• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What period?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adbranaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lancaster Pennslyvania .45. What is the farthest back in time or period can I protray. It is a flintlock, but I also have a percussion lock for it too. It is made by Pendersoli.

s270_s275a.jpg

I'll be a little more charitable. It's a flintlock, it sports a 41-5/8" long barrel, the butt-stock is a kinda/sorta Haga shape of what is known as the Womelsdorg-Reading School.

MVC-267Fa04.jpg

But it lacks a lot of the characteristics that would be expected.

So, it mostly depends on how authentic you wish or may be expected to portray (like with an organized group). For general purpose it's sort of a late flint c.1815/1820 kind of rifle. In percussion 1825 to 1850. Some Revolutionary War groups would allow that for their events - especially for a new member.

Don't get too hung up on details. Lots of happy T/C Hawken and Renegade shooters are portraying buckskinners of the 1820's and having a great time of it. I have a Renegade and it's as close as I need to be to a plains rifle for having fun and hunting. My T/C New Englander I play with as a pseudo Great Lakes gun of the late percussion era.

That gun doesn't look like any real Lancaster gun I've seen. It does kinda resemble some of the later period guns and should fit into the 1820 to 1840 period. I think trying to use this gun any earlier than that would be a stretch. :v

It wouldn't be accepted at any Juried reenactment event. That said, the closest it might come as it's a composite might be 1800, 1810. Some Italians put together what they thought one might look like, and still sell. It would only pass muster at a fourth of July parade, and then only after a few beers at the local VFW hall. That said it's an OK shooter, and works for deer hunting. Putting one next to an original, or correctly built copy, will make it really stand out.

Bill

That's true of a lot of reproductions--especially the coil spring type that Stumpkiller mentioned. I trust you'all are reenacting with bone fide originals.

Bluebuck, Use that rifle however you want and welcome to tradtional shooting. When you get more minded about historically correct gear, you will more than likely be wanting to get a rifle that is more representative of the period of time that you want to portray. By then you'll be able to see the differences. For now, be welcome to the herd enjoy the shooting.

Thanks guys. This gun has a fancy patch box.Not like on KY's. You've pretty much confirmed what I thought about the gun.1820's and up.It works for me and is better then the Traditions I used to carry.I've been doing primitive muzzleloading for 35 years off and on. I don't do reenactment although I've tryed it out.I do still have all the clothing and accouterments. :hatsoff:

Very well said. The most important aspect of our sport (hobby, affliction, addiction) is getting involved, Then the H/C stuff can come into play. Just one opinion - worth exactly what you paid.! :v

Hey Bluebuck, get it signed on top of the barrel, Mortimer Snerd, then tell everyone it's one of his first guns. :rotf: (Google Mortimer Snerd for a laugh)

I would cast a vote for 1810 and later and also being a generic type and could be used most anywhere as the lines do not lock it into any school, there are lilkey more of this "style" around today than the more corect representations, only in the last few years has the imternet information super highway opened the eyes of folks and made available info on what the originals were really like and it will take the over seas vendors time to correct, (if they do) some local builders allready are trying for a more authentic product but tooling costs are high so this will not happen quickly and more pressure from the buyers may be needed, in the meantime most use what they can get and keep a HC/PC type gun in mind for a future purchase which has the advantage of really knowing more about the hobby and being sure what period/persona one chooses before dropping over a grand or two into a gun.The main thing is to know what is what so one does not get into a situation where thye atre making claims that will not hold up about a particular gun,avoiding this type of situation helps keep ones spirits up I believe, and most serious re-enactors who are a few wrungs further up the ladder understand and respect this prosess as most were there once themselves at local 'vous with Wellington boots and a TC hawkins, topped off with a coat of long fringed Tandy yellow leather,I know I was, most all been there and not forgetten those days and the choices that were faced,and that stage of the game can be as much fun as it is 30 years later if/when one is decked out in full jury qualified outfits, good luck and enjoy the journey.

Back