• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked to give a demonstration to a group of 5th graders at a local 1787 log cabin in a historical section of my hometown. I really enjoy engaging the students in demonstrations of the harsh lifestyle in KY 240+ years ago.

I talked about the tools of the day..., axes, cooking items, and even an ( unloaded ) flintlock rifle. First thing I did was demonstrate how to tell if the rifle is loaded or not:

342891549_189411773510852_806106110103573400_n.jpg

Water was essential during that time...just like today. I let this young girl demonstrate how difficult it was retrieving water and carrying it some distance back to the cabin:

343247738_946214903237131_1026797910349717329_n.jpg

Told the students they were required to know how to load a flintlock rifle...even at their age. If under attack, those skills would be handy and the girls loaded the extra guns while hunkered down in the cabin...possibly for days. This girl was getting heckled by her classmates ( in good clean fun ) as I was handing her the gun under a simulated attack and telling her reloading is required ASAP. She was slow getting the gun that is as tall as she is loaded in this mock event.

( No actual powder or round balls were used in this demonstration. )
I showed the students how they loaded it quickly without REAL supplies.

342961031_3601281043425569_918193055461696586_n.jpg

Below is 1/2 of the group that attended this event. Those kids really enjoyed handling the ( unloaded ) guns as you can see on both sides of this group picture. Two of the teachers took the pictures.

343065072_783544849876004_4566763076337072710_n.jpg

Last edited:
Not precisely muzzle loading but it was BP. I had a chance today to shoot the 1860 Henry at extended range and using the ladder sight. Something I have been wanting to do for some time. No sign of Gus nor Blue Duck but the 300 yard rocks and dirt clods were in great peril. Had a wonderful time.

This was only 50 yards.

View attachment 218043
Gus or Blue Duck! Man, that epic was a good read. And the Series was a beauty too. I think it's time I watched Lonesome Dove again! Thanks Tom A Hawk.

Pete

I was asked to give a demonstration to a group of 5th graders at a local 1787 log cabin in a historical section of my hometown. I really enjoy engaging the students in demonstrations of the harsh lifestyle in KY 240+ years ago.

I talked about the tools of the day..., axes, cooking items, and even an ( unloaded ) flintlock rifle. First thing I did was demonstrate how to tell if the rifle is loaded or not:

View attachment 218068

Water was essential during that time...just like today. I let this young girl demonstrate how difficult it was retrieving water and carrying it some distance back to the cabin:

View attachment 218069

Told the students they were required to know how to load a flintlock rifle...even at their age. If under attack, those skills would be handy and the girls loaded the extra guns while hunkered down in the cabin...possibly for days. This girl was getting heckled by her classmates ( in good clean fun ) as I was handing her the gun under a simulated attack and telling her reloading is required ASAP. She was slow getting the gun that is as tall as she is loaded in this mock event.

View attachment 218073

Below is 1/2 of the group that attended this event. Those kids really enjoyed handling the ( unloaded ) guns as you can see on both sides of this group picture. Two of the teachers took the pictures.

View attachment 218071
What a great thing!!! Those memories will be with everyone for life. Awesome!!

Acquired my first flintlock muzzleloader today; what have I done! It was listed as “unknown flintlock” on GB. I had been planning to get a parts set and go for it, but saw this one. I just put in the most I’d be willing to pay and ended up winning the auction 😲. It was built by someone who looked to have skills, has carving, wire inlays, engraving, and such. I had asked a lot of questions about it, maker, lock brand, etc. but seller said it was an estate sale item and they weren’t authorized to disassemble. I did find out it’s a straight barrel, 31.5”, 56 caliber. Has a sling and looks Jaeger-esque, but not as ornate. The rub is I’ve been searching around using “56 cal RB” and not finding much except smoothbore info. I did find a couple of places that had .550 balls, which I believe are what I need. When I started looking into the muzzleloader sport I read that 45, 50 were most popular and suppliers were dropping some of the other calibers. I couldn’t find any Lee or Lyman molds for .550 balls.
I’ll put up some photos if I can figure out how to capture them from GB, and provide more details once it’s in my hands. Anyway, diving into the sparky world! Got to partner up with a fellow flintlock shooter who can show me the ropes.

Acquired my first flintlock muzzleloader today; what have I done! It was listed as “unknown flintlock” on GB. I had been planning to get a parts set and go for it, but saw this one. I just put in the most I’d be willing to pay and ended up winning the auction 😲. It was built by someone who looked to have skills, has carving, wire inlays, engraving, and such. I had asked a lot of questions about it, maker, lock brand, etc. but seller said it was an estate sale item and they weren’t authorized to disassemble. I did find out it’s a straight barrel, 31.5”, 56 caliber. Has a sling and looks Jaeger-esque, but not as ornate. The rub is I’ve been searching around using “56 cal RB” and not finding much except smoothbore info. I did find a couple of places that had .550 balls, which I believe are what I need. When I started looking into the muzzleloader sport I read that 45, 50 were most popular and suppliers were dropping some of the other calibers. I couldn’t find any Lee or Lyman molds for .550 balls.
I’ll put up some photos if I can figure out how to capture them from GB, and provide more details once it’s in my hands. Anyway, diving into the sparky world! Got to partner up with a fellow flintlock shooter who can show me the ropes.
Congrats!

You can order a .550 mold from Jeff Tanner. His molds are great.

Went antiquing with my Wife today to look for a cheap piece of pewter to melt for knife bolsters. Found one for $5. Also found this thing. I bought it, but I’m giving to my oldest Son, I have no use for it. Ran a more detailed thread in the Antique Forum.

Attachments

• 02BF16FD-1896-441B-B015-16AEFF58D876.jpeg
    02BF16FD-1896-441B-B015-16AEFF58D876.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • C53C3D0D-040F-435A-918F-7A033D01F7DE.jpeg
    C53C3D0D-040F-435A-918F-7A033D01F7DE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0982A117-622F-46D6-8A2A-F3F1E0799340.jpeg
    0982A117-622F-46D6-8A2A-F3F1E0799340.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 85A4EB11-35F8-40B6-83D5-0C74F33B9585.jpeg
    85A4EB11-35F8-40B6-83D5-0C74F33B9585.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Contacted an old high school friend that is also retired and lives on Caddo Lake. He’s going get me about a bushel of Spanish Moss for wadding so I can test that.
I have several bushels hanging in the front yard you may have, they brush my car coming and going. As to activities, I found a package from Crazy Crow on the front porch tonight containing three new Hawk handles. I promptly fitted one to my Hawk as the one in it is getting pretty beat up. With a spare on hand, I shortened the old handle until I was hitting one pace closer to the block. I had been at 8 full paces and I’m now down to 7. My accuracy is better a little closer. I still suck but am sticking most times now.

With that playing out of the way I loaded the car with various implements of death and destruction. Such things as loppers, pole saw, bush hook (some calls it a sling/Kaiser blade, I calls it a bush hook), and my totally bad a** Stihl hedge trimmer. What has any of that got to do with muzzle loading? It was all in preparation for work day tommorow at the club, the road is getting grown over as are both the Woods Walk and Archery. Got to beat back some nature.

Finished my third shoulder pouch. Made it for a hunting buddy. Nothing spectacular, simple “homemade”
Now to work on his sheath, can be carried on the pouch or on his belt.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 218068

View attachment 218069

View attachment 218073

View attachment 218071
Looking pretty spiffy Mark in that new hat😉

Latest posts

Back