• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, UK resident, I used to live on Bisley Camp.

Bisley MLAGB hut no longer, NRA have taken it on (politics)

Surrey MLAGB

http://mlagb-surrey.org.uk/
very best to youšŸŗ
Well, went to Bisley, cartridges were a great success. Canā€™t prove it as I only fired a couple myself. Group of youngsters from a local school had a great morning ā€˜though! Seeing the apprehensive looks on those kids faces turn to grins and ā€œWows!ā€ of pure delight warmed my cockles to near boiling point! 400 mile round trip for my trigger time? Most definitely!

Attended another gunshow today.I used to go to these things quite often but that was years ago. I really like the feeling of being ground like mInded people but it looks like Muzzleloading and Blackpowder guns have really fallen out of favor. Are we too old fashioned maybe?

Ran a shooting match down in here north georgia. Beautiful day to be out. Great fellowship as well.

A little more on the TC stock overhaul; I was showing my finished gun to a friend and held it up with a window behind it, I could see daylight between the buttplate and the wood, this won't do. I never looked at the factory buttplate inletting having found it to be good on all the TCs I have owned totaling at least 8 or more.

I can't stand glaring inletting gaps so I carefully worked to fix things. It is a little more touchy with the finish on the gun but slow and steady wins the race.

First I blacken the buttplate on an oil lamp.

LN0ARVI.jpg

Then tap it into place and look for the sooted high spots.

BnCiSoA.jpg

Careful removing the blackened areas lightly with a skew chisel after re-blackening about a dozen times brought the buttplate to a gap free fit.

n3QGMWP.jpg

Attended another gunshow today.I used to go to these things quite often but that was years ago. I really like the feeling of being ground like mInded people but it looks like Muzzleloading and Blackpowder guns have really fallen out of favor. Are we too old fashioned maybe?
I can not abide the large shows. It's all plastic rifles and autoloading shotguns and not a used muzzleloader to be found. But small shows put on by local clubs can be interesting.

Shot the Kibler SMR 45. Nice sunny day at the range. Lots of people shooting sporting clays
with unmentionables. I had the rifle range to myself.

Shot my Frontier flintlock today. The 50 yd range was full of shooters so the only available spot was on the 100 yd.

100 yds off hand, 3 shots missed the paper altogether, but got some on the circle at least. The good news is I have had zero hang fires, misfires or any issues at all in the last 2 range sessions. Not bad for a brand new flintlock shooter I think. Sparks/Kaboom/Smoke....just like it's supposed to.
Apr 24th Frontier 100 yds off hand.jpg Apr 24th.jpeg

There was a family there shooting so I let the 12 yr old boy shoot the flintlock. From a bench with the barrel supported. When it went off he said "WHOA!"....and his dad got it on video. There's something to show the kids at school tomorrow...haha. Maybe another BP shooter started today....

I shot competition all weekend!

Way out of practice but still had a good time.

Finished installing a touch hole liner into a .50 flint barrel. Run outa time , so will put the barrel in the browning box tomorrow. Next day will be finish assembly , wax , and then to the range. 80 Gr. FFFG , .490 r/b , lube on .013 patches . Will put target at 25 yds. ,and one at 60.. File for front sight , and a brass drift. Then for the fun..............Hopefully the new owner , can go along to the range. Will have to teach him to load , fire , and how to shoot the rifle accurately enough to hit a deer in the vitals. Amazingly few folks go out on their own , and practice. Just shake my old grey haired head. ;) ......oldwood

Took the #2 twin turkey hunting this morning. He missed a bird with the smoothbore during the Mo youth season, then killed one the next day with a modern 20ga. So, for his second tag, heā€™s going flintlock or bust! I donā€™t reckon thereā€™s too many 11 yr old kids doing it the hard way?!!! He is using my A. Comer fowler, and I was on my trade gun. No turkeys were harmed, darnit.

AFA10C90-5B16-4008-AC3A-58E5F88C4D50.jpeg
D8A4B27C-CF73-4267-A84B-B4CD0B8A7674.jpeg

Back