• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We picked up my new .50 cal Hawken this afternoon. The previous owner told me that he used to operate a moving company and picked the .50 Hawken up as the fellow moving didn't want the rifle due to lack of interest. The rifle was brand new and had never been fired. I got this rifle after the owner had put 10 PRBs down range and discovered that he wasn't into Black powder muzzle loaders either. This rifle sat in his lockup for 15 years until he decided to put it up for trade or sale in a local internet site. I had a Remington 12 ga over/under shotgun that I purchased last spring and never fired it either. we traded straight across. The rifle is in pristine condition. I think I made one heck of a deal.

Reactions: smo
Decided to try a new dutch oven recipe. Have some fear friends coming for a visit and they always make good Guinea pigs. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_095500_277.jpg
    IMG_20210120_095500_277.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210120_095408_714.jpg
    IMG_20210120_095408_714.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 48
Closely examined a ML 12 ga sxs shotgun I bought from a member here. A Pedersoli. All in all the gun is an excellent value.
It is about a pound heavier than the unmentionable doubles I like to hunt with. This is not trifling if your usual gun is 6.5 lbs and this one 7.5 (round numbers) and you are following a dog all day.
After comparing the Pedersoli to doubles from Fox, Scott and Sauer I find the walls of the Pedersoli barrels are significantly thicker than the barrel walls of my unmentionables. Its additional weight all seems to be in the barrels.
Why oh why would they have done that?

Hung out on the deck in my sweats and slippers reading and relaxing until after 3pm when I got up and cast a batch of .490 RB for tomorrow's range foray. Just got through ordering a few #s of 3f OE from Graf.

That's it! :)

wm

Made it home tonight. 12 hr drive from Texas to Iowa , normal. But this time I spent around 3 hrs total stopping at
antique shops looking for blacksmith tools. Got interested 5 yrs ago. Well needless to say the SGT. MAJ was real
disappointed in me, as now we were on the road for 15 hrs. Got home and found parts I ordered , before we left,
on the bar and the no. 11 cap maker from .22 reloader in the mail box. So the scolding I got from the Sgt Maj wasn't
that bad. Vacation over , time to get garden started, was going to rebuild some of my raised beds , the price of lumber
scared the heck out of me. Maybe next year. The Sgt Maj is sleeping now { I hope } I better get to bed as I want to
leave the house before she gets up . I have a feeling she has more to say , share about our drive home, Anyone have
a spare bed room I can rent.
The Sgt Maj;s out of favor gunny
gunnyr
I maybe a private again

Made it home tonight. 12 hr drive from Texas to Iowa , normal. But this time I spent around 3 hrs total stopping at
antique shops looking for blacksmith tools. Got interested 5 yrs ago. Well needless to say the SGT. MAJ was real
disappointed in me, as now we were on the road for 15 hrs. Got home and found parts I ordered , before we left,
on the bar and the no. 11 cap maker from .22 reloader in the mail box. So the scolding I got from the Sgt Maj wasn't
that bad. Vacation over , time to get garden started, was going to rebuild some of my raised beds , the price of lumber
scared the heck out of me. Maybe next year. The Sgt Maj is sleeping now { I hope } I better get to bed as I want to
leave the house before she gets up . I have a feeling she has more to say , share about our drive home, Anyone have
a spare bed room I can rent.
The Sgt Maj;s out of favor gunny
gunnyr
I maybe a private again
Our raised beds are locust. Rated 90 year ground contact with no treatment at all.

Tried going on the Powder Inc. web site and got warnings from my computer that it was a dangerous site!? Strange since I've been on that site a lot lately checking on a recent purchase with no problems. But this morning I got warnings that site could be harmful to my computer. Anyone else have this problem?

Tried going on the Powder Inc. web site and got warnings from my computer that it was a dangerous site!? Strange since I've been on that site a lot lately checking on a recent purchase with no problems. But this morning I got warnings that site could be harmful to my computer. Anyone else have this problem?
I've been getting this same warning on various sites I explore , I just keep checking my anti virus set up,
gunnyr

Went to the range with a handful of .490 RB that I cast yesterday. When I went to load up the Deerhunter .50, I found that the OxYoke patches were .020 and darn near couldn't get the first one into the gun and didn't bother to try a second. What to do? I remembered a big sack of rags in the range shack so I went in, found one that looked like cotton t-shirt material and cut a 1"x1" square out of it. Since I didn't have any lube with me I simply stuck it in my mouth. The range master asked me whatinell I was doing so I said, "Making a spit patch". She said "I gotta see this!" Loaded up with 50 grains of 2f, the patch and a ball, leveled off at the 50 yard plate and hit it square center.

This is the kinda cool stuff one learns around here! :)

wm

About 15 years ago I had a water diverting wall put on the concrete pad under my deck, it only took 140 brick but I had to buy a whole pallet of 500. Like all left over stuff we tend to keep for that next project that never comes, my extra brick occupied a spot in the back yard, yesterday I decided I was tired of looking at it. I am a big fan of the Facebook market place and Craig's list to get rid of stuff and have found if you price it low enough there are plenty of people who will beat a path to your door to pick it up.

After I strike a deal there is often someone who really wants the item and will counter offer and promise to be there in 10 minutes to get the item. Of course for me a deal is a deal and no amount of extra cash will cause me to break the deal with buyer #1 after I tell him it is his.

The down side is John Q Public as a whole has no sense of honor or responsibility and may or may not show up as they promised. I had 8 people tell me that they were coming over to buy a gun cabinet one Saturday, I waited all day an not the first one showed up.

I am sure I could have put a dollar value on the brick and sold them but I just wanted them gone so I listed them as "free brick", local pick-up only, to see how long it took to get a response. I had two responses within the first hour of my listing. Guy #1 brought his wife and 3 kids to help load, drove over 50 miles and showed up on time.

Perhaps my 300-350 brick were worth more than I thought they were, the family sure wanted them and I was glad to see them gone.

View attachment 71547
When i post something for sale- it’s marked no holds, no delivery. Item held only with full payment via EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back