• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to look for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Fitzgibbon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When you guys look at a just shot patch, just what
do you want to see with the powder marks?Should
there be a constent black round ring?

Should you see just the rifleing marks or what?

Fly :idunno:

I mostly look for holes and tears, as indicators of problems. Here's an old photo.
2to1.jpg

I guess you'd say that in addition to no holes or tears, I've also got a black ring plus rifling marks.

The central area that was behind the ball may be colored a light tan, dark brown or even quite black depending on the powder type and the powder load.

The area where the patched was squeezed between the ball and the rifling should show the rifling marks and mine are usually a bit lighter in color than the material that was behind the ball.
There should not be any cut material or burn marks in this area.
Sometimes, just inside this ring the patch will be much blacker but this was caused by the fouling from the previous shot that was wiped from the bore as the patch/ball was rammed down to the powder charge.

Outside this squeezed area the patch should look pretty much like it did before it was shot.
It may be somewhat tattered and in the outer areas it may be totally blown apart with just fragments of the cloth hanging on.
This is normal and demonstrates the power of a supersonic blast of air on a piece of cloth.

The main thing I look for is cutting/burning of the patch. If your load/patch/ bore condition is correct, the used patches should show some blackening, but look good enough to reuse! If they are burned through either they are too thin or you should use a "buffer". If they are torn/cut your lands/crown need smoothed. :hmm:

Well there not cut & have a thin round black ring
where it road down the barrel.The other edge of
the patch is fraded.So I guess there OK.

They look much like the picture above.

Thanks Fellows
Fly

Fly: The Best "education" you can get about reading patches, and targets to learn what is going on inside the barrel of your MLer can be found in Dutch Schoultz' Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System.

Go to this site:
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

and order Dutch's system. Its the cheapest $20.00 you are ever going to spend.

To answer your question, a spent patch, that was properly lubed, should show NO holes in the center portions of the fabric.

The Edges will FRAY when they are Whipped back at the muzzle when the fabric hits the air. But the fraying generally is about 1/32-1/16" back from the edge, and should go no further.

The very center of the patch should be discolored- yellow to orange from the lube burning at the back of the patch. It should not be BC, or be burned away!

There should be a darker- brown to black-- soot RING where the edge of the RB actually pushes against the patch and barrel. Typically, this should be a ring about 1/32" wide, but a complete circle. The Edges of the ring should be well defined.

If you have tears in the patch, either the patch is too thin for the Ball and bore diameter combination, or you are not using the right lube, or enough lube.

If you get holes in one spot consistently, look for a sharp edge on the face of the lands at the muzzle Crown. If not that, then you have a burr or sharp edge on one( or more) land(s), that needs to be removed.

If you see little black soot "daggers" going forward of the RING of soot on the patch, the patch is not providing a good enough seal in the bottom of the grooves. Either use a thicker patch, or consider using an OP wad or Filler between the powder and PRB. OP wads and fillers provide a better gas seal, and a "FIREWALL" that protects a thin patch from burning.

You can't change anything without knowing to the thousandths of an inch, what your bore and groove diameters are, and then what your ball diameters ARE. Do not trust the stampings on commercially- boxed, Swaged lead balls. They may or may not be the diameter indicated on the box. If you don't have them, investing in a good caliper, and a good micrometer is a life-time investment that will prove useful in many ways. I recommend a DIAL caliper, rather than the new Digital Caliper for anyone who is not employed as a machinist, as you simply don't use calipers enough as a hobbyist to justify the greater cost of the digital calipers, and they become just another place to store dead batteries! :shocked2:

You can buy a good dial caliper for less than $30.00 from a number of suppliers listed here on our "Links" pages, as well as from Harbor Freight. Because of the advent of digital micrometers, a lot of very fine quality micrometers that were hand turned and read to 1/10,000 th of an inch are available used for very good prices, if you haunt tool auctions and sales. I see them at flea markets, too. A Click-adjusted micrometer should be available for about $75-$100.

Understand that casting bullets from wheel weights, or any alloy of lead containing tin and antimony will produce LIGHTER weight balls, and balls that are slightly LARGER in diameter, than balls cast from pure lead. The Antimony will make the balls Harder, so they don't expand on impacting flesh like a pure lead ball does.

Hard alloy lead balls are often CHOSEN by hunters when they want greater penetration when hunting dangerous game. Adjustments in patch diameter, and lube choices are made to match these harder balls to their particular rifle. :hmm:

But, reading your spent patches is the key to understand what change is needed. :shocked2: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back