• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my trade gun today. I took my Pedersoli trade gun and completely stripped off the ugly factory finish, judicious sanding and many coats of BLO and I added a homemade crude rear sight.
I was surprised at how light the Pedersoli walnut is compared to the American black walnut on my T/C Seneca which I finished the same way. I love the chocolate brown!

Attachments

• 1B14B066-A6E1-486F-87DB-206297BB9B21.jpeg
    1B14B066-A6E1-486F-87DB-206297BB9B21.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • D016E907-167F-4832-B408-9D0BA129EA8B.jpeg
    D016E907-167F-4832-B408-9D0BA129EA8B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A9F65B7E-5672-4D07-9271-B7CC5D55A553.jpeg
    A9F65B7E-5672-4D07-9271-B7CC5D55A553.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Got done work late yesterday but did not want to miss a day shooting so i tried to be productive at 4:40 pm in a light snow and wind. I could not hit anything. I had about 4 hits out of 12 or so shots... finally realized that i was just wasting powder and shot... was a bit worried that something bad happened to the pistol or my glasses / eyes... got out there in decent light this afternoon and had 3 perfect hits @ 30 yards and took one perfect shot at my 60 yard plate... then went back to work. If it will just be that easy on match day ;)

Last edited:
My buddies son called today to see if I would have time to show a couple of his friends from college one of my traditional muzzleloaders. At the time I was in town getting some electrical supplies for a project tomorrow afternoon, so I told him sure meet me at the farm in an hour. A little over an hour passes and they showed up in the driveway.

I invited them in the house and showed them a Great Western Gunworks original and an original Fowler. I recently purchased a T/C New Englander, so we gathered it and some shooting supplies and headed behind the shed to a short range with a 12 inch metal plate for a target. The range is about 75 yards, but we shot only 25 to 30 yards so they could build confidence. I loaded the first shot for each of them showing them how to do it and they loaded for the rest of the shots. I was impressed as they all hit the target.

Overall a good afternoon spent with some forestry students, a little muzzleloading.and some great conversation. I let them know they are welcome to come back anytime.

Cleaned off the 'work bench' to at least see the top so I can restart casting. Thought that I had 2 casting pots but was wrong. </Feces>. Titan Reloading to the rescue it seems.
Found a separate Harbor Freight box to transport musket caps & powder. Emptied the RYE adult beverage bottle last night for the traditional Orthodox New Year. Washed it out, took a box cutter blade I found, scraped the labels off, and transferred the special sauce of isopropyl alcohol, Murphy's Oil, & H2O2 from a couple of the flip top bottles to it as an extended holding container to free up a couple of the flip top ale bottles. They're upside down on the shelf. One is getting the sewing machine oil from the old garment plant into it, another is getting Mobil 1 oil, and don't rightly recall at the moment for the 3rd.

Got in this afternoon the last 2 Case Gard shotgun boxes to start filling with the cartridge tubes for this upcoming N-SSA season. They came in too late in the day and had already started on adult fermented beverages; so, that has to wait until sunrise.

Called my cousin back in Louisiana to see if he got ahold of the guy across the road that has the 2 acre patch of bamboo. Some of those stalks are about 4" diameter at the base. Going to cut sections out, dry, polish, temper with running a BernzOmatic flame across it to give some color, scribe "Acme Powder Company" and a coyote on it, varnish, and add Tresco brass fittings for use was a black powder container. Going to do several while I'm at it. Yeah, I watched too many cartoons on Saturday AM.

Found an online vendor that has brand new Armi 1842 smoothbore muskets. Am so tempted to pull out the plastic money and just order the D@#% thing to get that N-SSA event covered. But I'm in so deep now with the project with original parts to stop now.

Went to the Kentucky Rifle Show in Alabama and got to hold Casper Mansker's gun which was built in 1791. Also handled a Kibler Woods Runner and couldn't let go! It came home with me. It's a sweet one!
20230113_085651.jpg

I was so enamored with the rifle, I didn't realize that there was his original powder horn! Wow!

Been hobbling around lately, raced my son up a steep hill grassy hill and got a mega case of retrocalcaneal bursitis, Geting it checked showed some serious bone spurs in the area. I am in fix it mode but it is going slowly.

Yesterday I had enough playing invalid and decided to walk to my neighbor's place and sit in a lock-on I put up at the start of gun season. It was perfect evening, crisp, 38 degrees with N/W wind that blew my scent away from where the deer might come out.

I was using my rebuilt TC with a GM barrel; I normally use a flintlock but cleaned and loaded this gun after I killed a 6 point with it this year (the first kill for this gun) and thought I would rather unload it on another deer than a target.

TC on the stand.JPG

Our "0" degree weather earlier this year bit back all the fescue in this field, one patch I fertilized has grown back a little, deer tend to gravitate to the fertilized spot, you can see the greener spot off the end of my gun barrel.

TC Bills field.JPG

It was a peaceful evening; 5 deer came out about 200 yards away at the lower end of the field but none in my direction.

Last edited:
Back