• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know all you cva haters are gonna cringe. I figured a way to make the stock joint stronger and better looking. The Japanese use this on some black powder guns. Just cleaning up piles of odds and ends.makes for a rock solid two piece stock. The dimples add look and hold it in place better the steel tube is about 4" and is inlet into the ramrod tube. More on this scrap parts build next week.

Attachments

• 20231219_214915.jpg
    20231219_214915.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231219_214630.jpg
    20231219_214630.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231219_214621.jpg
    20231219_214621.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231219_214613.jpg
    20231219_214613.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I know all you cva haters are gonna cringe. I figured a way to make the stock joint stronger and better looking. The Japanese use this on some black powder guns. Just cleaning up piles of odds and ends.makes for a rock solid two piece stock. The dimples add look and hold it in place better the steel tube is about 4" and is inlet into the ramrod tube. More on this scrap parts build next week.
one thing for sure.it looks like you know what you are doing.thanks for sharing friend

Ianh, is that cherry? going to be stunning done whatever the wood!

Yes, very soft, brittle, chippy, open-grained cherry from a well-nourished and fast grown tree. The grain contrast is striking and I really, really wanted to stain it with lye. Jim gave me a couple of scraps that appear from the same tree or board since this was a blem stock with breakouts and I got great colors on them from the lye and vinegar treatment. However....this cherry is so porous that it kept turning the finish into linseed soap because no matter how I tried I couldn't get all the lye neutralized. I tried lighter and weaker applications and more vinegar, even switched to very dilute hydrochloric acid and all that did was reverse the stain color. I finally gave up and decided just to finish it with drying oil and let it do its thing.

20231219_154338.jpg

Yes, very soft, brittle, chippy, open-grained cherry from a well-nourished and fast grown tree. The grain contrast is striking and I really, really wanted to stain it with lye. Jim gave me a couple of scraps that appear from the same tree or board since this was a blem stock with breakouts and I got great colors on them from the lye and vinegar treatment. However....this cherry is so porous that it kept turning the finish into linseed soap because no matter how I tried I couldn't get all the lye neutralized. I tried lighter and weaker applications and more vinegar, even switched to very dilute hydrochloric acid and all that did was reverse the stain color. I finally gave up and decided just to finish it with drying oil and let it do its thing.

View attachment 277972
Gonna need a red blinking lite on the tip of that. Ya just let the oil do its thing cherry is so amazing. I always wanted to do a time lapse on how it warms up.

Gonna need a red blinking lite on the tip of that. Ya just let the oil do its thing cherry is so amazing. I always wanted to do a time lapse on how it warms up.

That's funny... that photo was taken next to a hangar door facing the runway at an airport, and I may have violated some airport obstruction rules as long as it is.

Here's what my native, dense, hard cherry looks like with a light lye wipe and vinegar temper:

20230826_155540.jpg

That's funny... that photo was taken next to a hangar door facing the runway at an airport, and I may have violated some airport obstruction rules as long as it is.

Here's what my native, dense, hard cherry looks like with a light lye wipe and vinegar temper:

View attachment 277975
Oh my!! That's beautiful. That color is what that style calls for.

View attachment 277972
looks good

View attachment 277975
Nice! my cherry stock has crotch wood at the butt and softer forward. that butt wood is rock hard.
looks to be a Rice barrel there Ianh.

looks good
It's hard to screw up a Kibler Woodsrunner. I'm sure it has been and will be done, but so far I don't think I have.
Nice! my cherry stock has crotch wood at the butt and softer forward. that butt wood is rock hard.
looks to be a Rice barrel there Ianh.

I made a solid wood jewelry box for my wife years ago from some feathercrotch cherry. It's heart shaped and I centered it in the crotch grain to catch the pattern. Cut a profile, sectioned it, milled out the cavities with integral partitions, and the underside of the lid. It warped a little but that grain and color is like no other.

Not a rice barrel. It's a an unchambered, unfinished 24-gauge cartridge Belgian double gun blank that I finished out on my lathe and milled the octagon, breeched, and reamed. RobM uses a lot of them for his smaller trade guns.

20230713_132632.jpg

20230713_132626.jpg
20230712_223105.jpg

It's hard to screw up a Kibler Woodsrunner. I'm sure it has been and will be done, but so far I don't think I have.

I made a solid wood jewelry box for my wife years ago from some feathercrotch cherry. It's heart shaped and I centered it in the crotch grain to catch the pattern. Cut a profile, sectioned it, milled out the cavities with integral partitions, and the underside of the lid. It warped a little but that grain and color is like no other.

Not a rice barrel. It's a an unchambered, unfinished 24-gauge cartridge Belgian double gun blank that I finished out on my lathe and milled the octagon, breeched, and reamed. RobM uses a lot of them for his smaller trade guns.

View attachment 278000

View attachment 278001View attachment 278002
i can see the difference now. nice looking barrel!

First coat of stain on the Colonial. Tomorrow I adjust color and maybe try AF over the stain with a heavy rub back. Trying to get the curl to stand out but maintain a honey/amber background.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20231220_161431.jpg
    thumbnail_20231220_161431.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20231220_161514.jpg
    thumbnail_20231220_161514.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20231220_161518.jpg
    thumbnail_20231220_161518.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 0
Back