• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Because I need another iron in the fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So in addition to Dad's Hawken, I have pulled my old Civil War, Korean manufactured, replica in 58 caliber out and am trying to get it shooting as well. Just wondering what powder the 58 shooters here are using?

So in addition to Dad's Hawken, I have pulled my old Civil War, Korean manufactured, replica in 58 caliber out and am trying to get it shooting as well. Just wondering what powder the 58 shooters here are using?
Well, every rifle as you knew is going to be different. What rifle and twist do you have? Of course you realize we need some visual of said rifle! 😁 C'mon man, throw the dogs a bone!😂

Generally 60-75 grains 2 f depending on the barrel length
But you may get your best shots with 50, the mast important parts are a bullet that fits the bore.

Well, every rifle as you knew is going to be different. What rifle and twist do you have? Of course you realize we need some visual of said rifle! 😁 C'mon man, throw the dogs a bone!😂
I will take a picture, I have no idea what the twist rate is, I had a Lee Minnie mould, but sadly it broke. When I came into possession of it back in the early 80s, I shot the same Pyrodex Dad used in his Hawken. I planned on trying some round ball in it, at least until I get another Minnie. I bought some Hornady swaged balls, since the used round ball mould I picked up drops a .575 ball, too big for this rifle.

The first muzzleloader I owned.

Attachments

• 20231120_201611.jpg
    20231120_201611.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231120_201810.jpg
    20231120_201810.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Wow! That is some good shooting! Which bullet is that? I don't have any FFFg Old E, so I am going to try the FFg I have, I do have FFFg standard Goex, but in my BPCR rifle the 3 fouled a lot more than the 2 did. I need to find a screw for the rear sight, or a whole new assembly, as the screw in mine broke some time ago. Speaking of sights, what sight picture are you using for your 50 yard shooting? I am looking forward to exercising the old gal.

Dave

I use .60 gr of Goex FF with a 505 gr .575 minie ball in my '64 US Springfield. I use .55 gr of Goex FF with 530 gr .550 Pritchett bullets in my Enfields. I also use my own homemade beeswax and tallow lube

Last edited:
Wow! That is some good shooting! Which bullet is that? I don't have any FFFg Old E, so I am going to try the FFg I have, I do have FFFg standard Goex, but in my BPCR rifle the 3 fouled a lot more than the 2 did. I need to find a screw for the rear sight, or a whole new assembly, as the screw in mine broke some time ago. Speaking of sights, what sight picture are you using for your 50 yard shooting? I am looking forward to exercising the old gal.

Dave

Load data is written on the target. The RCBS Hogdon is a style of minie and the mold is currently still available. We've covered how to make a minie rifle shoot well many times. The basics don't change.

I try to set up all my competition rifles for a center hold meaning point of impact is same as point of aim. There are those who will go on about 6oclock, but the reality is a 6oclock hold being accurate is dictated by a set size of target never changing to work properly. In our competition, target sizes vary and a 6oclock hold that is dandy for one type may make the next type harder to hit because of the bullet hitting high relative to the point of aim.

Latest posts

Back