• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been physically unable to go to the desert range for a couple of months I think it's been so my shooting buddy and I went there early this morning before the heat set in and did some shooting. Mostly unmentionables but I got out a new to me older Seneca in .45 caliber that I bought from a member here and got four shots done before it was time to leave due to heat. It shot 40 grns of 3F with a .440 RB and a .018 lubed patch. It hit a rabbit sized rock all four times at about 40 yards which was good enough for me.

I am just about done with the finish on my Kennedy rifle. It has close to the same color as the original remnants of the buttstock. The trigger guard, toe plate, butt plate and triggers are original to the rifle. I made alterations to the design to make sure this was not to be taken for the original. The false muzzle is one big clue. It can barely be seen i the grass.

20230803_105606.jpg

While it was dated at a time when percussion was becoming standard, I chose to keep the ignition system as flintlock.

20230806_165358.jpg

A few tasks left to do, but its ready to go to the range

Rummaging through some boxes today and discovered this L&R lock that I ordered at least 23 years ago and forgot to use it! I think it might be an old Durs Egg model. The part number is 1700, but I don’t see this model in the current catalog. Going to call L&R tomorrow and see what they can tell me about it.
View attachment 242851View attachment 242852View attachment 242853View attachment 242854View attachment 242855View attachment 242856

I think it could only be the bottom one if it's an RPL. Think you might be right on the Durs Egg. It's a little small in the nose height. Has a roller frizzen rhat the RPL might not have.

Made a duplicate set of pins and mixed up a 30/70 solution of Jax brown/water. Treated all the brass from both kits, just a light patina. Did some wiping/burnishing to the stock, dang thing is still a little tacky in a few spots, should be dry by tomorrow.
It looks good to me, I have no guns with cherry stocks and was watching your build, I do believe with a bit of use it will mellow out a bit, they all seem to do that whatever the wood, going to be a fine-looking rifle gun. 👍

It looks good to me, I have no guns with cherry stocks and was watching your build, I do believe with a bit of use it will mellow out a bit, they all seem to do that whatever the wood, going to be a fine-looking rifle gun. 👍
Thanks, just kinda shot from the hip on the wood. Hopefully it will mellow out.

just got back from the annual coon & crocket shoot in east grand forks mn. we had a great time. now have to clean all the guns for the cannon valley shoot in morristown minnesota on the 12th ! LIFE IS GOOD !

Manton Flintlock Model #1700
You are correct! I called L&R this morning and they confirmed the lock model. I didn't notice it when I was looking online because they only showed the back view and I went right past it! Now that I went back and looked again it is the Manton and now I remember why I bought it. Back in the late 70's or early 80's I acquired a pistol barrel from GR Douglas and I bought this lock to use in a pistol build. Life got in the way and I put it up and forgot all about it! I have two Kibler kits waiting on me and I have misc parts for a Jaeger and another flintlock rifle that I also want to complete one day, so I think this lock will be posted for sale in another thread.

(Asked L&R about the RPL booklet that was included and was told they probably just stuck it in the box for information purposes)

Back