• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What would it take for the NMLRA to become a true "national" organization?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More feeder matches form the local registered gun clubs that would send qualified shooters to the national shoots. When I played valley and bca pool leagues each local group sent teams to nationals held in Vegas each year.

More feeder matches form the local registered gun clubs that would send qualified shooters to the national shoots. When I played valley and bca pool leagues each local group sent teams to nationals held in Vegas each year.
I've read all the comments, most are negative. Why don't they do this? why don't they do that? The simple answer is money. The magazine cost too much, $4.16 per month, Sports Afield cost $4.66 per month. How many of you belong to the NMLRA? The BOD is made up of members who are voted in by the membership, do you know who they are and what they stand for? Do you know who your regional representative is? Have you made a complaint to him or her? Don't get me wrong, the organization has issues but they can't be fixed without people taking an active part. Everything takes money. The only way to get that money is through membership numbers and donations. I don't like a lot of what they do but I keep up my membership because as bad as you may think they are, they are still a voice supporting this sport.

Although the organization puts alot of work into the magazine, it sucks. It always has and always will. I have been playing this game too long to find it even remotely interesting. I pay $36 and get it digitally. I often don't take time to read it at all. The only magazine that is worse is the NRA Rifleman. I could care less about the latest plastic gun. The rifleman rarely survives at my house more than 5 minutes before it's in the trash. Golly it's absolutely awful.
I agree on the Rifleman sucking and the plastic gun craze. However, there are four other options for the magazine you receive. I can't comment on their content quality though.

I went to Friendship for the National match for the first time this year. I live 4-5 hours away( depending on traffic getting through Indy), so it’s just a bit too far for a day trip, at least for me.
I really had no idea what to expect, but just went for it.
Checked out the campground map, reserved a spot that I thought would work for me, pre-registered for the shoot, and drove down the Thursday before it started.
Spent the first two days figuring out everything, how and where to register, what matches I wanted to shoot, how to get targets, firing line procedures, etc. It was fairly daunting at first, but everyone I asked was very friendly and helpful and I enjoyed myself immensely.
I was fortunate in that the spot I chose to camp was full of old-timers and I got to meet some pretty incredible folks, many of whom you’d recognize from Muzzleblasts.
Im really looking forward to going next year.
Its strange though as one of the previous comments mentioned that they felt it’s a local club with national members. When the old fellow camped next to me asked why I wasn’t going to the membership meeting Sunday night, I responded this is your guys club and range, I just appreciate the fact you open it up to us out-of-towners.
The $50 a year to be able to enjoy the facilities, comraderie, and competitions is worth it to me. It really is a special place in a beautiful setting. You get a sense of history there. I’m just sorry I didn’t get to experience it back in the heydays, especially the 70’s and 80’s.
I do understand the feelings of those who live too far away to participate. If all I got out of it was a magazine, I might reconsider. But I usually find some useful information in them.

Fifty bucks is too steep for a magazine which is about all I receive from the NMLRA. Rejoined a coupla years ago after finding and re-reading my old Muzzleblasts from many years ago. Things change, but $50 is too high.

Were there events closer to home, I'd renew again.
Yes there nice to have but 50.00 is way to high of a price,,,more like 20.00

The nra used to seriously support shooting sports, especially youth events. Then their leadership decided playing politics gave them personal importance/power and took a big step away from shooting and a huge step closer to power now their membership is in steep decline.

I guess they felt that protecting the right to keep and bear arms was important. Kinda hard to shoot when you can't have guns. Duh.

The nra used to seriously support shooting sports, especially youth events. Then their leadership decided playing politics gave them personal importance/power and took a big step away from shooting and a huge step closer to power now their membership is in steep decline.
I guess they felt that protecting the right to keep and bear arms was important. Kinda hard to shoot when you can't have guns. Duh.
I believe the point being made is that the NRA has forgotten their original purpose. Seen the same thing in the IAFF. Fire union reps spending more time in the ”swamp” then in “the trenches”. When you are more concerned with those you’re advocating ‘to’ than those you’re advocating ‘for’, it’s time for an internal upheaval.

I do not believe the NMLRA is easily fixable anymore than the NRA is easily fixable.
People will always say "look at all of the good they have done" instead of "look at what they are doing now."
An apt political quote would be "It's not what you've done for me, it's what have you done for me lately."
Also, I would say that blaming people for not participating is also a foolish tact to take.
There are too many successful, well run businesses and organizations out there, too many active participants and good people of all ages to just say "people these days.".
As with everything, it is always the management, always the people in charge, always the captain of the ship.
Always.
"The buck stops here" is not a very popular concept anymore.
It's more like "the bucks go here".
Checkout the latest CMP newsletter. Youth are everywhere, in large numbers, of all varieties, in many disciplines.
It can be done.

I don't know "how far is too far", but my trip is right at 400 miles. I go there 2X a year now to teach Kibler kit building. I'd rather go there to shoot, but my competitive shooting days are over.
AND, they will sell you all the powder you want if you are a member. With out the hazmat fee.

I do not believe the NMLRA is easily fixable anymore than the NRA is easily fixable.
People will always say "look at all of the good they have done" instead of "look at what they are doing now."
An apt political quote would be "It's not what you've done for me, it's what have you done for me lately."
Also, I would say that blaming people for not participating is also a foolish tact to take.
There are too many successful, well run businesses and organizations out there, too many active participants and good people of all ages to just say "people these days.".
As with everything, it is always the management, always the people in charge, always the captain of the ship.
Always.
"The buck stops here" is not a very popular concept anymore.
It's more like "the bucks go here".
Checkout the latest CMP newsletter. Youth are everywhere, in large numbers, of all varieties, in many disciplines.
It can be done.
It would be easy to fix the NRA, get rid of Wayne and his cabal.

Is there "outreach" going on by the NMLRA? I ask out of ignorance, not criticism. What I'm asking about would be promotional/informational representation at events away from Friendship. Tables at gunshows, shoots, etc. There may well be. Haven't seen any.

$20.00 IS $50.00, these days. Anyone that can publish a nice quality, glossy paper, color, monthly magazine and only charge $20.00 a year for it will have my subscription right then! I have read here a lot of well thought out and well explained issues and ideas for improving the NMLRA but, how many of you are willing to step up and volunteer your time and energy to help make those changes happen? It takes a lot of effort and a lot of time to properly run ANY organization these days so let's all please try to bear that in mind. Since I don't volunteer any of my time or sweat, I don't think I can complain all that much. I would like to see many of the suggestions mentioned here in this forum happen too but it will take more people willing to actually involve themselves in that effort to make it happen.

Latest posts

Back