• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read my local council tax bill for 2022
I am a poor pensioner but they don’t care , they want every penny I have

Attachments

• B147F1FE-C5F1-48CA-8844-EA29E9A06BA8.jpeg
    B147F1FE-C5F1-48CA-8844-EA29E9A06BA8.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 26
  • EFDEAC1E-5F3F-4426-8F19-9F3DFB325DE0.jpeg
    EFDEAC1E-5F3F-4426-8F19-9F3DFB325DE0.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 26
Made a knife sheath for a little patch knife I picked up at Dixons years ago,made it from from a old scrap of leather from a holster,used my wifes wood burner to spiff it up a little, I'm not a leather worker by any means as you can see...LOL

Also picked up a very nice late 1990" Lyman GPR .50 at Dixons about 3 weeks ago it's like new, has real nice walnut wood,bore is spotless.

I re-did the blued metal trim in a brushed silver finish with a quick one coat of cold blue to age it a little.

Attachments

• KNIFE 1.jpg
    KNIFE 1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 39
  • KNIFE 2.jpg
    KNIFE 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 45
  • muzzel bench.jpg
    muzzel bench.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 35
  • MUZZLE LOADER 1.jpg
    MUZZLE LOADER 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 33
  • awsome walnut.jpg
    awsome walnut.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 35
Nitrated some old tea bag paper. I've found it's easier to soak the paper whole first then cut out the right sized papers and end caps. Of all the different kinds of paper there has got to be a reason tea bags are rarely mentioned.

Cornstalk has inspired me, as it has been a while since I made a bag. Just ordered a tanned beaver tail and 13 sq. foot of tanned elk, going to make a bag. Was really impressed with his.
May I asked from who you order your hides and patterns? I want to get started making bags and such as a side gig for when I retire in a few years ( figure I’ll need that much practice lol).

Harvin, over the years some of the hides were picked up at event vendors, the current hide that was purchased was bought on line. I just search on the computer for the best deal I can find. I like elk leather and will use that. As to patterns I just look at different bags on the computer and go from there, but there are some books out there showing the different methods and types and there construction. I am a do it yourself type of maker so where ever my thought and ideals go I follow kinda let the process guide me. The current bag I am working on came from one a fellow member on here had made, it is not a exact copy but used ideals from that bag incorporated into mine.

Last edited:
May I asked from who you order your hides and patterns? I want to get started making bags and such as a side gig for when I retire in a few years ( figure I’ll need that much practice lol).
Do get this book on hand sewing leather goods from Tandy. It will show you the tools and procedures to properly sew up the leather bags you want to make.

The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather Book — Tandy Leather, Inc.

There are too many variations of patterns and a search on the forum will give you an idea of where to go to create a useful pattern. Remember that you want a bag just large enough for the supplies you need.

Just finished cleaning up a .44 BP revolver and my old .58cal Musketoon - both much used at the guest day today. We had quite a few people here today, guests of fellow members, who had never touched ANY kind of a firearm before in the entire lives. Amazing. After a couple of shots of BP rifles and handguns, they all had melon-eating grins on their smutty faces...it really makes me feel good to see a bunch of people have all their illusions blown away in a puff of white smoke!

Went out to my favorite shooting spot to meet a shooting buddy but he never showed up. He can't drive and his ride didn't show. I shot my TC .54 Hawkin my wife gave me back about 85 for Christmas that was a kit. That thing sure shoots good. Was hitting one pound (empty) gas cannisters at 40 to 60 some odd yards. Kind of nice being out there by myself, quiet except for the noise I made myself. Now to clean it up good. Ya-all have a good day.

Back