• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Casting Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin1230

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a small jag of scrap hard cast bullets from reloading over the years and would like to use it up. I'm considering getting into casting for my percussion revolvers and am wondering if this scrap can be blended with pure lead to make a suitable round ball for .44 and .36 caliber?
Thanks in advance.

I have a small jag of scrap hard cast bullets from reloading over the years and would like to use it up. I'm considering getting into casting for my percussion revolvers and am wondering if this scrap can be blended with pure lead to make a suitable round ball for .44 and .36 caliber?
Thanks in advance.
Hard lead will not be your friend when casting roundballs for percussion revolvers. You will strain both yourself and your gun while forcing harder roundballs into the cylinder chambers. Now if you will only be loading cylinders off the gun in some kind of arbor press, not that big of deal, but still best to stay with soft lead. I wouldn’t mix it with softer/pure lead, you’ll never really know what you have. Maybe use the harder lead for patched roundballs in a long gun, or trade it for soft lead.

Hard lead will not be your friend when casting roundballs for percussion revolvers. You will strain both yourself and your gun while forcing harder roundballs into the cylinder chambers. Now if you will only be loading cylinders off the gun in some kind of arbor press, not that big of deal, but still best to stay with soft lead. I wouldn’t mix it with softer/pure lead, you’ll never really know what you have. Maybe use the harder lead for patched roundballs in a long gun, or trade it for soft lead.
@SDSmlf , Thank you sir. I appreciate your advice.

Soft lead sometimes will fail to completely fill in the mold. I prefer 20-1. In my 10# Lee melter that means 1# of 50-50 bar solder and fille the pot with lead. That little bit of tin makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back