• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What mold is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Added exponentially to my mold collection today. Bought out an old friend’s stash. Don’t think we found them all, and he is probably going to give me a bunch of bullets he has already cast. May try and buy his very extensive reloading equipment also. But I digress. Got this .50 (?) Maxi ball mold, aluminum and only marked “771”. I don’t have any others of this type to compare but assume it is a T/C? Interestingly, the stash also contained a set of Lyman steel mold blocks for a nearly identical bullet. Which brings up another question, which blocks would you prefer using? The steel Lyman or these?
031085A7-13E0-40BF-8AC5-5179B7055741.jpeg

T/C sold Maxi-Ball molds for their rifles. They did not make them but contracted them to be made by mold manufactures mostly if not all from Lyman. I like steel molds but not the prices. I have a lot of Lee molds which are OK and the price is even better.

Added exponentially to my mold collection today. Bought out an old friend’s stash. Don’t think we found them all, and he is probably going to give me a bunch of bullets he has already cast. May try and buy his very extensive reloading equipment also. But I digress. Got this .50 (?) Maxi ball mold, aluminum and only marked “771”. I don’t have any others of this type to compare but assume it is a T/C? Interestingly, the stash also contained a set of Lyman steel mold blocks for a nearly identical bullet. Which brings up another question, which blocks would you prefer using? The steel Lyman or these?
View attachment 218942
TW, I've used both "steel" (meehanite) and anodized aluminum Maxi-Ball moulds and don't have a preference when casting. However, I most certainly prefer the T/C sourced moulds over the Lymans as the latter varied quite a bit in diameter and thus weight. I.e., some cast too small to be engraved by the rifling as they were designed to do, others were oversized, heavy, and harder to start. The T/C's on the other hand were right on the money and certainly cast beautifully. Btw, judging by the sprue cutter shape, I think your mould was produced by Green Mountain or possibly Shiloh, although Ohaus also made them.

Back