• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have a confessment to make. Today, I introduced a complete noob to the awful practice of setting fire to an explosive mixture of sundry elements and compounds. He had been here in Earth for over 50 years, but had never fired a BP muzzleloading firearm of any kind. He got my .577cal Musketoon to break that trend. Loaded with just 45gr of 1.5 Fg, he did pretty well, given that the trigger is like trying to pull an anvil through a buttonhole, and had the usual melon-eating grin that we all associate with a first-time shooter plastered all over his face.

As we left, around an hour later, he showed me a lovely original Colt .44cal cap and ball revolver he'd just bought to 'have' in his study. It had the stepped cylinder and a serial 80073 - perhaps that means something to you good folks here. It also had 'R' on many of the parts. Sadly, the cylinder roll-marks were badly worn, although the Colt line was fairly clear, and what looked like a bowsprit and some ship-s rigging was faintly visible. He hopes to buy something that he can shoot but you mostly know how much of a PITA that is here in UK. He's promised to bring that old Colt back next week to I can take pics for you.

Are you referring to the downward-pointing arrow stamp with a partly-struck crown? If so, yes, that means that the lock was sold out of British Government service. This is on the lockplate of what is NOW a Snider carbine -

View attachment 168858

This is on one my my Sniders -

View attachment 168862

I have never seen one on any kind of a flintlock, especially a left-hand example.
Yes, here’s a close up of the stamp. Is it British?
24C18A74-49C1-4569-99EE-C54298C4923F.jpeg

Cleaned my .50 flint deer rifle , I had to the range , so I could learn how to shoot again. I packed the truck to go to camp in the AM , for some flint bear and deer hunting. Trip will include some nice naps by the wood stove , as well , and a bottomless coffee pot with the best spring water on earth......oldwood

Cleaned my .50 flint deer rifle , I had to the range , so I could learn how to shoot again. I packed the truck to go to camp in the AM , for some flint bear and deer hunting. Trip will include some nice naps by the wood stove , as well , and a bottomless coffee pot with the best spring water on earth......oldwood

Safe journey!

Shot my flintlock this morning. Let a young fella in his early 20’s shoot it. He loved it. First time with BP and he was thrilled. Was telling his dad they need to get into BP.
They wrote down all the details of rifle, load, how to get info (might join here) and even took down the info of who made my buckskins, tomahawk, etc etc. Pretty serious inquiries. Maybe some new black powder shooters one day.

I cleaned my 1858 Parker-Hale rifle and worked on my 2 band 1863 Springfield. The brass ramrod that I had bought was too long, so I cut it down to fit. Now I need to tune the lock to get the trigger pull under 20 pounds. :D

I finally brought out the 'ol girl (CVA Hawken .50) to see how she likes the real black powder. Swiss 2F. Had some new neighbor's that needed to get broken in to the experience of living next to me. Ran several dry patches to start, then soaked one in denatured alcohol to make sure all the oil I stored it with was out. Made sure the nipple was clear and proceeded to turn charcoal into smoke and noise. I was surprised to fine a more accurate load at 80gr (by weight) under a .490 ball, .010" patch, and a wonder wad. My wife commented that that load sounded like I was shooting tannerite in the backyard, much louder, and more thump. Shot about a 2" group at 50 yards which i'm happy with. Going to confirm the load over the next week shooting a 3 shot group each evening for a few days to make sure it shoots well each time. After I hit the post reply button i'm going to go and clean the rifle.

Branden
First load I happened to try in my TC PA Hunter was a PRB over 80gr of Scheutzen 2F. Turned out to be more than adequate for the woods 🙂 Plenty good enough that I'm not inclined to raise or lower the charge

First load I happened to try in my TC PA Hunter was a PRB over 80gr of Scheutzen 2F. Turned out to be more than adequate for the woods 🙂 Plenty good enough that I'm not inclined to raise or lower the charge
I wish I had a chronograph to check the velocity, but judging by the recoil, noise, and how much it moved the steel plate, I'm certain it's more than adequate for missouri deer as well.

I was gonna shoot again yesterday, but I was sore of heck after getting back from the go kart track. I just popped some ibuprofen and laid on the couch to watch the Chiefs lose to the Bill's. I'll try to shoot again today, maybe while some paint is curing or something.

Branden

I wish I had a chronograph to check the velocity, but judging by the recoil, noise, and how much it moved the steel plate, I'm certain it's more than adequate for missouri deer as well.

I was gonna shoot again yesterday, but I was sore of heck after getting back from the go kart track. I just popped some ibuprofen and laid on the couch to watch the Chiefs lose to the Bill's. I'll try to shoot again today, maybe while some paint is curing or something.

Branden
I have chronied my Maxi-Ball loads I shoot from the others for curiosity and they start just north of 1200fps and end up a bit north of 1300fps after the fourth shot with zero swabbing between those shots. These were also being pushed by 80gr 2f as is the minimum charge recommended by TC if I recall.

The day I fired the PA Hunter I had the chrony with me but the range was a bit busy and I didn't want people waiting on me to get it set up. Otherwise I would have clocked the PRBs too. I will at some point

Yes, here’s a close up of the stamp. Is it British?View attachment 168864

Uh, yes, isn't that what I showed you in my post on the previous page?

1666015219786.png

Except that yours in on a LEFT-hand lock, and to my knowledge there were never any left-hand military locks, especially with fancy decoration. Remember, military contracts = as cheap as possible. Engraving costs money.

Did some horse tradin’ at the next-town-over gun show and got this. Left hand Chief’s Grade Trade Gun, .62 caliber, 41” barrel. Kinda thinking it may be a North Star West as the lock it nearly identical to one on ToW’s website (Sale Pending), albeit mine is LH and dirtier plus a British(?) inspection stamp.View attachment 168766View attachment 168767
That is a nice gun......good trade!

Ordered flints. Skeered me a bit when I went to TOTW and they were out of stock. I spent months gathering a few caps. Then I get a flintlock - and have to search for flints. First world problems, huh? or - are they 18th century problems?

But I did locate some...

Last edited:
Back