• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What caps do you use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I primarily hunt whitetail in temperatures from -5 degrees F to 45 degrees F usually dry and cold. My elk hunting is usually 15F-45F with sloppy wet to snowy. I have always used RWS 1075 Hot caps and sometimes a musket cap on some side hammer guns. The problem is is that on my underhammer guns the caps are a little loose, I just give them a squeeze between my fingers and install on nipple then shoot. I would change nipples but I just got 15 of them before last hunting season for my underhammers so I'm kinda stuck with them. The cci and cci magnum caps fit better but when I snap a cap they sound wimpy compared to he RWS caps. I tried some of the remington caps and they won't seat down far enough. I thought about those little red O rings to keep the water out when hunting, but I have used those hunting and sometimes the break off and sometimes they stay stay stuck to nipple kinda sucks for quick follow up shoots. I know everyone in the muzzleloader business are way more then fair with all there customers should I ask them to exchange them thanks for you input GTC

For hunting in Ohio where the temps range from the teens to fifties with rain I use only RWS caps. After puting them on the nipple I rub the area at the base of the cap and nipple with a thin strip of leather covered with carnuba wax. I have never had any misfires since I started this about fifteen years ago. IMHO RWS caps are less likely to misfire in wet weather than CCI or Remintons.

I've been using CCI, as that was what I can find locally most recently. I like Remington just as well and IMHO the foil liner might give a bit more moisture protection. The Remington's seem to fragment more, for better or worse, and occasionally a CCI will be stuck fast to the nipple tight enough I have to pry it off with the edge of a knife.

If it's snowy or rainy I keep a waxed cow's knee over the lock until I'm ready to shoot.

. july 23 / 02:50am

remingtons all the way !

after only 600, one dud; zero falling off; average cost including haz-mat, retail price per 1000, and shipping: $.06 each

~d~

I usually use RWS, wether #11 or musket, and then put a quarter sized piece of thin leather between the cap and the hammer. I do this on both sidelocks and underhammers, it keeps the cap dry and holds it in place safely. tie the leather to your trigger guard and you won't lose it.
Mark

CCI for the range but I just bought some RWS for hunting as they are longer and fit very tightly on the nipple. Don't want 'dead man's click' in the field.

I use and will continue to use CCI mags.99% of the time I have had a failure,it was my failure,
not the caps.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

I use whichever I can find if they're temporarily in short supply, whichever is cheapest when they're plentiful.

For a long time I was shooting CCI cuzz that's all I could find. They moved up to around $6 a tin, and I was starting to pucker until I found some Remington recently for $3 a tin.

So far, I can't tell the difference between them. Maybe I'm just not looking for it because I'm not competing. They're both reliable even in our wet climate, and I can't see any difference in accuracy, ignition time, POI or anything else.

I've got a couple of cartons laid by now for the short periods, but I'll probably go ahead and pick up a carton or two more when I can find them cheap, mostly because I'm cheap too. Won't matter to me which brand it is.

The RWS caps are my favorites, by I'll be honest - in a pinch I use what's handy.

I don't shoot competitively, but I do work for accuracy. I also shoot more flintlock than percussion these days.

BUT

I have traded and fenagled quite a few guns over the years and have accumulated a couple dozen tins of caps of various makes. So I use 'em.

Most of the caplocks I shoot do fine with just about any cap (although I do have one old CVA gun that I have found to be rather cantankerous. But even that old gun goes bang if I use real black powder).

:hatsoff:
Spot

CCI is Good but my preferance is the RWS...I use musket caps..Never any ignition issues in a variety on MLers sooting Pyrodex RS. Rain, Shine, Sun, Humid....we get it all sooner or latter here in my part of Oergon.

Prefer RWS. CCI a distant 2nd.

Hope Remington fixed theirs where the foil thingy stays in the cap but a real pain to open a tin and see 5-6 innardes lying loose in the bottom, now which ones don't have any primer?

Back