• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinkered with some more antler and some items from a whatnots box stuff today.
IMG_20231014_195325851_HDR.jpg

495 Minie? .54 cal?

Pete
Received a "custom" handmade "CROSS of LORRAINNE" .54cal ball bag made to order from such a talented member of this forum! Couldn't be more pleased with it!!! Just how I envisioned it! All I did was to add a wood "cinch bead" and the suede neck lanyard...Beautiful work and a big thanks to DiMarco in Texas! 🤝👌

Attachments

• 20231015_014812.jpg
    20231015_014812.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Received a "custom" handmade "CROSS of LORRAINNE" .54cal ball bag made to order from such a talented member of this forum! Couldn't be more pleased with it!!! Just how I envisioned it! All I did was to add a wood "cinch bead" and the suede neck lanyard...Beautiful work and a big thanks to DiMarco in Texas! 🤝👌
Beautiful job! It has never ocurred to me to make a ball bag before, and have (up to now) clumsily used a small tin to contain my balls. I have, since seeing your new bag, ordered a sheet of leather, some linen thread and a 'Sewing Awl' from Ebay.

Over the past few days I did a bit of shooting with my 40 Cal SMR... I had replaced the front sight with a silver one from TOTW and didn't do enough verification shooting for point of aim adjustments prior to the last club shoot, so I did a miserable job at that shoot. Downright discouraging!

Over the course of a couple days, I shot enough to know just where it was hitting and made adjustments. I'm liking it now... just need to settle down a little more and control my breathing and trigger pull a little smoother and it should tighten up some more.

40 Cal SMR 25 yd Target 14Oct23.jpg

495 Minie? .54 cal?

Pete
No sir. 50cal and a .503" 495gr bullet.

My intention is a elk hunting / long range rifle.

I build centerfire rifles as a hobby at my home shop and it's getting pretty boring to spin up a turret and slap targets at long range.....so I set a knight up with some sights I made and a Gehmann iris and it brought me to muzzleloaders.
I stumbled upon Idaho lewis shooting traditional muzzleloaders and decided the next step for me would be to step back to a side lock and see what I can do.

I found this site when a buddy showed me a tc renegade for sale, so I signed up and tried to buy it. The seller wouldn't sell to me under any circumstances and I was bummed as there's not many options to find a used decent rifle around me.

As luck would have it my wife needed a ride to the doctor and next door was a pawn shop and I needed to kill an hour. Inside was this hawken rifle.

I had felt on the way and 400 of these bullets along with 5 pounds of 2f swiss....so here I am today.

Bought a original approximately 1835 sxs percussion in 14 bore by William Greener the father of W.W.Greener managed to obtain a 0ak gun case of the same period yesterday although in a dirty condition have had a full day today removing the grime etc .Should be finished in a few days old moth eaten velvet removed and renewed will enter in a forum when finished.
Feltwad

I'm doing something entirely in my mind, following an item at auction; maybe can get it if price stays reasonable. Also, I have 5 un-mentionables that need cleaning; that modern powder doesn't require immediate clean-up! 🙄

A group of us instructors administered the Course of Fire for new instructors to qualify for the Muzzleloading Instructor course. While we didn't do much shooting, the candidates sure did. To qualify for the Muzzleloading Instructor program you have to complete NRA Basic Muzzleloading, Basic Instructor Training and complete a Course of Fire to demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun. A whole lot of diverse shooting in one loooong day.

9323(1).jpg

made a set of walnut jaws for one of my vises. then glued some leather to the walnut. looked at my couple half done stocks, thought about inletting the breech plug on one of them. seemed like a nap was more in order.
eating lunch now and unless 2nd nap interferes, i will burn some powder in my Mortimer. haven't fired it in about a year.

No sir. 50cal and a .503" 495gr bullet.

My intention is a elk hunting / long range rifle.

I build centerfire rifles as a hobby at my home shop and it's getting pretty boring to spin up a turret and slap targets at long range.....so I set a knight up with some sights I made and a Gehmann iris and it brought me to muzzleloaders.
I stumbled upon Idaho lewis shooting traditional muzzleloaders and decided the next step for me would be to step back to a side lock and see what I can do.

I found this site when a buddy showed me a tc renegade for sale, so I signed up and tried to buy it. The seller wouldn't sell to me under any circumstances and I was bummed as there's not many options to find a used decent rifle around me.

As luck would have it my wife needed a ride to the doctor and next door was a pawn shop and I needed to kill an hour. Inside was this hawken rifle.

I had felt on the way and 400 of these bullets along with 5 pounds of 2f swiss....so here I am today.
Cheers, Greg Y. I just did a Google flyover of your town. Looks wonderful. Idaho Lewis can shoot, huh. All the very best with your muzzle loading adventures. I look forward to hearing about your elk hunt.

Pete

Back