• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball mold #2 - Success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A while back I posted about my first try at round ball mold making. A friend of mine made a rifle from a barrel that wasn't quite 50 caliber. He needed a mold that would throw a .480" or ..485" ball. I got a 31/64" ball end mill and gave it a try. It was not perfectly round. The cutter was off center so the diameter varied by 0.010".

This time around I tried a slightly smaller ball end mill (15/32") and used a previous attempt at a mold half to center the cutter. I was cautious about the depth of cut and cast a ball that looked like a moon pie. I measured it and figured how much more depth I needed. Finished the last 0.010" by turning the headstock by hand to avoid chatter marks.

I ended up with a mold that casts balls around .472", varying a thousandth either way depending on which direction I measured them.

You may notice if you look closely that the sprue hole isn't centered on the divide between the halves. Don't try to add and divide decimals in your head late in the day. I had to machine and file out the overhang on the deep side. The sprue looks wonky but the ball itself is fine.

My friend is going to try out the balls I cast and make some more if they work. The previous oblate spheroid ones from the uneven mold did group on the paper, but I was dissatisfied.

472 mold both.jpg

472 mold closed top.jpg

I borrowed 8-32 screws from a Lyman mold. I drilled and threaded the mold blocks so they can be used with standard handles. I made these handles out of some scrap.
472 mold closed bottom.jpg

It looks like a tedious job. Well done!
Soon you'll be able to knock'm out and sell'm for $40 apiece,,
Just imagine the market you'll have, :eek:

Back