• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the engraveing but ther
Uh, yes, isn't that what I showed you in my post on the previous page?

View attachment 168961

Except that yours in on a LEFT-hand lock, and to my knowledge there were never any left-hand military locks, especially with fancy decoration. Remember, military contracts = as cheap as possible. Engraving costs money.
There where double flint Pistols for selected' Horse' & the Flint Cape carbine doubles had naturally a LH lock as would any of the doubles made l. But generally Non other ever did .
Rudyard

Made it till bedtime again!👍

6FEEE357-A8C9-4A5A-9072-0E2771BABC25.jpeg

Reserved two tables and made lodging reservations for the Alabama Longrifle show coming up in January 13th & 14th at Joe Wheeler State Park. Rooms at the lodge were already sold out so I got a cabin.

It's a nice little show, y'all come check it out.

Well, I WAS going to the range today to play with my trade gun and new to me .45 flint pistol. However, we're incredibly dry with burn bans all over, winds gusting to 40 today and our range is literally in the middle of BFE. We just had a 300-acre fire South of me yesterday that took about 8 departments about 3 hours to put out. The smallest spark right now could turn into a wildfire in minutes, so I'm not taking any risks.

ran the pemi valley woods walk. most folks seemed to be taking it easy and walking untimed. i ran it with my trapper pistol and hit 6 of 9 plates. its set for rifles and only one station has what i would consider pistol targets so i was very happy with my result. last winter on the same course I think I only hit 3 targets. went back with my camera and walked the course. still only got 6 targets... got some fun photos though.
NKG_3689.jpg

NKG_3734.jpg

NKG_3753.jpg

NKG_3864.jpg

NKG_3865.jpg

NKG_3870.jpg

Last day of early muzzleloader season for me, hunted three days, seen deer every day but not the buck I was after. Seemed he just vanished, had him on a trail cam everyday up to time to hunt. Nice weather all three days, lots of turkeys and squirrels along with the does and yearlings that showed up, all in all seen at least 15 deer in three days, the one was a long spike let him pass until he grows up. Shared the mountain with a hunting hawk also, watched it make three passes before connecting with a chipmunk. All in all a good three days,now to wait until the end of Nov. for the next hunt.

Forgot, there was a black fox squirrel in my hunting area for the last 2-3- years, when hunting squirrels I would let him alone hoping for a gene pool to develop, well to my surprise while hunting the last three days I seen 4 other black squirrels, and a fox squirrel with a black tail and red guard hairs along the edge, looks like the original one was a busy fella. Another year or two if they increase it will be time to take one. I have a black tricorn that its tail will make a great roset for.

Ran a match in northeast georgia. 16 folks, 3 hours of shootin on a cool morning that warmed up. Beautiful sunny lite breezy day. One first timer new guy at the end of the shoot said, "when is the next one and how do I join?" Other than the used patches in the browning grass they do not even know we were there. Great day of fellowship, friendship and shooting.

ran the pemi valley woods walk. most folks seemed to be taking it easy and walking untimed. i ran it with my trapper pistol and hit 6 of 9 plates. its set for rifles and only one station has what i would consider pistol targets so i was very happy with my result. last winter on the same course I think I only hit 3 targets. went back with my camera and walked the course. still only got 6 targets... got some fun photos though. View attachment 170188
View attachment 170189
View attachment 170190
View attachment 170191
View attachment 170192
View attachment 170193
Those are awesome photos.

I installed an L&R RPL percussion lock on my made in USA 50 cal CVA Mountain Rifle. I fired A dozen or so shots with it. What a difference! It works perfectly. Now I will have to figure out the finish. The barrel and trigger guard are browned. The raw finish on the lock looks pretty good though, I might just let it age.

finished making dust and hit my fowler stock with aqua fortis, blushed it, used Minwax colonial maple stain, and one coat
20221023_184145.jpg
Birchwood Casey sealer/filler.
now to polish up the metal.
have to decide if i am going to brown or gray the barrel. decisions, decisions.
starting to hear geese so am fighting the urge to get it done quick!
Someday when i grow up i will get a camera that takes better pictures!
20221023_184153.jpg
20221023_184208.jpg

I went out burning coal with my CVA St Louis Hawken with some 270 grain Buffalo Ball-ets that I got at Johnson's Sporting Goods in Adrian, MI a couple years ago. I settled on a charge of 90 grains but now that I have it sighted in I only have about 8 Ball-ets left and I guess the company went out of business. So I'll be back to patched round balls until I can find a good conical or something. It's a 1:32" twist so I think it should shoot maxi-balls well. Have a great week all!

Back