• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*** For them that have them, does anyone actually use their patch box? ***

I use patchbox,I keep jag,patchpuller,ballpuller and enough cleaning patches in patchbox to keep stuff from rattling.

If it's a large patchbox,I also keep 2 or 3 balls and shooting patches in patchbox when hunting that let's me reload quicker since I don't have to get anything out of bag.

Powder prices!!!! :eek: Prepare to be horrified. I'm going to talk in American dollars and measurements today, to meet the needs of the main audience :p. I rang the local gun shop up here in Townsville, Queensland, last week; they confirmed they had Wano Black Powder in stock for $154.37 US for 2.25lbs!!!!! So, I got to thinking, I had to drive down to visit dear old Mum in Brisbane, some 830 miles away. And just a few miles around the corner is the Wano importer. They agreed to sell me the very same product at $88.02 US for 2.25lbs. So, I did a ring around to the mates and delivered 22.5lbs for a total saving of $663.50 US!!!!!

Cheers, Pete
That’s a lot of cabbage!!

I spent part of this afternoon hanging up trophies... being my first year with the Tennessee Longhunters I unexpectedly gathered some hardware for my shooting this past year, and received four trophies last night. I hadn't previously known they awarded trophies at the Annual Meeting for the bi-monthly shoots and was sorta shocked when I ended up with a table full. Three 1st Places and 2nd Place in the aggregate.

I never thought of myself as an especially good shooter, but the Kibler SMR has apparently made me into one! Aw, shucks... Yea Me!

View attachment 289141

Powder prices!!!! :eek: Prepare to be horrified. I'm going to talk in American dollars and measurements today, to meet the needs of the main audience :p. I rang the local gun shop up here in Townsville, Queensland, last week; they confirmed they had Wano Black Powder in stock for $154.37 US for 2.25lbs!!!!! So, I got to thinking, I had to drive down to visit dear old Mum in Brisbane, some 830 miles away. And just a few miles around the corner is the Wano importer. They agreed to sell me the very same product at $88.02 US for 2.25lbs. So, I did a ring around to the mates and delivered 22.5lbs for a total saving of $663.50 US!!!!!

Cheers, Pete
u did good. glad for you friend

Picked up 40 lb of cast ingots at the metal recycling center for a dollar a pound.

got two 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights didn't pay too much for thim and thankful I didn't because there's a lot of steel wheel weightse in there that I don't believe I can use for anything, never have found a use for the steel wheel weights, and there's some wheel whighrs made of atype of a material that's not lead.

Picked up some spoons today for 25 cents each and am trying to figure out which one to carry in my ammo sack for a portable lead pot, they will all need to be altered and customized a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_203515.jpg
    IMG_20240131_203515.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Spent a few pleasant days working on an 1851 steel framed fantasy .44 made by ASM in 1998 that I recently acquired from a member here. It was a kit gun, in need of internal polishing however the fit, timing and lock up are fantastic. It needed milling marks dealt with, fixing a boogered front sight, and polishing and de-fanging the hammer face. Old cold bluing had gone to pot. Stripped, polished and re-blued with Van’s Cold Bluing. Turned out great!

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0

Cheers, Pete

Good work there!
Picked up some spoons today for 25 cents each and am trying to figure out which one to carry in my ammo sack for a portable lead pot, they will all need to be altered and customized a little bit.
I like the middle one if it fits your kit. Do you actually engage in making ball over the fire? Is it for the sake of reenactment or what?

I have melted lead on hot coals to cast balls sometimes when I didn't have an electric pot, and sometimes no electricity.
The steel lead ladel I have has a handle on it about a footlong and I think it holds four or five pounds of lead, it's actually very nice to use to melt lead with but it's a bit too big to comfortably carry in my ammo pouch so I'm just wanting something smaller to carry, I want to have a complete on person kit just like the fellas who walked for months on end without a trading post or store nearby.
these are what I'd like to get but I'm going to just make do for now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201-104650~2.png
    Screenshot_20240201-104650~2.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240201-104722~2.png
    Screenshot_20240201-104722~2.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
these are what I'd like to get but I'm going to just make do for now
That's what I use but I'm totally civilized about it. All done in the garage.

I admire your preparedness.

When I first started casting I used a stainless gravy ladle.

Finished up Horn #53. I think it came out pretty nice. Although flat, these usually have some twist to them. This one will wear on the right.
I am on the fence about letting it go...

Attachments

• 53 aa.jpg
    53 aa.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 53 bb.jpg
    53 bb.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 53 cc.jpg
    53 cc.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 53 dd.jpg
    53 dd.jpg