• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Custom Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgbruch

40 Cal
Reaction score
Offering for sale, my latest Southern Mountain Rifle. My rifles are influenced by original period works from Baxter Bean, Joseph Bogle Jr., William Douglas, and some unsigned original works.

This rifle features a 44”, .50 caliber, Colerain barrel. The B weight barrel is fully swamped, and comes with Colerain’s standard round bottom rifling, with a twist rate of 1 in 56 inches. The lock is a Jim Chambers Late Ketland; known for its design, speed, and reliability. The double set triggers are hand made by myself (triggers, trigger bar, and springs).

I also make all of the iron furniture for my guns. The butt plate, trigger guard, toe plate, lock bolt washer, ramrod pipes, and sights, are handmade; as they were on original guns.

The stock is a figured piece of Red Maple. As with all my guns, I start with a blank piece of wood, and perform most of the work with hand tools. The finish on the stock is also a traditional scraped and burnished finish, with no sandpaper used to finish the wood. Finishing the stock in this manner takes more time; but it produces a gun that emulates both the look and feel of an original.

The weight of the gun is around 7 ½ pounds. The overall length is a shade over 60 inches. Length of pull is 13 3/8”. And cast-off is 3/16 of an inch. I also hand taper the ramrod. The small end has a tapered iron tip that has 8X32 threads.

The clean lines and architecture speak for themselves with this gun. She is tall, slender, and graceful. The use of a traditional swamped barrel results in a rifle that balances right at the forearm transition. And, when brought up properly, the crescent butt plate locks into the shooters arm between the shoulder and bicep, creating a very stable shooting position.

This gun was built to be used; and there is still plenty of time to work up an accurate load and get to know the gun before hunting season.

My price is $2,900; which includes the cost of a crate and shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Forsale.jpg
    Forsale.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
This rifle is still available, and is an excellent gun for hunting or period reenacting. I'm willing to consider a reasonable offer as well. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back