's. A river dredge brought them to the surface.
Yes, M. DeLand is on this forum. I have chatted with him many times. I received some pieces of chert that he knapped into rifle sizes flints. I sent to him some chards of the flint nodules in exchange for his handiwork.

If you would like some of the flint that I have, we can work out some type of deal. Let me know.

I have several nodules of English flint. Most still have the chalk outer coating. These nodules have been immersed in the Delaware River, near Philadelphia since the 1700's. A river dredge brought them to the surface.
Yes, M. DeLand is on this forum. I have chatted with him many times. I received some pieces of chert that he knapped into rifle sizes flints. I sent to him some chards of the flint nodules in exchange for his handiwork.

If you would like some of the flint that I have, we can work out some type of deal. Let me know.
I will PM you @ord sgt. Thanks!

isn't it just easier to buy flints already made?

What happens when there isnt any more. Right now the entire firearms industry is out of just about everything.
I can make everything needed to operate it.
I can use the modern firearms for defense. Ammo is already darn hard to find.
I can use the flinter for hunting.

I do flintknapping as a hobby and have made quite few gunflints. You dont have to use english flint you can use any chert or flint. It just needs to spark.

I recommend using any Texas chert, Georgetown Chert, Indiana/Kentucky Hornstone, any tough chert will work. You can always test it with a steel striker.

Flints can be both unifacially flaked or bifacially flaked. Natives often made their own flints from local cherts using the same methods to make a projectile point.

Heres a few articles that I like.

https://www.hsmcdigshistory.org/clu...om-cobble-to-gun-making-do-in-early-maryland/
https://albertashistoricplaces.com/... of information,where the flints were stored.
https://prehistorics-uk.blogspot.com/2014/08/

What happens when there isnt any more. Right now the entire firearms industry is out of just about everything.
I can make everything needed to operate it.
I can use the modern firearms for defense. Ammo is already darn hard to find.
I can use the flinter for hunting.
Exactly....

Unless you are a good knapper you may not get many usable flints out of a nodule. I tried, I made mostly junk. I can make arrowheads. You all that have good rocks in your area are lucky. In coastal California we have nothing.

Latest posts

Back