• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two coats of AF and some time with the heat gun. Tomorrow starts the rub back and color adjusting.
Suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20231221_154622.jpg
    thumbnail_20231221_154622.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20231221_155046.jpg
    thumbnail_20231221_155046.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 0
First coat of stain on the Colonial. Tomorrow I adjust color and maybe try AF over the stain with a heavy rub back. Trying to get the curl to stand out but maintain a honey/amber background.
I might’ve missed where you said what you were going to start with on the stain…. What did you start with in these photos?

I’m not nearly as well versed in muzzle loading as many of you are but how do you tell a Rice barrel from GM or any other maker just from a picture?
I’m a bit curious, too. I know my barrel is stamped as a Rice, but after it’s pinned into the stock, you can’t see that anymore. Maybe ever? What external clues reveal the maker between Rice, GM, and possibly others?

Shot the Harper's Ferry today. Still trying to figure out how to aim this thing. But great fun confounding downwind bench shooters with great clouds of black powder smoke. Unfortunately, confounds me, too, as I have no spotter and can't see where I'm hitting because of the same smoke. Oh, well, all part of the fun, I suppose.
What’s a Harper’s Ferry? Is it a Pistol? Rifle? Armory?

Maybe a photo? Action shot?

I might’ve missed where you said what you were going to start with on the stain…. What did you start with in these photos?
The base coat was Honey/Amber Trans Tint. I wanted the curl to show more so I put on the two coats of AF today. I was hoping to have a little more of the base coat show through, but it may do that after I rub it back a bit. I was considering using a diluted Honey Maple stain prior to the final finish being applied.

The base coat was Honey/Amber Trans Tint. I wanted the curl to show more so I put on the two coats of AF today. I was hoping to have a little more of the base coat show through, but it may do that after I rub it back a bit. I was considering using a diluted Honey Maple stain prior to the final finish being applied.
Have you thought about putting some of the tint in the finish? I put some in the permalyn I used on mine and it came out nice. Yours promises to be even purdier…

Tough topic. It sort of assumes each of us will do something to do with muzzle loading every day. I'd love to, but it is not happening. At 75 I could easily (urinate) away a day travelling to the city and having tests and med appointments.
So let me ask does fondling, wiping, waxing, oiling muzzleloaders count? Or must it involve firing?

Tough topic. It sort of assumes each of us will do something to do with muzzle loading every day. I'd love to, but it is not happening. At 75 I could easily (urinate) away a day travelling to the city and having tests and med appointments.
So let me ask does fondling, wiping, waxing, oiling muzzleloaders count? Or must it involve firing?
I think checking in on the muzzleloading forum qualifies as doing some thing muzzleloading :)

What’s a Harper’s Ferry?
The "Harper's Ferry" is a flintlock pistol, notable for two reasons: 1) the first service sidearm produced by a U.S. armory (the Harper's Ferry armory, natch) as the "Model 1805", and 2) the pistol with which Andrew Jackson killed a man in a duel (before becoming President).

My Pedersoli repro, built from a kit:
Pedersoli Harper's Ferry.JPG

The repro has a front sight, but no rear sight; as I undersand, the original had no sights at all. I think they were added with later variants. The original was .54 cal smoothbore, whereas the Pedersoli repro is .58 cal rifled.

As best as I'm able to aim it, it shoots about six inches high at seven yards. My frustrations today were with trying to hit a twelve inch steel at 25 yards. But I couldn't figure out a hold since I couldn't see where it was hitting.

Last edited:
I’m not nearly as well versed in muzzle loading as many of you are but how do you tell a Rice barrel from GM or any other maker just from a picture?
I just got my computer restored. missed this question.
the barrel Ianh displayed had characteristics similar to a Rice Dolep barrel i used on a fowler. the short octagonal ending with the wedding band then round.
other than that i usually need close up pictures, blown up 200% of the makers name spelled out in English in order tell who made it!

The "Harper's Ferry" is a flintlock pistol, notable for two reasons: 1) the first service sidearm produced by a U.S. armory (the Harper's Ferry armory, natch) as the "Model 1805", and 2) the pistol with which Andrew Jackson killed a man in a duel (before becoming President).

My Pedersoli repro, built from a kit:
View attachment 278209

The repro has a front sight, but no rear sight; as I undersand, the original had no sights at all. I think they were added with later variants. The original was .54 cal smoothbore, whereas the Pedersoli repro is .58 cal rifled.

As best as I'm able to aim it, it shoots about six inches high at seven yards. My frustrations today were with trying to hit a twelve inch steel at 25 yards. But I couldn't figure out a hold since I couldn't see where it was hitting.
The range you shoot at…. Is it a managed range or DIY?

When I used to volunteer as a range safety officer at a TN Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) managed range, I loved it when one of the shooters asked for help with anything. It got a little boring if you didn’t interact with the folks.

If there are RSOs, grab one and ask him/her to spot for you whilst you shoot. Or even a nearby shooter. Ask for help! People can surprise you.

The range you shoot at…. Is it a managed range or DIY?

The range I shot at today is staffed by a RSO, who was busy with another shooter at the time. Yes, you're correct and I agree with your observations. Half the fun is interacting with other shooters. I was also shooting an "unmentionable" before the Harper's Ferry, and had a bit of a 100 yd gong duel going for a few hits. He had a red dot and I had irons, so it was pretty even. A couple of aged little boys teasing each other by making the thing swing before the other guy gets off his next shot. Hah!! 😄

Back