• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would you choose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fitter said:
Bill, I don't know what happened when Colerain bought the business from Paris. Paris used to make a good barrel. Perhaps old machinery?

I don't have enough experience to speak to the comparative merit of the barrels, but I CAN vouch for the fact that Colerain has some old machinery.
The shop is 15 miles down the road from my house, so I stopped down a while back.

Scott was nice as could be - let me walk around the shop and stare at the machines while they were crankin' out barrels.
(OSHA would probably not approve ! :shocked2: )

He was saying how some of the machines were manufacturing barrels during World War I.
Had been retrofitted from the old overhead master belt-drive system.

I'm using a Colerain in my current build, but again, I don't have enough perspective to comment on their quality.
I will say this though: the shop was fascinating, with those big old machines and their milling arms clanking back and forth.

I may go back someday soon and do a small pictorial for posting here.

For round ball hunting in the woods and field, I would prefer a 36 inch barrel in 50 caliber. With 7/8 barrel, you aren't going to be shooting heavy loads. The barrel is long enough to get max oomph from a moderate hunting charge. but that 6 inches shorter will alleviate the front heavy feeling you are likely to get with a 42. Also, the gun is a bit shorter and slightly easier to manuever through the brush.

Since you said it is for hunting, fine target accuracy of a premium barrel isn't necessary. I'd go with a 36 GM.

thanks for all the info
learning alot like I might wan't a bit bigger barrel 15/16 or 1" yet also might want a bit shorter.

The Rifle I just built has a 44" Green Mountain B swamped barrel on it. The weight is very nice, easy to handle. Shoots like a laser, last time I shot it, one fellow I was with had never shot a flintlock, and his first shot at 80 yards he hit a 1/2" bullseye on a 100 yard scoped rifle target. His second shot was about 1 1/2" out from that. Had to swab after about 4 rounds or the groups began to open up. I'd buy another gun with a Green Mountain, without hesitation.

I told Dick Greensides when I ordered the parts, the main thing I wanted was accuracy, his reply was "Oh it will be accurate" he was right. I wouldn't want nobody shooting at me with it, especially the guy that was doing 3" groups last time I was out. Made me feel good, he brought an nice old K98 8mm Mauser with open sights, he was all over the paper with that. I have my sights filed very keen, makes a tiny diamond when the front and rear align. Easy to shoot.

-Ron

I want to thank everyone for thier input after reading all comments on all 3 of my threads I have made a berrel choice actualy it was niether of the 2 I started with it will be a
green mountian 1" striaght oct. 36 inch in length
the rate of twist on this barrel is 1:70

IMO, a straight 1 inch barrel in .54 caliber will probably be a good choice.
It weighs in at just under 6 pounds.

In a 42 inch length though a 1 inch, .54 caliber barrels 7 pounds is a mighty weighty thing as I found when I built this rifle
c7ba0684.jpg

It is heavy enough that it would make a great chunk gun but just the idea of carrying it around any distance while hunting makes me tired. :rotf:

I have another rifle, a fullstock Hawken. 1" barrel, 50 cal 36" long and that is one heavy gun. I like everything about it except that.

My next build, I'm going 45 cal 42" long 13/16 across the flats, Green Mountain.

Just for comparison, the Verner style rifle I have is 62" long the barrel is 44 swamped B profile 45 cal, it weighs just a little over 8 pounds, the Hawken weighs around 10 1/2 pounds. Like Zonie says, I'm not looking forward to packing it much. If it had a Walnut stock I'd have to mount casters under it :grin:

-Ron

fitter said:
Bill, I don't know what happened when Colerain bought the business from Paris. Paris used to make a good barrel. ...

It was Getz that bought the Bob Paris & Son barrel making business.
Gary

Gary,I thought Colerain bought machines from Bob Paris as well. I knew that Don originally bought the business, but not everything. Not sure.

Back