• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Kind of Wood is This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Mowery .50 caliber Hawken replica made in Olney, Texas. I have been trying to figure out what wood the stock is made of and thought maybe one of you would be far more knowledgeable than me. Here are some photos:
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2599.jpeg
IMG_2601.jpeg
IMG_2603.jpeg

Thank you. Yes, no curly maple here. I have thought of refinishing the stock tho I don't know what finish is on there. I should have asked more question back in the early 70's when I bought it. I purchased it at a store near Denver. Upon completing the transaction I was directed to a nearby outdoor range where the other shooters could help me get organized and learn how to load and maintain this rifle. I believe I was shooting downrange about 50 yds and, per instructions, loaded a 75 grain FF charge. Now for the top shooters there was a frying pan hanging from two stakes up on the hill the range was facing. I was new to the double set trigger though not new to shooting. As I brought Old Betsey up to my shoulder I had my finger on the hair trigger and, of course, it went off. Old Betsey and I went into the air. As I came down I heard the ping from that frying pan. Best shot I ever made! I learn not to touch that trigger again until I was ready to shoot.

Mowrey hawken?
Yes the company has been out of business for quite a few years now. It was originally in Olney, Texas and then moved to somewhere in Indiana. I don't know any details aside from that. They were known for making fine reproductions of the Hawken and other muzzleloaders. Here is one text from the Amerian Longrifle Association:
Mowrey's had good barrels, and incredibly simple locks, that functioned well. They were a copy of the Allen&Thurber late percussion box lock rifle. They made a couple of models, one in a plains rifle caliber, and a smaller version in Squirrel cablers. They all had curly maple stocks. The steel action is preferable, since the steel tumbler would wear the brass action, and require bushing to cure binding, over time. They also made a Hawken, but I've never seen one.
I owned a Mowrey in .45 Cal., years ago. It was one of their squirrel models. It shot very well, and for a single trigger, had a smooth trigger pull.

Yes Mowrey made a few different styles of muzzleloaders. I have a 50 caliber rifle as well as a smoothbore. Below is a pic of the smoothbore.

Attachments

• lR0L7K.jpg
    lR0L7K.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 0
  • vgGlub.jpg
    vgGlub.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back