• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't wanting your mold my friend I was wondering if you might be interested in doing some casting? I have a .45 rifle and 2 pistols to feed and at times they get pretty hungry lol!
I have all kinds of molds for cenerfire stuff. It's nearly all I shoot is hand cast bullets but I haven't started molding round balls yet

Spent the am rubbing back the final finish coat on the Colonial, then added a couple coats of wax. Stood back and looked at it and just didn't like it. The color was wrong, the finish looked like cr*p, the wax didn't do anything but highlight the issues.
So, several hours of stripping, sanding, and generally starting over, I think I have it ready for finish. This time the color is what I was hoping for in the beginning. God bless LMF! Their dyes make things so nice. Honey maple, cherry, some thinner, then a bit of trans tint honey amber. If the new color looks as good in the daylight as it did in the shop, it will be time to put the finish on. This time I think I will stick with the Permalyn sealer, or I'll give the Tried and True Varnish Oil another attempt.
If anyone has a trick to working with the TnT Varnish Oil, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240124_173653 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_20240124_173653 (1).jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20240124_173813.jpg
    thumbnail_20240124_173813.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 0
Spent the am rubbing back the final finish coat on the Colonial, then added a couple coats of wax. Stood back and looked at it and just didn't like it. The color was wrong, the finish looked like cr*p, the wax didn't do anything but highlight the issues.
So, several hours of stripping, sanding, and generally starting over, I think I have it ready for finish. This time the color is what I was hoping for in the beginning. God bless LMF! Their dyes make things so nice. Honey maple, cherry, some thinner, then a bit of trans tint honey amber. If the new color looks as good in the daylight as it did in the shop, it will be time to put the finish on. This time I think I will stick with the Permalyn sealer, or I'll give the Tried and True Varnish Oil another attempt.
That is gorgeous

I wasn't wanting your mold my friend I was wondering if you might be interested in doing some casting? I have a .45 rifle and 2 pistols to feed and at times they get pretty hungry lol!
lol

No I wouldn’t be interested in casting balls for sale..Thanks for asking.
But I’m sure someone here would.
Post a Wanted Ad in the Classified and hopefully someone will respond..

I can barely keep enough cast too supply my own habit at this time…🥴

Have a couple of flint rifles which are just too pretty to keep in a safe. They hang high on the wall in the dining room and the parlor. Took them down today to dust, examine, and fondle. They have been fine where they were. But DAMN they need shooting and that will happen out the back door tomorrow!

It looks pretty doggone good in pictures, too! Love it.

(I’m a fan of Permalyn… so easy and effective.)

Last edited:
The color looks awesome, well done.

shooting season starts Saturday here in Minnesota so i finished up some of my bench clamps. It never fails to amaze me as to how many shooters and buckskiners give no thought to leaning their gun up against what ever while there chewing the fat between relays , or laying it across the bench taking up room for I leaned mine against the side of a bench that had been made for shooting things other then muzzle loaders, when I got back from posting the next target my rifle was laying in the slush. Thankfully it didn't mess with the sights or hurt the stock but it did put a rub mark in the bluing as it slid over. So I came up with a "V" clamp before the next shoot but wasn't satisfied with it. It was to heavy and took up to much space, it also wasn't adaptable to some of the benches I ran into. It took several improvements but this is the one that I've been making now for those that ask. I've made somewhere over 40-50 of them now
IMG_3861.jpg
IMG_3864.jpg
IMG_3862.jpg
IMG_3863.jpg

Took my CVA .36 squirrel rifle to the range for the first time. This gun is a lot of fun to shoot. .350 PRB with 30gr of Swiss 3FG. View attachment 288130View attachment 288131
I fell in love with my .36 double ml, and been pondering ever since . Holts auction. Think it’s around 1886 , I lost the .36 string just now on deer hunting, so commenting here. My pal just bought a 32-40 BP deer rifle and that’s around 740 ft lbs. Yet the .36 BP is around 960 ft lbs so more than good enough for deer. I like the 180gr Sierra pistol bullet but have a box of bullets I have made dies for . The rifles sights go to 400 yards and I made 209 primer nipples for light nitro charges, Alas at 80 the police took away my guns and permits. So I cannot shoot in uk. So stuck with pcp and bow and arrow in UK . But it’s ok for France , another long story. But I have shot a lot even in Nigeria so happy with my lot. So how does my double compare with a flintlock. , on this forum is it on the verge of an unmentionable. Mine is far from a squirrel rifle . So I love all your comments on the .36. It’s time I stopped collecting guns. But I shoot squirrels with my 177&22 deadlier than a shotgun and no licences needed if under a miserable 12 ft lbs. But the 22 knocked heads off rabbits and squirrels at 50 yards. One must be thankful for what we have Nice to chat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A9E92A93-53AB-42E8-97D7-CC2CFF7EB0DD.jpeg
    A9E92A93-53AB-42E8-97D7-CC2CFF7EB0DD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • C862964B-F9FB-4D96-873B-260752947490.jpeg
    C862964B-F9FB-4D96-873B-260752947490.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 32E97A96-14F2-4B8B-818D-11779E9369DD.jpeg
    32E97A96-14F2-4B8B-818D-11779E9369DD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful! I know many like Permalyn but I’m not a fan. I prefer Track’s Original Oil Finish. Just my thought though…

I've been down with some type of respiratory crud the past week. All I've been thinking about is getting to the range. It looks like there might be a break in the weather for a few hours tomorrow. I guess they call what we're experiencing an atmospheric river. Anyway, in hopes that I'll be well enough tomorrow I spent a few hours going through cap & ball revolvers today doing general maintenance stuff, checking for rust and wiping them down with Barricade. They've been stored for a spell but every thing looked good. I was inspired by a post in the Handgun Forum. I also dug out my box of cap & ball shooting paraphernalia and supplies. I took inventory and generally cleaned up the contents. I have enough stuff to shoot with but should order a few resupply items soon. Bottom line, if I can swing it, weather and health wise, I'm shooting an 1858 Remington reproduction tomorrow.

Back