• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What flintlock style should I consider?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I grew up near Pittsburgh, PA, and our hunting camp when I was a kid was NE of there in Cameron County, PA. It's been decades since I've lived in PA, but I still return to hunt with both of my brothers where we grew up (one brother still lives there), and also over near State College (the other brother).

As I dream about someday having a custom flintlock rifle built for me, I'm interested in trying to consider my roots. Unfortunately I've yet to find a place where I could compare flintlock rifles side-by-side, shoulder a few, and get a feel for how they all differ, so I'm a bit in a bind to gain confidence in what I like best.

I know that Lancaster, PA has a rich history in gun building, but I didn't really grow up there, so I'm not "locked into" Lancaster-styles. If I'm completely honest, I have a hard time understanding the differences between various styles of flintlock rifles, but from what I gather, a lot of the Lancaster rifles seem to have a butt-stock that drops considerably (looks almost droopy to me).

My dad has a lot of German heritage too, and I know that the "Pennsylvania Dutch" suggests German designs... so does that mean that Jukar's would be common in PA in the heyday of flintlocks?

I guess I'm asking those with much better historical knowledge than me to help direct me to a few different styles to consider. My main goals would be to have a really beautiful and functional piece to be proud of, and that would emulate guns of the time and place. I would hunt deer with this future gun, and I would shoot it at the range for kicks. It must be a flintlock for me, and I prefer a rifle over a smooth bore as I'm not a bird/smallgame hunter these days, and I prefer rifles. My current flinter is a .54 and I like that caliber, and I built a kit pistol to match, so I'm hopeful to stay with .54 but I would consider other calibers suitable for deer.

Finally... I'm 53 and still working full time, but eventually I could envision myself fooling around at various rendezvous eventually when time is not so pressured for me. As such, I'd be interested in a flintlock that would match perhaps a trapper or mountain man theme.

Thoughts?

Not sure I can help you much as I'm not real knowledgeable on the different styles, but one thing I do know owning a Lancaster styled Flintlock is, the stock actually has less drop in the butt than say a Bucks county, or even some of the southern guns. My current build is based on an Andrew Verner stock and it's got much more drop in it than the Lancaster.

For an entrance into flintlock shooting, I’m not sure you need a grand entrance with the perfect gun. Are you planning to build or buy? If building I’m guessing you’re new at building as well. So that limits what you can take on.
Learning online about a deep and wide topic is a very limited approach. Books could help a lot.
Lancaster rifles do not have a lot of drop. Some later Lehigh, Bedford, and other styles did.
If you decide on a truly custom rifle you’re looking at $2500+ and a year or more.

For an entrance into flintlock shooting, I’m not sure you need a grand entrance with the perfect gun. Are you planning to build or buy? If building I’m guessing you’re new at building as well. So that limits what you can take on.
Learning online about a deep and wide topic is a very limited approach. Books could help a lot.
Lancaster rifles do not have a lot of drop. Some later Lehigh, Bedford, and other styles did.
If you decide on a truly custom rifle you’re looking at $2500+ and a year or more.
Rich-
While I enjoyed building my Pendersoli Kentucky pistol from a kit, I am kicking off this research now for a custom built rifle from a real craftsman, not a hobbyist like myself. I recognize the budget that you suggested, and I know that there are long lines for the better builders.

Some of my reading suggests that the Hawkin styles probably were more common in the larger caliber, and among mountain men/fur trappers. I'm not opposed to those, but I do love the ornate, curly maples that are common on the full-stock long rifles... Hmm...

Some of my reading suggests that the Hawkin styles probably were more common in the larger caliber, and among mountain men/fur trappers. I'm not opposed to those, but I do love the ornate, curly maples that are common on the full-stock long rifles... Hmm...
Hawken and the brother plains style guns did come in to style as flintlock was going out.
Up until the 1830s Pennsylvania gunmakers were making Rifles to sell to the mountain men in flint lock, boasting some curly maple.
Most of these guns were in the .50 range during the early Mountain man times growing to .54 later in time
When rifles were first made in Pennsylvania there was plenty of big game to be had. Some moose, eastren woodland buffalo and eastren elk.
Should you want a .54 style gun it might be a bit big for a federal style,1790-1810 gun. But right in a revolution and pre revolution style.
Or
You can go with a Pennsylvania made westren trade rifle. Mostly Lancaster and British styling and large caliber
Brother to the Pennsylvania style, and oft with a Lancaster look is the Maryland and Virginia style and appropriate to the large caliber.

How interested are you in a rifle that is "period correct/historically correct?" If you want one that is a dead wringer for an original from the 18th century, then you'll probably have to do a fair bit of research and pay more for the finished product. You mentioned maybe going to a rendezvous at some point, and the groups who do re-enacting are especially focused on getting the details just right.

However, if you want one that is "in the style of" a certain region or maker, but doesn't have to be perfect for the period, you have a lot more options. At the end of the day, I honestly would start with a look through as many pictures as you can, and then narrow based on what is appealing.

Dixons Muzzleloading Fair would have many to see and handle in person, though it got canceled this year. There might be a muzzleloading club or group near you, and those groups are always happy to have people look and ask questions.

Thanks guys. As to how perfectly PC I need to be, I think the answer is more along the lines of "in the style of," even if not perfect, as I may (or may not) ever get into the re-enacting scene, and if I do, it'll be a decade or more from now, so I'd have time to get even more PC if the bug continues to grow inside my brain.

Pedisoli offers a military style jaegar rifle. It’s not a copy of any particular gun and is ‘in the style of’. It’s a good looking gun. I can’t say anything as to the quality of the lock, I’ve never owned one or seen one in the flesh. I’ve seen them shoot on you tube only.
It’s offered in .54. Has a shorter barrel that some find easier to use the longer Pennsylvania style guns.
Also you might look at the 1803 US rifle. A solid work-a-day gun. .54 flint, 32 inch barrel. I think Pedi does one of these too.

Get a copy of "The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle", by Kaufman. There are photos and descriptions of various styles, so you can make an informed decision. A copy should be available through library loan, if you library does not have it.

I haven't seen one in person, but they're supposed to be the easiest to assemble of all. I know you were looking at having one built. You could get one of his and have it built for you. Unless you want a shorter barrel, Kibler's colonial really would tick all the boxes you mentioned so far.

I believe you would be interested to attend the shows in Lewisburg or Ft Frederick, Md. Both are artisans shows, reasonably close by for you, and will have rifles and builders there to answer your original question. I believe the Lewisburg show is in January. This is the 18th Century Artisan Show. You’ll love it. And much closer to Pgh. Than Dixon’s in Kempton (Berkshire Co. )

Back