• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What PC caliber for small game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What PC caliber was used for small game? I have heard that 40cal was used. I am thinking of getting a small caliber in flint lock and would appreciate your input.

During the early/mid 1700s the bores were quite large. In the late 1700s and early 1800s during the Flintlock era smaller bore sizes were popular.
I've read that this was partially due to the reduction in Indian warfare and that the larger game animals were pretty much shot out at least on the Eastern areas.

For small game, I think a .36 or .40 would be more than enough. You really need to read all of the Kansas laws concerning what is legal in your state.
Some places have really strange laws that limit the acceptable calibers. I seem to remember something about it being illegal to hunt small game with a .40 somewhere? It didn't make sense to me at the time so I'm not sure about that.

Anyway as you know, sense each shot is individually loaded you can custom load down for whatever your hunting. This makes a larger bore like a .40 or .45 useful for small game.

Zonie said:
Some places have really strange laws that limit the acceptable calibers. I seem to remember something about it being illegal to hunt small game with a .40 somewhere?
Yep...NJ. Muzzleloader squirrel season, rifle must be no larger than .36 cal.

I'm willing to bet that in whichever period that interests you, most folks were "one gun men" using the same gun for everything. But the laws of our modern period might easily turn you into a two gun man- one each for small and large game.

There aren't caliber restrictions up here, so we use all our guns for small game simply by reducing the powder charge. I'd surely get busted for using my 50, 54 or 58 in New Jersey it looks like, yet head shooting small game with reduced loads accounts for 9 out of 10 of my field days with any of those. It's awesome just how accurate a big bore can be inside 50 yards with 30-35 grains of powder, and that sure is good for your confidence when shooting gigantic deer. My 32 and 36 are delightful as purely small game guns, but I bet my bigger bores account for a lot more of it.

I totally agree with the one gun concept. A reduced load in a 45 or 50 works beautifully on small game, but here in PA the "experts" on the game commission have decided on a 40 caliber maximum for hunting same. This has forced me to acquire a 32 Pedersoli flintlock that I previously had absolutely no reason to possess. Oh, the sacrifices I am forced to endure to stay active in this sport!

As Zonie and BrownBear suggest, it would depend on the period, and social status of a gun owner.

I have not read of anyone hunting small game in the 18th or early 19th century, other that market hunters shooting waterfowl. That doesn't mean that no one hunted small game, only that there is no record of it in the 18th century, that I have seen.

IMHO, since powder and lead were expensive, most small game was most likely trapped rather than hunted prior to about 1800.

These days we have laws dictating what calibers are legal for certain types of game, so that must dictate what caliber one uses for small game.

I have seen calibers as small 25 in later guns, so take your choice. IMHO anything between 32-45 will work well for a dedicated small game gun, depending on state restrictions.

If you want to be a one gun man for both small and large game, get a 20 gauge smoothbore.

The reason the game laws are written the way they are is so that the Game officers can use the caliber of the gun as evidence of intent to poach game out of season. They don't want people in the woods " hunting squirrels", when they actually are there to hunt and kill deer.

This is what happens when you let law enforcement officers practice Law without a license. The caliber of a gun would be the least useful information for any prosecutor to submit to either a judge or jury to try to convict someone of attempted poaching.

In Illinois, the geniuses changed the law to prohibit the use of rifles for squirrel and rabbit hunting. I can only assume that this was motivated by the same misinformation about admissability and weight of evidence that is the foundation for the restrictions on caliber.

To get back to PC instead of the laws of your state. You will find many, many original guns that are in the 31-43cal. range in the book, "The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania" by Richard F. Rosenberger&Charles Kaufmann. Many other books will also have reference to small bores as well, regardless though of time frame. Build what pleases you and you will not be wrong as far as PC.

paulvallandigham said:
In Illinois, the geniuses changed the law to prohibit the use of rifles for squirrel and rabbit hunting.

The only time rifles are prohibited for squirrel or rabbit hunting in IL is during the firearm deer season. Squirrel season is closed during firearm deer season anyway. I just checked the new hunting digest to make sure. No changes.

There are some state lands that are shotgun-only but not even all of those.

Where did you hear that nonsense?

Actually from another Hunter Safety Instructor. I have not seen the most recent Hunting Regulations manual, but this friend had taught a course this Spring and was complaining about it. It used to be the case that certain state lands were " shotgun " only for squirrel. According to him, the dept. has now prohibited use of rifles for hunting squirrels and rabbits all over the state. I have not seen the regs. so am working on hearsay. However, he is a retired FBI agent, a lawyer, although he does not practice, and a passionate hunter of squirrels using a .22 magnum rifle he loves. I hope you are right, and he is wrong. It would be fun to kid him about it.

Well Paul, the new 2008-09 Hunting Digest is now available on the IL-DNR website so you can go and look for yourself. I also, just last week, registered for small game hunting at Sand Ridge and their fact sheet specifically states that shotguns, .22 rimfire, and muzzleloading rifles are allowed.

Back on the topic, I'm no PC expert, but I really like my .36 squirrel gun. This will be her first season in the woods and I have no doubt it will do the job. :grin: Our squirrel season opened today so I'll find out real soon.
One nice thing about a .36 is that Hornady OOO Buckshot measures .350 and is available in 5lb boxes for a lot cheaper than boxes of 100 round balls. :thumbsup: The .36 should be good for anything up to coyote size game.

Like what was said earlier, the small bores were as varied as the individuals that carried them.

I am gathering parts for a .40 as out here in the West shots can get longer and the coyote is a target of oppurtunity, I like the heavier ball for the less wind drift as well, especially when some yoyo sets a distant squirrel trail.

As was also stated you wont go wrong with any of those calibers avaliable, I would be more interested in functionability.

Take this from a serious small game hunter:

If you're not worried about authenticity to the gnat's eyelash when hunting, consider a loading block for the small calibers especially. You generally get a lot more shooting than on big game hunts, plus those small balls and patches get mighty slick with lubed fingers on a cold day. Gloves make it worse. You'll end up spraying balls in the tall grass or snow and patches on the bushes all around you loading by hand. But with a loading block you can load quickly and easily with no fumbling.

Lots of examples here on the site. There's a chart of drill bit sizes for each caliber in the member resources section if you'd rather build a loading block than buy one.

You'll thank me for that bit of advice!!!!

Back