• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What flintlock style should I consider?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you would be interested to attend the shows in Lewisburg or Ft Frederick, Md. Both are artisans shows, reasonably close by for you, and will have rifles and builders there to answer your original question. I believe the Lewisburg show is in January. This is the 18th Century Artisan Show. You’ll love it. And much closer to Pgh. Than Dixon’s in Kempton (Berkshire Co. )
I'll look that up, thank you! I do not live in PA anymore, but it still may be close enough of a drive. I currently live near Ann Arbor, MI.

I haven't seen one in person, but they're supposed to be the easiest to assemble of all. I know you were looking at having one built. You could get one of his and have it built for you. Unless you want a shorter barrel, Kibler's colonial really would tick all the boxes you mentioned so far.
Indeed, they do look to be well done, and a huge step up from some of the more commercialized kits available. I do like that Colonial kit a lot, particularly the photos of the pro-built kits. I'm sure that I could build it and do a respectable job as a hobbyist I built a pistol from kit that turned out really nice and I'm proud to carry it, but if I'm completely honest, it's nothing special in comparison to what some of our artisans can put out. Unfortunately I have no carving skills whatsoever , and I do like carvings... I just wasn't born with an artistic eye, and while I'm willing to learn new things and I have a mechanical mind, I don't think that I'd do a respectable job at the artistry of gun building no matter how much time I had to practice, or how many stocks I ruined in the process. Artsy isn't me, and I'm too darn critical about my own work.

I grew up near Pittsburgh, PA, and our hunting camp when I was a kid was NE of there in Cameron County, PA. It's been decades since I've lived in PA, but I still return to hunt with both of my brothers where we grew up (one brother still lives there), and also over near State College (the other brother).

As I dream about someday having a custom flintlock rifle built for me, I'm interested in trying to consider my roots. Unfortunately I've yet to find a place where I could compare flintlock rifles side-by-side, shoulder a few, and get a feel for how they all differ, so I'm a bit in a bind to gain confidence in what I like best.

I know that Lancaster, PA has a rich history in gun building, but I didn't really grow up there, so I'm not "locked into" Lancaster-styles. If I'm completely honest, I have a hard time understanding the differences between various styles of flintlock rifles, but from what I gather, a lot of the Lancaster rifles seem to have a butt-stock that drops considerably (looks almost droopy to me).

My dad has a lot of German heritage too, and I know that the "Pennsylvania Dutch" suggests German designs... so does that mean that Jukar's would be common in PA in the heyday of flintlocks?

I guess I'm asking those with much better historical knowledge than me to help direct me to a few different styles to consider. My main goals would be to have a really beautiful and functional piece to be proud of, and that would emulate guns of the time and place. I would hunt deer with this future gun, and I would shoot it at the range for kicks. It must be a flintlock for me, and I prefer a rifle over a smooth bore as I'm not a bird/smallgame hunter these days, and I prefer rifles. My current flinter is a .54 and I like that caliber, and I built a kit pistol to match, so I'm hopeful to stay with .54 but I would consider other calibers suitable for deer.

Finally... I'm 53 and still working full time, but eventually I could envision myself fooling around at various rendezvous eventually when time is not so pressured for me. As such, I'd be interested in a flintlock that would match perhaps a trapper or mountain man theme.

Thoughts?
I built all my guns Pa. Lancaster style. Over the years I got tired of carry the long guns so I built a German Jaeger with a sling in 50 cal. If I built another one I would make it in 54 cal. just to make it a hair lighter. They are a very well balanced gun. Hope this helps. The older u get the heavier the gun gets.

Check the "Classifieds" here i there is a Lancaster listed in .54 and I beleive the gun is listed as "flint longrifle" or flintlock longrifle". Opinions of it all seem positive. I think price was $1100 but I am in a hurry and can't check. If you are ready to go with a buy, this may be just the ticket.
ThreeCrows

If you want to get back to your roots with a rifle style, I am suggesting a Bedford school of stock. They have a distinct style and shape. Check Track of the Wolf. They have rifle stocks precarved in many different schools of architecture. Fun place to visit on the web.

Fleener's came here in the mid 1700's. I wanted a rifle that could be representative of what they "might of had" after they had been here a few years.

So, I had Mitch Yates build me a Christian Springs, Dickert style rifle. It is a .54 cal, wide and fairly flat butt plate. Green Mtn barrel.

It was not cheap and it is not quick. I think it took 2 years. But I knew that up front. Mitch was great to work with and we communicated with each other quite well.

For me I had to figure out what I wanted, and then who is the builder?

For me this was a pleasant journey, and having a builder that I trusted and he kept me in the loop helped.

The rifle is outstanding, everything I wanted, could not be happier.

I could of saved myself some money by doing a Kibler rifle, but at the time, they were not available.

Good Luck

Fleener

If you want to get back to your roots with a rifle style, I am suggesting a Bedford school of stock. They have a distinct style and shape. Check Track of the Wolf. They have rifle stocks precarved in many different schools of architecture. Fun place to visit on the web.
The Bedford school rifles have a rather extreme shape to their stocks. The amount of "drop" the butt of the stock has below the center of the barrel isn't to everyone's tastes. Some have suggested it is related to a hockey stick. :oops:

They are interesting guns and in the smaller calibers like a .45, they are easy to shoot. In the larger calibers, the amount of drop does tend to cause the barrel to rise quite a lot but, because the comb of the gun is low and straight, it doesn't usually slap your cheek.
Below is the Bedford I built from a Pecatonica River "kit".

BEDFORD.jpg
Bedfordbutt.jpg
lBedford.jpg

Although the rifle in the picture shows a percussion lock, I built this rifle to use both flintlock and percussion. It uses L&R Bedford locks.
Some say the Bedford's are all percussion guns but that isn't true. There are a lot of Bedford flintlocks, several of them being shown in the book, "The BEDFORD COUNTY RIFLE and Its Makers" by Calvin Hetrick.

Last edited:
Thanks for these suggestions guys. I admit that the Bedford style does drop a little much for my tastes. I guess it’s a blessing in disguise that I don’t have the funds for this immmediately, and that it takes a while to build them anyway!!

The good thing is that you should never pay the builder 100% up front to make you a rifle. Might have to pay X up front, as well you should to save your spot in line and to help cover the cost of materials. Two years allowed me sell some guns to help pay for the custom flinter and hide some more money away from my banker.

Fleener

In the custom gun world I hate it when I am told it will take 3 months and it turns into 2 years. It is not uncommon to have people miss lead you on time.

I was very up front with the builders I talked to. If it is two years, tell me it is two years. Mitch told me 1.5 years when I booked it and it ended up taking 2 years. However, we were in communication the whole time and he was honest with me. That means a lot to me.

Fleener

It gets brought up so often it is almost cliche but a Kibler Lancaster would fit a broad range of time frames and provide a rifle of excellent quality.
I haven't seen one in person, but they're supposed to be the easiest to assemble of all. I know you were looking at having one built. You could get one of his and have it built for you. Unless you want a shorter barrel, Kibler's colonial really would tick all the boxes you mentioned so far.
I agree. Jim will even assemble it for you, called “in the white” so only thing left for a hobbiest is to apply the finishes.

Ok, why would you ask someone else to pick out a shirt for you? A car or pickup? A hair color maybe?
Wouldn't you want to pick out one that you like instead of one someone else likes?
:dunno:
Well, maybe the OP was wondering if there were some styles of flintlocks he had never heard of or considered?

For instance, the Bedford which was mentioned above isn't a style that jumps to mind of most people when asked about styles that are out there.
Likewise, the Reading school with its "Roman nose", curved shaped butt stock is often overlooked. Speaking of the Reading, that's what some of the old Dixie Kentucky Rifles used for their stock shape. The manufacturer went way overboard on the curve making it grossly humped.
A bit of research shows the typical comb on a Reading has a gentle curve to it like my attempt to make a Figthorn rifle shown below.
ROMAN.jpg

Well, maybe the OP was wondering if there were some styles of flintlocks he had never heard of or considered?

For instance, the Bedford which was mentioned above isn't a style that jumps to mind of most people when asked about styles that are out there.
Likewise, the Reading school with its "Roman nose", curved shaped butt stock is often overlooked. Speaking of the Reading, that's what some of the old Dixie Kentucky Rifles used for their stock shape. The manufacturer went way overboard on the curve making it grossly humped.
A bit of research shows the typical comb on a Reading has a gentle curve to it like my attempt to make a Figthorn rifle shown below.
View attachment 41090
Dang Zonie - you do have some BEAUTIFUL guns..... 😍
How about re-posting that pic with the tall rackful of fine art?
That would give the OP some eye candy....

Thanks guys. Indeed, pictures definitely help. I feel like I could invest a lifetime in reading, and believe me, I’m reading! And I’m appreciative of everyone’s response.

Ok, why would you ask someone else to pick out a shirt for you? A car or pickup? A hair color maybe?
Wouldn't you want to pick out one that you like instead of one someone else likes?
:dunno:

Danger! Danger! Because I'm an awful cook. It's called being married. I don't remember the last time I decided what to wear when we went out on a social outing together!;)

Danger! Danger! Because I'm an awful cook. It's called being married. I don't remember the last time I decided what to wear when we went out on a social outing together!;)
OKOKOK --- You owe me a couple of large paper towels to clean up my keyboard....... (That was good sir)
P.S. - I'm pretty sure our wives are sisters.....?????

Dang Zonie - you do have some BEAUTIFUL guns..... 😍
How about re-posting that pic with the tall rackful of fine art?
That would give the OP some eye candy....
I'm not sure which tall rackfull you mean but I did take some old photos and set them up to show a few of my rifles.
KentuckyButts2.jpg

From left to right, the first one is a Northhampton county boy's rifle in .36 caliber. Next to it is a Pecatonica River "Transitional" butt in .54 caliber. This would be a early style. Next is a Southern style, probably from the Carolina's (I didn't use photos to define this gun). Last, on the right is the Reading rifle I posted above.

KentuckyButts.jpg

Again, from the left is a "Early Lancaster" with the straight comb typical of Lancaster's. Next to the right is a "Late Lancaster". It's comb is similar but the butt is narrower and slimmer. The curvature of the butt plate is more pronounced. The checkering follows that used on a Fordney rifle I used as a basis for this gun. The checkering is not deep like modern checkering. It was more of a decoration.
Next to the right is the Bedford County I showed in the post above. Last, on the right is a Franklin County style. It is similar to the Bedford but it is not as slim. The lock used is typical of the locks used on other longrifles, not the long slim lock found on the Bedfords.

Hope this helps. :)

Back