• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do people carry in a Belt Bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd411111

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok,I know every thing we carry in our shooting/possible bag pretty much pertains to shooting. Haversack usually flint and still kit,food, moccasin grease,sewing kit etc. Just wondering what everyone carry's in their belt bag? Just got one and use it for my lead balls on a woods walk loose just to reload quicker but those are usually kept in the shooting bag.

I have a split-belly pouch that contains pre-measured shot loads (wrapped in brown paper and lubed) on one side and a small tin with shot cards on the other.

I don't even own a shoulder bag, keep looking at some nice Elk skin bags though :grin:

I shoot flintlock and use a belt bag, I keep all the stuff you would need for loading and such in it.

Quite strictly speaking, if you have a bag you call a " belt bag" then you would have to carry belts in it. Peculiar the English language isn't it?

jd411111 said:
Ok,I know every thing we carry in our shooting/possible bag pretty much pertains to shooting. Haversack usually flint and still kit,food, moccasin grease,sewing kit etc. Just wondering what everyone carry's in their belt bag? Just got one and use it for my lead balls on a woods walk loose just to reload quicker but those are usually kept in the shooting bag.
:photoSmile:

Actually I did use it earlier this morning squirrel hunting and put wasp nest and Spainish moss wadding for my Fowler in it. I've seen some people use a belt bag instead of a shooting bag and some have both.

I keep cell phone keys and wallet in my pockets. Shooting stuff goes in my shooting bag. I have a small slit bag, a miniature market wallet, that has my fire kit and pipe fixings in it.
Sewing kit and such odds and ends I keep in camp, or if I’m trekking it goes in my snap sack, along with rest of my trekking gear. Blanket and tarp if I have one is warped around my snap sack. If I’m just on a day trip my snap sack pretty small, overnight I use my big one.
Technically a haversack is just for food. I have used one as a possibles bag stuffed as you say with odds and ends, but I don’t know how common that would be in a civilian setting. Now a milita man after service was done might have said “ hmm this is handy”, and used it as a possibles bag. I have spent more then one night with a haversack and a blanket roll.
Most people that travel far in the old days would pack a horse or boat of some sort.

My "belt bag" contains one tin of caps, one nipple wrench, one ball puller, one patch retriever, several cleaning patches, and some extra shooting patches.It has six compartments each sized for the components and fits nicely on the belt with a "fold over flap to keep out rain. :idunno: :idunno:

The only time I carry a bag is deer hunting and it's a waterproof belt bag with 2 pockets inside and another zipper one outside. The outside pocket carries a ziplock bag with rubber gloves,a couple twist ties, some orange flag ribbon, a vile of matches, some paper towels and a small cow's knee. I carry extra speed loads in the inside pocket and another snuff tin with extra leather/flint, patch grabber, bore guide and a small tool that fits in the hammer hole for changing flint.

One speed load, a pan charger and a short starter in my right jacket pocket and a small double sided plastic pill can with alcohol moistened cleaning patches/dry patches in my left jacket pocket. On my belt is a knife and a deer drag that fits inside a 1" diameter tube holder. I keep the ball/cleaning jag on the ramrod all the time and the rifle has a removable sling that can go in the bags other inside pocket. If I knap I use the bottom of the frizzen when hunting.

It all goes back in the bag and zipped up at the end of the day. I probably forgot something but all I need is in the bag about the size of 2 beer cans.

For range work everything I use goes in 5 gallon bucket along with the bag and put the lid on it.

I try to adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle. :pop:

For a day's deer hunt with my T/C Seneca .45, in a small bag, I only keep a few speedloaders, each stuffed with a conical boolit, the powder charge & a percussion cap.

If I'm using a rocklock, the same thing, less the percussion caps, but usually substituting a PRB for the conical.

I carry my balls in mine on my left side. :shocked2:

Plus a percussion tin with pre cut round patches in it.

Stick a few patches in your mouth , leave the flap un buttoned for easy access to the balls.

Shooting pouch contains flint wallet , cows knee, lock vise, turn screw, small bottle of denatured alcohol , small roll of pillow ticking , wooden mallet & phone sometimes.

Peculiar the English language isn't it

Well I speak 'Mer'can, I live West of Bal'mer, in the State of Mar'lin, Hon, however,...,

When the need does arise, I am capable of conversation in The Queen's English, as I did the other day when helping a lad with his Austin Healy Sprite, as we opened the bonnet on the automobile, and applied a spanner to the problem, as a train passed, and the train was pulling many wagons. :haha:

LD

I guess it would depend on whether the person was a man or woman.....the bell bag could be used by a woman in lieu of a purse and naturally a guy carries a bunch of mundane items in it......Fred

Latest posts

Back