• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weathered the storm last night. The shrieking wind was the worst part. Family and house are all well. A bit of green debris tidying up to do; man, I hope the range is open this weekend 😀.

Cheers, Pete
cyclone event.jpg

Punched out some more caps and hope to get down and fill them with priming compound this evening. Received a shipment of 5 horns from Powderhorns and More and need to start working on them - Gerry sent a very nice selection!

Never enough time in the day!

The inlay process is simple in itself. It the layout and getting the lines to "flow". There are "rules" to scroll work that make them more pleasing to the eye.
For instance, I think the "curls" on the vine should be a bit more circular in the curl, more compact, but I came to this conclusion after it was done.

This is a rifle by Herman Rupp, these look better shaped to me than mine.

The tools are so basic it's silly, you can make all from 1 hack saw blade, or xacto blades.
well you are an artist to me. that picture is absolutely unbelievable. wow. thumbs up to you sir

Spent the am rubbing back the final finish coat on the Colonial, then added a couple coats of wax. Stood back and looked at it and just didn't like it. The color was wrong, the finish looked like cr*p, the wax didn't do anything but highlight the issues.
So, several hours of stripping, sanding, and generally starting over, I think I have it ready for finish. This time the color is what I was hoping for in the beginning. God bless LMF! Their dyes make things so nice. Honey maple, cherry, some thinner, then a bit of trans tint honey amber. If the new color looks as good in the daylight as it did in the shop, it will be time to put the finish on. This time I think I will stick with the Permalyn sealer, or I'll give the Tried and True Varnish Oil another attempt.
If anyone has a trick to working with the TnT Varnish Oil, I'm all ears.
that is some pretty wood

Neighbor's funeral. Wonderful woman. Never married but deeply involved with her nieces and nephews. Service was long because many people had anecdotes about her. But that was good. Six of her nieces carried her out of the sanctuary, across the parking lot, and up the hill to her resting place in the church cemetery.
may SHE REST IN PEACE

I fell in love with my .36 double ml, and been pondering ever since . Holts auction. Think it’s around 1886 , I lost the .36 string just now on deer hunting, so commenting here. My pal just bought a 32-40 BP deer rifle and that’s around 740 ft lbs. Yet the .36 BP is around 960 ft lbs so more than good enough for deer. I like the 180gr Sierra pistol bullet but have a box of bullets I have made dies for . The rifles sights go to 400 yards and I made 209 primer nipples for light nitro charges, Alas at 80 the police took away my guns and permits. So I cannot shoot in uk. So stuck with pcp and bow and arrow in UK . But it’s ok for France , another long story. But I have shot a lot even in Nigeria so happy with my lot. So how does my double compare with a flintlock. , on this forum is it on the verge of an unmentionable. Mine is far from a squirrel rifle . So I love all your comments on the .36. It’s time I stopped collecting guns. But I shoot squirrels with my 177&22 deadlier than a shotgun and no licences needed if under a miserable 12 ft lbs. But the 22 knocked heads off rabbits and squirrels at 50 yards. One must be thankful for what we have Nice to chat
dang thats a bunch of guns

Started fitting a brass plate to my Woodsrunner patchbox lid. Getting close - file notch in the bottom a little deeper and put a little more bend into the top half, then start with drilling screw holes to attach it. This would have been so much easier if the rear of the lid was flat!

View attachment 288590View attachment 288591
Yeah, I just did mine also and I have to agree with you that it would have been easier if it was flat!

Had some misfires today. Determined it was a result of oil in the very bottom of the barrel where the firin nipple is at. Wasted a half dozen caps before I decided to do some figurin.
an now I've added a little wrench that I use to take the nipple out and put a little bit of gunpowder in there on the first round, it helps get things burning, then I was able to do 20 rounds down range without any misfire.
I've added a cord on the end of it that I'll use to clean oil out of the gun after I've cleaned and oiled it, use the ramrod to push a cleaning rag all the way down to the bottom to absorb the oil and clean the oil out after I've cleaned and oiled the gun, then use the cord to pull the kleenex or paper towel or oil rag out.
But after I've cleaned ol smokey and he's hung on the rack for a few days or a few weeks, the first round I load I'm going to take the nipple out and put a tad of powder in there to help get the first round burning.

I'm also going to add a bullet mold to my ammo pack along with a lead bar and I'm looking for a iron pot with handle small enough to carry comfortably but big enough to be able to melt lead with.
I know the lead bar, bullet mold and melting pot are all unnecessary but I'm going to add them and start carrying them with me anyhow , I'm also going to carry some spare nipples.

I think I'm going to alter the patch box on my rifle to carry a little leather pouch with a few rounds of powder ball & cap , nipples and a few tools right in the butt stock of the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_114706.jpg
    IMG_20240126_114706.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240126_114733.jpg
    IMG_20240126_114733.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240126_114759.jpg
    IMG_20240126_114759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Had some misfires today. Determined it was a result of oil in the very bottom of the barrel where the firin nipple is at. Wasted a half dozen caps before I decided to do some figurin.
an now I've added a little wrench that I use to take the nipple out and put a little bit of gunpowder in there on the first round, it helps get things burning, then I was able to do 20 rounds down range without any misfire.
I've added a cord on the end of it that I'll use to clean oil out of the gun after I've cleaned and oiled it, use the ramrod to push a cleaning rag all the way down to the bottom to absorb the oil and clean the oil out after I've cleaned and oiled the gun, then use the cord to pull the kleenex or paper towel or oil rag out.
But after I've cleaned ol smokey and he's hung on the rack for a few days or a few weeks, the first round I load I'm going to take the nipple out and put a tad of powder in there to help get the first round burning.

I'm also going to add a bullet mold to my ammo pack along with a lead bar and I'm looking for a iron pot with handle small enough to carry comfortably but big enough to be able to melt lead with.
I know the lead bar, bullet mold and melting pot are all unnecessary but I'm going to add them and start carrying them with me anyhow , I'm also going to carry some spare nipples.

I think I'm going to alter the patch box on my rifle to carry a little leather pouch with a few rounds of powder ball & cap , nipples and a few tools right in the butt stock of the rifle.
It also helps to store your gun muzzle down.

Latest posts

Back