• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's With Ebony.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have experimented with ebony in the manufacture of fire pistons and found it very hard to work and brittle. It splinters easily. Also, since it is an African / East Asian wood its use in an American firearm may not be historically correct.

I have an original W.W. Greener shotgun with an ebony ramrod.
case1.jpg

case3.jpg

Spence

That's a wonderful piece. I was unaware that Greener's went back into the percussion era. Any idea as to the date of manufacture?

Your photo reminds me of something I've been meaning to comment on. Many photos of original pistols and shotguns from the 19th century indicate that loading from a flask was a common practice. Yet, rifle shooters of today often advise to avoid this as the flask or horn may become a bomb from residual bore embers. While this seems to make sense, I have never found a reference relating to an actual event. Perhaps this perception is related to the well intentioned guidance offered in the Black Powder Bible publications from the 1970's.

Ebony is used for risers in traditional bows and is becoming hard to obtain. I have had a few longbows with macassar ebony risers.

Tom A. Hawk said: "I was unaware that Greener's went back into the percussion era. Any idea as to the date of manufacture?"

Greener is still in business, Graham Greener is the honcho, now. He thinks my shotgun was built about 1871.

Spence

Latest posts

Back