• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Do I Have

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Many years ago, on a whim, I purchased a reproduction of a Brown Bess on GunBroker. I grew up the Williamsburg, VA, area and have always been intrigued by muskets. It is a beautiful weapon but I don’t know much about it. On the left side of the barrel is stamped Dixie Gunworks along with a serial number. On the lock is stamped TOWER and some sort of British looking crest. I have never fired this weapon although I am very familiar with pistols and rifles. I guess I just never knew how to load it. We simply display this musket as it is such a beautiful piece. Can anyone tell me what to look for to determine what model it may be? I am also interested in making some of the paper cartridges like I see used in Williamsburg, only loaded with a ball. Perhaps I will take it to the range someday! Thanks for your help!

Check out Dixie Gun Works site. You may find the same or something similar still being made. Their customer service is good, and you'll find what you need to feed your frontstuffer and have a blast!

Yes, Dixie Gun Works is a good starting point to determine what model of the Brown Bess you own.

Identifying factors are barrel length, the Tower stamp on the lock, length of the tang on the butt plate and shape of the lock.

A barrel length of 42" is a very strong indication that it is a replica of a second model or the short land pattern musket. Believe that Dixie had the muskets made in Japan and were sold for celebration if the 200 anniversary if the American Revolution as well as being a good shooter.

Theses forums have lots of information on the making of a paper cartridge. You will need a volumetric powder measure to load 80 grains of 2fg black powder into the rolled paper cylinder. The ball should be about 0.715" in diameter, assuming that the bore measures about 0.750". The paper wrapping of the ball acts as a patch to hold the ball in the barrel. You can use the 2fg powder as the pan primer. Only use black powder, such as GOEX, Scheutzen, Wano, or KIK, as the substitutes will not fire in a flintlock.

You will be able to get the measure, cleaning jags, ball puller, ball, paper wrap, and the 1 1/8" flints needed for your musket from Dixie Gun Works. I use a 6" long 3/4" diameter dowel rod as a form to wrap my cartridges. Order their catalog too.

Read everything on these forums on cleaning. Proper cleaning will ensure that your musket remains beautiful now and in the future.

Back