• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I irritated the shooters to the left of me and to the right. Smoked them out shooting my Hawken and my 1861 Springfield.

Attachments

• 16182512611528599907745897509394.jpg
    16182512611528599907745897509394.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 64
New purchase, definitely porcine!

Pitted bore and cylinder. I may be able to lap some of it out but the gun is never going to be perfect unless I can persuade my Firearms Officer to let me import a new barrel and cylinder. Now there's a flock of winged porcine beasts for you :eek:)

Pitted Bore2.jpg

Our 50 yard bench match, open class and peep sight classes, were well attended with some great scores despite strong winds. I think I placed about 6th in both 50 yard bench matches with an open sighted gun. Best of all I won the 50:50 playing card poker match, taking home $45.

I’m happy with my bench gun as in several of the targets the holes were about touching. It was my first match shooting left handed. My left eye is clearer. I need to decide how to set up the sights better for elevation. I had to guess how low to hold below the bullseye with a 6 o’clock hold. It’s mostly a chunk gun but I need to make it my bench gun too.

My smoothbore was giving me ignition fits. I pulled the breechplug last night and there was caked powder at the plug, all but blocking access to the touchhole. This seems a by-product of shooting 1F powder. I installed a barrel steel white lightning liner (not stainless) and hope it will fire more reliably and faster. I’m no good with hang fires.
@Grenadier1758
@Justin.44
Nothing like hangfires to teach one about follow-thru!

I can only follow through for part of a second- unless I’m shooting off the bench! Can’t wait to get back to the range and see how ignition is now.

A good friend and I went to the range today to burn some powder. I took my much used .45 Lancaster style flintlock; my friend had his eye candy .50 he built for himself. Can't swear to it but I may be finally getting just a tiny bit of my "mojo" back. No photos but did put 6 shots in 2-1/4" at 50 yds.

Picked up 30# of cleaned battery posts a friend's brother came up with.
When I got home and looked in the box there were two 2" cannonballs looking at me. Sure like to find out where those came from!

wm

I purchased a rifle from another member here and it arrived today, early enough to unpack it and give it a once over. It’s much nicer in person than the pictures could present. I love it when a transaction goes well from start to finish, and I can’t wait to try it out this weekend!

Put 20# of scrap lead into ingots. Started building new pads for the jump seats in the boat. Old school buddy stopped by on his way to LA and dropped off an 8# keg of modern powder and a pound of 4f Goex that he found in the shop.

wm

Probably take everything out and clean it. Quick patch down the barrel and a wipe down. I put em away clean so it doesn't take to long.

going for a ride out into the Owyhee mountains with my sister and her husband. Gonna find a hilltop and bbq some elk steaks. Good times:ghostly:

felt like i was back home in the 50's looking at your pictures, until the last one with the ridgid chopsaw and the visqueen.
did you one hand that anvil? :ghostly:

Ha! I know, and the Rigid will be gone soon. The anvil is nearly 450lbs 1923 Peter Wright from a steal mill in PA. I nearly broke my arm getting it into my truck, as it broke free from the dolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back