• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most veterans do get saluted one way or another. When one goes to the local Home Depot and gets a "thank-you for your service." On Veterans day the free meal at Denny's. Most retired veterans are on Tri-care for virtually free health care. Couple that with Medicare and it is free everything. Three times in the past I was pulled over by a police officer and as I shuffle around for my license the Military ID card surfaces in the array of other cards. Usually the police officer will let you go and "thank you for your service." And that because he has spent time in the military. Veterans do get saluted: however, they are in very subtle ways.

Cobra 6
Shame my country doesn’t see it the same way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most veterans do get saluted one way or another. When one goes to the local Home Depot and gets a "thank-you for your service." On Veterans day the free meal at Denny's. Most retired veterans are on Tri-care for virtually free health care. Couple that with Medicare and it is free everything. Do I sound like a stupid Democrat? Three times in the past I was pulled over by a police officer and as I shuffle around for my license the Military ID card surfaces in the array of other cards. Usually the police officer will let you go and "thank you for your service." And that because he has spent time in the military. Veterans do get saluted: however, they are in very subtle ways.

Cobra 6
My wife was a History teacher for almost 40 years, most of the locals know her. One is a State Trooper known to be tough with the rules. Got pulled over by him for not signaling when I passed someone. I have USMC veteran plates on my truck, he is a Marine as well. Had a handgun with me and told him so. His response was we'll both leave our guns alone. He let me go.

Don

Shame my country doesn’t see it the same way!

Back in 2000, when I handed in my Mod Form 90 [military ID card] for destruction after thirty-two years, three-hundred and fifty-six days continual service, the Corporal in the QM stores looked at me as he put it in the plastic shredder and said, 'Well, I won't have to call you 'sir' anymore now., will I?'

I walked out of the door and never looked back.

That was it.

Back in 69 when I was about to get out of the Army in Germany, the standard procedure was for the CO to have a long counseling session with every soldier and offer them a 10K reenlistment bonus to stay in. There were guys I knew who took this offer just so they could buy a new car, as soon as they signed on the dotted line they were shipped off to Vietnam in short order. We were all helicopter crewchiefs and apparently in short supply. The last two guys to take this offer had just been shipped to Germany from a tour in Vietnam to finish out their enlistment and back they went, I can't remember their names so I don't know if they survived or not.

The CO called me in and said "Krewson, I would be wasting my time trying to talk you into reenlisting wouldn't I "?, I said "Yep" and that was that. I had a wife and kid back in the states, I had stayed out of harms way for three years and wasn't about to push my luck any further.

wife and kid back in the states
Absolutely no way that I would volunteer for another tour. Especially with a wife and kid stateside. I was in Vietnam in 1969 and helicopters were being shot down all the time. That's why we had such a shortage of both crewchiefs and pilots. I salute you for making such an unselfish decision for your family.

Cobra 6

Back in 2000, when I handed in my Mod Form 90 [military ID card] for destruction after thirty-two years, three-hundred and fifty-six days continual service, the Corporal in the QM stores looked at me as he put it in the plastic shredder and said, 'Well, I won't have to call you 'sir' anymore now., will I?'

I walked out of the door and never looked back.

That was it.
I had a similar experience. A Petty Officer Writer said “Just give me your membership card mate and that’s it.” I said “I am not now and never will be your mate. Until I finish my terminal leave I am still a Master-ar-Arms and your superior officer. Now address me properly as befits my rank and ask me in a professional manner or I will delay my leave long enough to see you charged with insubordination.”

I too never looked back.

It is!

A quick 'throw' together' from shop junk just to see the practicality as a rest for carrying out to the 'range' .

A mini-car jack, a piece of flat plate with a boat trailer rubber 'V' block lined with leather and mounted to board. It works pretty well but will get modified a little to work even better!

Below is a better pic of it during the 'testing' phase!
View attachment 56288
Great idea, but whats in the Mason jar??

Took the Lyman GPR out to the rifle range this morning. It seems to gather crowds and the onlookers ended up firing it more that I did. That's ok I'll take the satisfied grins and the stories any day.

Brought her home and cleaned, oiled, and now back in the safe. I could tell that the other rifles were jealous. :)

Took the Lyman GPR out to the rifle range this morning. It seems to gather crowds and the onlookers ended up firing it more that I did. That's ok I'll take the satisfied grins and the stories any day.

Brought her home and cleaned, oiled, and now back in the safe. I could tell that the other rifles were jealous. :)

Glad to see you get this thread back on track.
This is a muzzle loading forum and this thread was going so far off of that area I was giving serious thought to closing it.

If we get back to rehashing old army experiences or rebuilding truck engines or the like, I'll close this thread.

Yesterday took a walk to the farthest berm on the range - hoping my back would straighten out. So-so results, will try it again today. So far just folding laundry is a challenge.

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 8.31.28 PM.png

Took the Lyman GPR .54 flintlock out for a range session this morning. Sight-in definitely needs another session, but had a good time nonetheless.

Today I got everything inletted. On to the shaping - should take me an hour for the rough shape with the fast speed grinder/sander and 28 grit belt.
Leman 2.jpg

Made a bit to upgrade my home-made sizer. I have an old English made single stage press with a very good power ratio, it uses the standard die thread so I made a bit to fit. The brass sizers in different diameters I made to try and find the best results for my gun. The smallest one .560 takes out most of the lube on my minnies. It looks like I’m heading for a Pritchett mould when I get the size right.
3EF7B002-DC3E-4F6C-9BC1-8CFEE09039B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 18E0E803-E2BF-4857-B64E-0D2CDC613A98.jpeg
    18E0E803-E2BF-4857-B64E-0D2CDC613A98.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back