• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laid around in the house with a pulled muscle on my left side, Now I would not want to be the one who pulls the trigger on ole PHIL, But his country brethren are fair chase.

Windy, cold and snowy today, so I fixed a leak in my basement shower, helped with laundry and built a pizza from scratch for supper. Have a 750 piece jigsaw puzzle on the go as well. LOL

LOL - the underground menaces that dig burrows that livestock breaks legs in in the great State of Texas are hunted unmercifully.
All fair game, no limits! And dang fun to go after.
As a young lad when ammunition was too expensive to waste we would go "fishing for the dawgs........."
2' steel leader, heavy braided line, a stout catfish rated pole with a tough spool reel.
That's a sport unequaled in the fun zone!

Over forty years ago, early spring on the dairy farm. They weren't afraid of the tractors and you could drive right past the burrows while 'the menaces' would stay above ground. Heavy revolver in a cross draw put a dent in the population.

Wind chill roughly -25 to -30 F at the moment.
Inventoried my percussion caps.
Found some Fiocchi #327 I forgot I had, seem to equate to #10's in size.

Exciting times.
Mild expletive left out at the start of ...... and I’m wearing my long johns in minus four because I thought it was cold!😱

I thought about going deer hunting but the 50 mile drive this late in the season to public ground just didn't appeal to me even though the freezer stock is at a low point, a friend gave me a little button buck and that is it.

I felt like I had to do something so I deep cleaned the kitchen floor, I have a huge kitchen. I felt the pride of accomplishment after I was done so I guess it was a good thing. I am a widower and live alone.

Next I considered hunting my neighbors place but have yet to see a deer in the woods there this year so I thought "what's the point" and stayed home.

It is 3:30 and I still have time to kill when I spy the pile of 1099r forms on the kitchen table, dang I hate taxes, but I have to do them so I might as well start.

Turbo tax is my friend, only $30 this year for the whole shebang, including downloading all the forms from my IRA and pension from the various financial institutions and neatly inserting this info in my tax forms on line.

Turns out I owe $1400, not bad, this is for a minimum distribution from my IRA that went untaxed.

An hour later my return has been accepted by the feds, I let them debit my checking account for the amount owed and I am done with this stuff until next year.

An interesting footnote, I live in Alabama which has a state income tax. I retired from the Tennessee Valley Authority which the government power company for the Tennessee river valley from Bristol VA to Paduka Ky.

Years ago Alabama made an agreement with the TVA that if TVA would move their headquarters to Alabama TVA employees and retirees wouldn't have to pay state income tax. TVA moved and we have benefited from this move for at least 50 years.

I noticed on my Turbo Tax form I owed the state $3500 in state taxes but because of this agreement long ago I don't owe them a penny, pretty neat.

Ramble on old man, sometimes I can't help it.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm a range operator therefore I spend four days a week running the shooting rage for a very large gated community in the southern Sierra. Yesterday was a kick in the pants in particular. I started using some OxYoke lubed patches for my Traditions Deerhunter that I had additionally soaked in olive oil under a REAL bullet. I have a grunch of small 2"x3" ziplock baggies and ten to a baggie is perfect. Now that I've gotten used to the rifle's manual of arms I settled down to actually sight it in and shoot some groups. 30 yards away, the first couple shots went 3" right and dead on elevation-wise and a quick adjustment got me centered for seven more before I even considered swabbing the bore. These patches work really well!
Mikey showed up with a 1" cannon he built some time ago and we spent time smoking up the range with that for a bit. Lunch was wild pork sausage sammiches on the bbq from a 240# sow I clobbered last fall. Fun times!

wm

Last edited:
Well.... woke to -29f ambient temps with -67f including wind chill. Gonna relax, stay in and stay warm, and take in what will hopefully be a great game.
Walk

I thought about going deer hunting but the 50 mile drive this late in the season to public ground just didn't appeal to me even though the freezer stock is at a low point, a friend gave me a little button buck and that is it.

I felt like I had to do something so I deep cleaned the kitchen floor, I have a huge kitchen. I felt the pride of accomplishment after I was done so I guess it was a good thing. I am a widower and live alone.

Next I considered hunting my neighbors place but have yet to see a deer in the woods there this year so I thought "what's the point" and stayed home.

It is 3:30 and I still have time to kill when I spy the pile of 1099r forms on the kitchen table, dang I hate taxes, but I have to do them so I might as well start.

Turbo tax is my friend, only $30 this year for the whole shebang, including downloading all the forms from my IRA and pension from the various financial institutions and neatly inserting this info in my tax forms on line.

Turns out I owe $1400, not bad, this is for a minimum distribution from my IRA that went untaxed.

An hour later my return has been accepted by the feds, I let them debit my checking account for the amount owed and I am done with this stuff until next year.

An interesting footnote, I live in Alabama which has a state income tax. I retired from the Tennessee Valley Authority which the government power company for the Tennessee river valley from Bristol VA to Paduka Ky.

Years ago Alabama made an agreement with the TVA that if TVA would move their headquarters to Alabama TVA employees and retirees wouldn't have to pay state income tax. TVA moved and we have benefited from this move for at least 50 years.

I noticed on my Turbo Tax form I owed the state $3500 in state taxes but because of this agreement long ago I don't owe them a penny, pretty neat.

Ramble on old man, sometimes I can't help it.
From one old man to another, ramble away🥳 It’s interesting to find out about life on the other side of the pond.👍

I made a couple of nipple jigs so that I can turn my own Enfield nipples. Plan is to make a few so that I can 'batch' the making process and reduce the number of tooling changes.

Nipple Jigs.jpg

I have made a couple successfully even 'though I'm not saving much they are seven quid to buy whereas if I make them it's pence and my time. As my wife says to our friends "He's in his playpen keeping his mind ticking over"

Last edited:
Do your research for a breeder in your area. They really are pretty cool little animals. He will be our forth. Probably the least exotic of our exotic pets. Most of them are not mammals though. I prefer the non-mammal pets.

I’m fed up with lock-down. I have authority to buy two ‘new’ revolvers but can’t get to go and get them ndd,, what's worse the ranges are all closed.

I have powder, charges made up and, I’m getting in top of my domestic duties - sort of.........

I went out to the fettling shed while my wife was at the gym and

View attachment 56233

The mug of tea is a most essential piece of kit.

Another 200 .457 balls for my Rugers and another 100 .577 for my lovely Enfield.

What did anyone else do (shooting related - today)

I know those in the US have some day to go yet but here the sun will be gone in an hour.
i hiked 4 miles in almost knee deep snow, scouting and getting a workout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back