• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My perfect squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the rear sight filed in a vee or square?
A vee. All my rifles have the rear sight like that, regardless of the overall configuration. And in sighting, the very tip of the front blade is lined up so it's barely visible at the bottom of the V.
LouisSmithZd1.JPG

Spence

Here is my Fleenor rifle. 7/8" .45cal. It is all German silver that has gone dull. It is beyond polishing. You can see the style and engraving are very similar to the rest shown. Notice that the comb inlay is faceted. It must have been fun to inlet the BP tang inlay. Notice the shaping around the ramrod channel at the nose cap and entry pipe. The channel almost looks sawed off at the front and a nose cap stuck on. The entry pipe is shaped to match the wood. It isn't a store bought pipe. Another Johnson City characteristic is the barrel and ramrod being too deep in the channel. Today's builders want the wood just below halfway of the flat for a slender fore end. The same for the ramod channel. I like to see about 2/3 of the rod and not have it buried in the channel. This rifle is a bit different because it has a 5/16" rod instead of a 3/8" and has more of the rod showing.

DSCF1921.JPGDSCF1922.JPGDSCF1926.JPGDSCF1928.JPGDSCF2013.JPGDSCF1933.JPGDSCF1921.JPGDSCF1922.JPGDSCF1926.JPGDSCF1928.JPGDSCF1930.JPGDSCF1940.JPGDSCF1919.JPGDSCF1934.JPG

Last edited:
What I can't get over is the absolute precision of the in letting and fit of all inlays and furniture. I much prefer letting the wood, skill of in letting , architecture and finish of both wood and steel adorn the gun but this rifle sure is enjoyable to behold. I've never cared much for inlays covering a gun but in this case it just exhibits the superb skill of the fitting which is so attractive to me.
I can imagine setting under an oak or hickory in the warm fall sun enjoying looking at such a rifle in my lap as much as being in the squirrel woods. Living in AK as I have for the last 50 years I surely miss those days of my youth in our hardwoods on the farm potting squirrel in lower Michigan.

If you look at the other pictures of the Smith rifles, they are inlet the airtight same way. Also the wriggle borders(another Johnson City feature) on the inlays look like they were done on a machine. Not a bobble anywhere. I have looked for one.

One of the tricks of such superb fitting, especially with brass is to fit a "proud" (thick) inlay as close as physically possible and then go around the edge with a smooth face hammer and tap out (Extrude) the edge into the wood. Then the brass is draw filed to the wood surface and looks like it grew there. The engraving is done or touched up after the fitting.

Here is my Fleenor rifle. 7/8" .45cal. It is all German silver that has gone dull. It is beyond polishing. You can see the style and engraving are very similar to the rest shown. Notice that the comb inlay is faceted. It must have been fun to inlet the BP tang inlay. Notice the shaping around the ramrod channel at the nose cap and entry pipe. The channel almost looks sawed off at the front and a nose cap stuck on. The entry pipe is shaped to match the wood. It isn't a store bought pipe. Another Johnson City characteristic is the barrel and ramrod being too deep in the channel. Today's builders want the wood just below halfway of the flat for a slender fore end. The same for the ramod channel. I like to see about 2/3 of the rod and not have it buried in the channel. This rifle is a bit different because it has a 5/16" rod instead of a 3/8" and has more of the rod showing.

View attachment 98697View attachment 98698View attachment 98699View attachment 98700View attachment 98710View attachment 98709View attachment 98697View attachment 98698View attachment 98699View attachment 98700View attachment 98708View attachment 98703View attachment 98706View attachment 98711
BEAUTIFUL rifle. Can't say more.

i always wanted a fl in a small caliber so i could menace the tree rats, but i never did. you have a beautiful rifle.

Well if you have to shoot black powder, I guess that might work for ya. Also, if you need to adopt someone, I am available.

Back