• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what to lube my shotgun wads with?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky112

32 Cal.
Reaction score
going out to shoot my smoothie tomorrow but I'm not sure what I should lube my wads with.. vegetable oil? gun oil? spit?

I like olive oil. Used to use veg. oil and it works well also. But, it will smell in time if you have some prelubed and in a bag, where olive oil will not.

I used to just soak in some soapy water,let drain and keep in a plastic bag, out of sight in my shooting bag. Works. But, I might start experimenting when my new smoothie comes. Methinks if you are using some kind of oil, do it in a bag you don't care about since the oil will stain the leather.

I make a mixture of equal parts mutton tallow, Crisco and beeswax. I melt this, jab the wad with a pin and run just the edge of the wad through the lube and set it aside to dry. Dipping the whole wad allows it to soak up too much weight IMHO.

If I don't have any of those ready I just wipe patch lube around the edge of the wad. Lube on the top or bottom doesn't do any good.

Nine loads - just add powder & shot.

HPIM0789.jpg

I place a bunch in a tupper ware container and let them soak. Then after an hr. or so, take them all out and let them all drain off. I find that not only does it help the bore from fouling up, it also helps the wads get even softer and kind of disintegrate when shot. All of my fiber cushions are cut in half or even thirds. It is all I need. Since I cut them thinner than they are bought, I usually make about 100-150 at a time and place them in a zip lock bag

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I just daub a bit of beeswax/olive oil mix in the muzzle then seat a cushion wad.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

I use a mix of olive oil and beeswax for wads, patches, and post cleaning bore protection. I make 2 different consistencies. The one that is softer (more oil) is for patches and cleaning. The stiffer one I use for fabric strip shot cups and to seal the pan on wet days.

Warm the oil first then add beeswax shavings. The key is to keep stiring till it sets up. A cap full of Murpheys Oil Soap added just after removing from the heat is great for patches and in the one I use post cleaning, but the thing I like about the mix with out is that its non toxic.

I put em in my mouth when re-loading. I only use the paper or cardboard cards for wad (2 /.125" cards). I actually make them from old 3D ring notebook covers.

Stumpy's mix is pretty typical from most of the guys I know, I use the same lube as for my patches, bear oil/beeswax or olive oil/beeswax around 50/50..adjusted for seasonal changes, mots cut wads in half using 1/4" wads I do not use them anymore just using wadding or OP cards without the wads.Lots of different ways to get to the same place

I use beeswax and olive oil mix for patches wads etc varing the amount of OO to get the consistancy I want,melt it like discussed earlier dip the patch,wad etc and place on a wax paper to dry....they all go in an old altoids tin for carrying,storage

there is a company that uses peanut oil to pre lube the wads, dont use they had pn oil running down everything and was a nightmare to clean up. Thank god i didnt buy some and use them they did shoot okay for thd guys that used them though.

majg1234 said:
I use beeswax and olive oil mix for patches wads etc varing the amount of OO to get the consistancy I want,melt it like discussed earlier dip the patch,wad etc and place on a wax paper to dry....they all go in an old altoids tin for carrying,storage
:thumbsup:

liquid wrench works really well, just spray on, then squeeze out the excess. you can shoot all day.

I heat up crisco in a pan and let my wads soak up the hot grease. Take them out and let them dip dry. Once it cools down the wads aren’t oily to the touch but are saturated enough that makes for ease of loading.

Back